Wasnt the 70,s just a bloody brilliant Musical decade

Fisherman Mike

We all have our era..but for me the 70,s was just a wonderfull decade for the development of Music. Weve had a Barby this afternoon and I had my old LP,s out and couldnt help sharing my top Guitarist from that era...

Please no " Page would have buried him or so and so was better by far..." its not a competition those of us who grew as teenagers in that era just enjoy a truly brilliant Guitarists doing what he does wonderfully well....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSECQtF58BU

Sounds like dire straits

Sounds like dire straits

Thats Probably because Knoffler was heavily infulenced by old Carlos....

One last one for you unfortunate 20 30 and 40 somethings........perhaps the greatest Bass Riff from the period the late great Ian Dury...record...must admit I thought they were naff until I saw them at the Hammersmith Odeon and after realised what great musicians they were.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opDEoTZnrwg

Edited by Fisherman Mike

Doctor Feelgood the best live band I saw in the 70's Wilko Johnson my favourite guitar player and nutter

:stupid:

For a fellow fan a little extra treat courtesy of you tube :good: They really were a great band live - Lee Brilleaux was a brilliant front man and greatly underrated - one of the best for me along with Bon Scott and Hugh Cornwall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jmIYyskDM8

Edited by Caisterboy

:stupid:

For a fellow fan a little extra treat courtesy of you tube :good: They really were a great band live - Lee Brilleaux was a brilliant front man and greatly underrated - one of the best for me along with Bon Scott and Hugh Cornwall

The Stranglers, Dr Feelgood and AC/DC (with the late great Bon Scott) , played regularly at West Runton Links Pavillion (North Norfolk (not for your benefit Caisterboy) :D ) in the mid/late 1970's. All awesome bands in their own way. Halcyon days!

I could never call myself a musical purist and though i can appreciate how technically good the guitarists mentioned are and were, it was always the one's that had a "special noise" that i went for - Wilko, Angus Young, SRV, George Thorogood & Steve Jones all did it for me - not technically brilliant but instantly recognisable each and every one :good: - and dont get me started on Joe Satriani :no:

The Stranglers, Dr Feelgood and AC/DC (with the late great Bon Scott) , played regularly at West Runton Links Pavillion (North Norfolk (not for your benefit Caisterboy) ) in the mid/late 1970's. All awesome bands in their own way. Halcyon days!

How did you guess :D:whistling: . AC/DC twice in GY - The Tower Ballroom and Vauxhall holiday Camp - who'd believe it eh !

I could never call myself a musical purist and though i can appreciate how technically good the guitarists mentioned are and were, it was always the one's that had a "special noise" that i went for - Wilko, Angus Young, SRV, George Thorogood & Steve Jones all did it for me - not technically brilliant but instantly recognisable each and every one :good: - and dont get me started on Joe Satriani :no:

Hear hear - One of the worst things to ever happen to music was the likes of Satriani, Michael Schenker, Yngwie Malsteem and the like who were all very competent musicians when in a band, but once the egos took over and the widdly widdly stuff came out with 15 minute solos..........Oh dear

I loved a lot of 70's punk especially as they really weren't very polished and the recordings were raw and all the better for it - You got all the aggression and excitement from a couple of silly chords (Feel alright by The Stooges anyone??) Something that's actually lost I reckon on digital vs vinyl.