Making a Gunning Punt and Punt Gun

Wildfowler

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK... I've been extremely busy with one thing or another so progress on the gun has been very slow! (apologies for lack of updates! i don't want anyone turning to drink!!! :) )

I haven't touched it for a few weeks but managed to grab an hour or so on Sunday so I started making the sleeve to go over the barrel.

The billet is 3 1/2' diameter x 400mm long. I started by mounting it using the fixed steady whilst facing it off and drilling a centre hole.

Then i put a centre in the end and turned the OD so the steady could run on a nice surface and it will give me a surface to clock along later to ensure the bores line up as i will have to drill and bore it from each end.

Edited by Wildfowler

Once i had turned the OD i put the steady back up and took the centre out. I then pilot drilled it 1/2'' as deep as i could and drilled it our 32mm (big enough to get the boring bar in but leaving enough to set up the boring bar and get it cutting consistently.

Just read the whole thread after breakfast , this would have made an excellent TV series like the ones Mark Evans did on building car/plane projects ( a punt gun is born ) , best read since " Kenzie The Wild Goose Man "

Julian

Edited by Zulu

Just read the whole thread after breakfast , this would have made an excellent TV series like the ones Mark Evans did on building car/plane projects ( a punt gun is born ) , best read since " Kenzie The Wild Goose Man "

Julian

Thanks! I'd love to be given the opportunity to do something like that! Do something i love and get paid for it! :) Who knows maybe one day...

myself and a friend have just bought a punt and gun but only a single as a project for us , but we are on the look out for a double or having one built so we could be in touch..

Well if you want one building i would be interested in having a chat about it!

I've thought a couple of times about what the setup would be valued at... I suppose its what someone is willing to pay for it...

Anyone got any ideas? don't worry, you wont offend if you think its worthless! (As I've put previously, I've built it for me and my boys)

£5,000 to £7,000 ????

Maybe more if made to order ?

I know for me to be able to make enough stock to make the Damascus project we talked about I'm looking at £2,000 just to be in the right workshop with the right materials !!!!

Then there's the man hours to actually forge weld everything pattern it , then the anealing etc ..

There big projects made in the uk that allways costs alot more !!!!

Will the part your making now be threaded through the centre and screwed on to the breach of the barrel or soldered ?

You gonna want a massive gun safe for that bad lad onces it's made !!!

:)

So one day you woke up and decided you wanted to build a punt.

So you built a workshop in which to build said punt, you built the trailer for the punt, and now your building the punt gun to go onto it.

You Sir, are Amazing. :yes:

Next on your list of things to build will be a very large Gun Cabinet. :good:

It was my dads 60th coupled with fathers day so i didn't get any where near as much done as i planned to over the weekend.

I managed a couple of hours on the gun yesterday. I carried on drilling out the barrel sleeve. As the drill flutes aren't long enough to drill the full 200mm deep to get half way through, i counter bored the hole to let the swarf out. I then turned it around, roughed the face off and repeated the drilling opps.

Edited by Wildfowler

so this evening i started making a medium sized boring bar out of an old piece of bar, that will take a HSS insert. I'll try to get it finished tomorrow and give it a go. I made one similar to this recently for cutting the internal thread on the breach and it worked perfectly.

No, gun barrels are bored using a special tool, depending in the machine your using. To do it on a lathe like mine you would use a special type of drill that steadies itself using the hole it has created, enabling you to drill very deep with no risk of vibration. As I'm only boring 400mm, 200 from each end it really isn't worth making such an elaborate tool as the bore of the hole is only to fit over the barrel itself.

If on the other hand I were to be boring a barrel I would make a propper barrel drill. ;)

As for the book, whilst I would probably quite enjoy doing it, I really don't think there would be much of an audience! :(

If anyone would like to finance the construction of another setup whilst someone else pays me to make a book or tv series, I would of course feel obliged to consider it!!! :)

Alas, I don't see that happening...

All was going well until the second cut in, when for some unknown reason, the HSS tip snapped off and embeded itself into the bore. I got it out and ground up a new tip and carried on. No major catastrophe just wasted best part of an hour frigging about

I think the first tip broke due to poor HSS as the second one did all of the rest without sharpening it, and i did work it very hard!

Once i got the hole large enough i used the big bar for the finish cuts.