Aiming an o/u

captainhastings

Started back shooting this year with a 20g s/b hushpower. At first I couldn't hit a thing but when I gave up trying too aim it and now basically point it in the right direction with both eyes open and obscure the target with the barrel I am having success.

I rang out of cartridges the other day and swapped too my baikal o/u and thought with no drain pipe barrel I should try and aim but no luck I couldn't hit a barn door.

Plus having two barrels I found I was just wasting the second shot in a forlorn attempt.

Any advice for me please ?

I just shoot pigeons as a rule

Firstly you dont aim a shotgun as such , the aim is to put the shot where your intended target will be by the time the shot gets there , this means following the bird and getting ahead(lead) of it before pulling the trigger if you have got it right the shot and target will collide.

If you are aiming then the chances are you are shooting behind the target , so keep the swing going through the pigeon and use the old adage bum,belly,beak,bang but remember to keep swinging as you pull the trigger , the only bird you are likely to hit by blocking it out is one thats coming directly at you.

Fit isnt that esential either. None of my guns are fitted but I've manahed to ajusted the mount differently with both my shotguns. I always practice my mount the night before I go shooting, even though I look like a total pillock dry mounting a shotgun im my yfronts in front of the mirror..... Curtains closed of course.

Fit isnt that esential either. None of my guns are fitted but I've manahed to ajusted the mount differently with both my shotguns. I always practice my mount the night before I go shooting, even though I look like a total pillock dry mounting a shotgun im my yfronts in front of the mirror..... Curtains closed of course.

Window or Y front curtains? :lol:

We will ignore the swing at this moment in time :hmm:

Go get some lessons, that WILL pay dividends. It does sound as if you may have eye dominance problems in addition to swing issues. Try this - you can do it in public. Point index finger of right hand (I asume you are right handed) up in the air and hold are out in front of eyes. "Aim" you hand and arm at a fixed object (like say a door handle) with both eyes open. Close each eye in turn you will find when you close your dominant eye the finger will appear to move against your "target". If it is the left that generates movement you are right handed shot left eye dominant. Cure then is to close left eye at point of firing (just like a rifle). That way the gun is pointing where the shot will go.

I find my s/b 12g Hushpower shoots low,as I use it a lot i've got used to it & aim high(blot out the target) but when I use my O/U I have to consciously alter my sight picture or I miss over the top.Had the same some years ago when I had a S/S that shot low compared to the O/U I had at the time.

No

The angle of the dangle :lol::hmm:

The angle of the dangle can only equal the beat ot the meat as long as the throb of the k**b remains constant! :lol::lol::lol:

I surpose in other words you need to keep your swing steady and regular! :rolleyes:

It's not too advisable to practice this in front of the mirror in case the other half comes in and catches you! :blush::blush::blush:

On a serious note: I have found that my shotgun shooting has improved no end due to me keeping both eyes open when aquiring the target and firing. This is not an easy thing to do for someone who is predominantly a "rifle man" and used to always closing one eye when aiming!

Edited by Frenchieboy