204 ruger ?

Amazed

Hi all

I have been researching my next gun and ammo a bit and couldn't help noticing the staggering performance on paper of the for mentioned round the 204. And I was woundering why it has not come up in conversation as a foxing round maybe. Thanks Karl.

Its a catch 22 I'd have thought Charlie its more the fault of the Hornet owners ;)

If you are after a pure fox and vermin caliber it does seem to tick a lot of boxes. I went .223 for the simple reason we have muntjac about so it made more sense but those that have a .204 certainly seem to like them.

Its a catch 22 I'd have thought Charlie its more the fault of the Hornet owners ;)

If you are after a pure fox and vermin caliber it does seem to tick a lot of boxes. I went .223 for the simple reason we have muntjac about so it made more sense but those that have a .204 certainly seem to like them.

Are that would include myself then as I have put in for the hornet lol :) what caught my eye was its similaritys to the 22/250 only about 5 inch drop out to 300 yards. If I was only after cf for foxes then the 204 would be looking good for a first choice. Thanks for the input :)

Karl.

based on the old .222 mag case i think, that was a good gun i used one years ago. one issue is the ammo, sometimes its hard getting the precise 6mm /.224 expanding you want locally let alone a .20. balistically it beats the .223 but only once you get out to 300yds or so. In fairness many hardly ever shoot that far out so it makes no matter if you stick with the more common calibre. I looked at it when i was after a small centrefire, though it cant beat the .243 at those extended ranges and was more gun i needed for the use i had in mind, so no place in the cabinet (i was offered a brand new one way below retail as the dealer had it taking up space)

if i was after a better .223rem i should get a .223 AI , easier to feed and the best of the smaller .22 cf rounds to my mind at least. It the (.20 generally) will never realy grab the UK market very strong and if you think a Hornet can be difficult to feed day to day...................

I've just swapped my Tikka T3 .223 for a Kimber Classic Varmint .204 along with the latest Atech Moderator- just awaiting my FAC back with varied slots for Rifle & Mod - Can come soon enough - they've started combining on 2 of my Permissions !!!

Hello mate. I would like to start by saying I absolutely love the .204 ruger. I've had .223 & .243 ar15, rem700, steyr ssg etc for foxing and last year traded my much loved steyr for a savage fcv in .204 ruger. It was the best CF rifle choice I have ever made. I found .243 too loud and sometimes overkill whilst foxing sub

300m (95% of time). With a decent moderator I find my .204 only as loud as my .17hmr, there is no recoil to speak of so you can also watch your bullet strikes through the scope! The only draw back is you

will need a deer rifle if necessary. To finish my rant I will say buy a .204 and you won't regret it. Make sure you get a rifle with 26" barrel to maximise velocity. I would also strongly recommend a savage FCV .5" 100m groups all day long. 1" @200m. I've shot 62 foxes out of 65 shots since last nov closest 58y furthest 286y and I'm no hot shot!

Any questions fire away mate. Atb Dave.

I have a Howa .204 and I love it. Still waitig for my first fox, although harvest will be starting soon! Had plenty of long range rabbits and pigeons. It was recommended to me by a pal, who is also on here Si-bore who is reknowned for his long range shots. It was his first cal, he then sold it to another lad and I bought it from him. The only reason Maxi sold the Howa is he does a lot of walking on his perm so wanted something lighter. He has bought a Tikka .204. IIRC he is into the 30's for fox this year for the .204 cal.

If you do a search for Bigsigh66 on YouTube you will see my rifle taking a rabbit at 458 yards.

Regards

Jonathan

I have a ruger in .204 I love it. I've taken foxes out to 300yds with it and no issues. The ammo and kit is becoming more widely available. The local shops near me have started selling ready mades and bullets and cases for it. The biggest issue I had was trying to get a cleaning kit for it but Edgar brothers do one now. All in all a brilliant calibre and great fun to boot

Just to add my experiance with a 204..

i had a howa 204 but i found with the round being so fast it tended to zip thru foxes and didnt kill cleanly unless you could head shoot them..

i had 2 runners with engin room shots..so went back to a tikka 223 no issues there, it could just be poor shot placement on my behalf but as said no issues with the 223...

Thank you all for your comments :) I will let you know what my feo says, I have already put in for the hornet so when I get a phone call of a visit I will ask about the 204 as an alternative ;) thanks

Karl.

The .204 aint an alternative to a .22 hornet - its a different thing entirely. They both fill different needs, get you actual need in order and the correct gun will always be the one that suits them best. people have different needs so we have different cartriges available. If you needing to shoot fox and crows out to 300yds or further on a regular basis the .204 is a great choice

Just to add my experiance with a 204..

i had a howa 204 but i found with the round being so fast it tended to zip thru foxes and didnt kill cleanly unless you could head shoot them..

i had 2 runners with engin room shots..so went back to a tikka 223 no issues there, it could just be poor shot placement on my behalf but as said no issues with the 223...

Just out of curiosity could this not have been down to bullet choice or load rather than the calibre. I mostly chest shoot fox and very rarely head shoot and most of the time the exit wound is a big one even sub 50yds. The only time I've ever had runners is when I've ballsed it up rather than anything else. What round were you using?

Edited by hendersons

Just out of curiosity could this not have been down to bullet choice or load rather than the calibre. I mostly chest shoot fox and very rarely head shoot and most of the time the exit wound is a big one even sub 50yds. The only time I've ever had runners is when I've ballsed it up rather than anything else. What round were you using?

if i remember it was the Hornady v-max round..it was awesom on crows and magpies but just found problems on foxes..

factory round 32 grain i think..

Yes the 32 grain have been known to cause splash wounds on foxes, in my opinion the 45 hornady soft point would be a better choice for foxes.

unless you reload and use the 39 grn sbk or other 40 grn offerings.

If you reload have a look at the 20 tactical same velocities less powder

i,v gone down to 32 grain noslers find them better on foxes than 39 bk and 40 grain vmax had a runner with 39 bk (poor shot by me )run 40ish mts but was dead when we got there ( but to be fair i have had a runner with my 243 you are going to get this now and again ) just find the noslers open up a lot more these are home loads

Edited by magnum

The .204 aint an alternative to a .22 hornet - its a different thing entirely. They both fill different needs, get you actual need in order and the correct gun will always be the one that suits them best. people have different needs so we have different cartriges available. If you needing to shoot fox and crows out to 300yds or further on a regular basis the .204 is a great choice

What I am after Kent is a long range bunny/ crow gun what I would call a static rifle, something I can sit with on the hill at the back of my permission, I have a good view with good backstops of about 160 degs . But as its never been passed for centre fire the hornet seemed a good starting ask as the twitchy fire arms department will go off paper and to be honest it will do the job I am asking of it quite well. But as the manufactures seem to be fasing this round out it will give me the op to ask for a more modern round just out of the availability aspect. 17 rem or 204 maybe but nothing too big as the bunny option will go out off the widow as I like to eat them ;) it was the approach I was advised to take.

Thankyou for your input :)

Karl.

What I am after Kent is a long range bunny/ crow gun what I would call a static rifle, something I can sit with on the hill at the back of my permission, I have a good view with good backstops of about 160 degs . But as its never been passed for centre fire the hornet seemed a good starting ask as the twitchy fire arms department will go off paper and to be honest it will do the job I am asking of it quite well. But as the manufactures seem to be fasing this round out it will give me the op to ask for a more modern round just out of the availability aspect. 17 rem or 204 maybe but nothing too big as the bunny option will go out off the widow as I like to eat them ;) it was the approach I was advised to take.

Thankyou for your input :)

Karl.

The Hornet aint being phased out mate, your listening to too many instant experts. for pitys sake Hornady have just revitalised it with the .17 version. People were saying the Hornet was being phased out when the .22 Bee was launched only 8yrs after it exeptance as a factory round and then the .222 rem in 1950 - that was 62 yrs ago they is sure taking there time about phasing it out.

if you dont get the Hornet then its the wrong gun but if your thinking this side of 200 and your a moderatly good shot its ideal for your purpose. If you looked at the Hornet and the .20 Ruger in the UK i should think the Hornet will be with us longer as it operates in a more unique slot. you can do the .20 rugers job with about half a dozen different established rounds (not that its a bad round) try finding a match for the hornet..............

The Hornet aint being phased out mate, your listening to too many instant experts. for pitys sake Hornady have just revitalised it with the .17 version. People were saying the Hornet was being phased out when the .22 Bee was launched only 8yrs after it exeptance as a factory round and then the .222 rem in 1950 - that was 62 yrs ago they is sure taking there time about phasing it out.

if you dont get the Hornet then its the wrong gun but if your thinking this side of 200 and your a moderatly good shot its ideal for your purpose. If you looked at the Hornet and the .20 Ruger in the UK i should think the Hornet will be with us longer as it operates in a more unique slot. you can do the .20 rugers job with about half a dozen different established rounds (not that its a bad round) try finding a match for the hornet..............

I have been looking about and am finding the hornet is still very available and am thinking my first decision was the best and I will be sticking with the hornet. As interesting as the other rounds look this will do just fine for me :) thanks mate.

Karl.

I have been looking about and am finding the hornet is still very available and am thinking my first decision was the best and I will be sticking with the hornet. As interesting as the other rounds look this will do just fine for me :) thanks mate.

Karl.

pleased to be of service :good: Was out last night with mine lst night, have bigger,-