new rifle range for NI

From reading various articles in the papers and the Shooting Times this new range sounds like a commercial venture . I wonder how much it will cost as the fees for another range outside Ballymena are quite stiff and they do not have the range of facilities that these people will have.

From reading various articles in the papers and the Shooting Times this new range sounds like a commercial venture . I wonder how much it will cost as the fees for another range outside Ballymena are quite stiff and they do not have the range of facilities that these people will have.

I often hear stories of certain clubs being difficult to get into. You have to know somebody who knows somebody who then refers you to the membership secretary who then decides whether your face fits etc. This leaves many people in the dark about club membership over here. It creates a feeling of closed culture which probably prevents shooters from making further enquiries about club membership, thus preventing growth of our sport. This culture unfortunately does exist over here.

Now let's imagine this culture doesn't exist for a minute. The members who were looking to join a club would be in one. Then a new club comes along boasting bigger ranges and better facilities. The existing clubs should feel less threatened because they know that they have done everything in their power to ensure healthy membership numbers. Some members might defect, but most would remain content with what they have.

Now revert back to the current culture. The current clubs over here have scored so many own goals with their membership policies, that this new proposed club will undoubtedly impact their revenue (providing it receives the funding it requires). The current clubs will start rumours about it in an attempt to ward not only the their existing members, but budding members away from it too. Look at the amount of shooters who would like to join a club, but are unable to because of barriers put in place by said clubs. A new establishment like the one proposed here would be very appealing to those shooters would it not?

Out of speculation, I very much doubt that 1000 members is achievable. If it did happen though, there would be an awful lot of paperwork for the club, not to mention the pressure on the membership secretary and other club officials when it came to 30/40's etc.

I think it is understandable that given the security situation here that clubs are careful who they consider for membership. They have to be careful around the security of club members who have being targeted in the past and their firearms stolen. Also who they give a letter of support for firearms and ammunition that could be misused. Recommendations and introductions from other members isn't perfect but how else do they vet possible members.

does this mean this new range will say yep to anyone? recipe for disaster. can't see it being committee run either which means its his way or the highway.just can't see it working out with the best interests of all involved.you want the facilities you have to be prepared to pay . think you will find this one will be expensive and he will aim for the big money men .

Ordance...I have made no assertion that there is any sectarianism in NI guns clubs, so your request for evidence is inappropriate...I just asked a 'stupid' question. ;)

Many thanks for the knowledgeable points of view...I really hope it works out.

Sectarianism still exists in NI...I dare say everyone knows that...I wish a new generation would see the utter folly of sectarianism and take permanent steps to remove it from NI society. I live in hope.

:|

How is that relevant?

well ordance said in his post that gun clubs need to be careful who they let join the club so im just saying with a man with terrorist family members sum of who have FACs so if they join the club then would he refuse his family members knowen what their sidekicks get up to in their spare time also would he be thinking what if they pass on to their sidekicks whos got guns what type etc etc

well ordance said in his post that gun clubs need to be careful who they let join the club so im just saying with a man with terrorist family members sum of who have FACs so if they join the club then would he refuse his family members knowen what their sidekicks get up to in their spare time also would he be thinking what if they pass on to their sidekicks whos got guns what type etc etc

All you're doing there is working off assumptions. If the police over here thought along the same lines, there would be very few people allowed to possess legally held firearms in the North regardless of geographical location.