Whodunnit?

Walking birds in this evening and one of the lads said he'd found two birds outside the pen the other day with no heads.Apart from a little balding on the back(which could have existed when delivered on 12th August)there wasn't a mark on them.What culprit would you point the finger at?I reckon fox has ambushed several birds outside the pen in thick cover and bitten heads off in frenzy as they sometimes do in a chicken coop,but I'm only guessing.Any thoughts?

Further vote for Tawny Owl.

Normally the neck is more or less there but no head or just the back of the head off.

They don't seem to eat much of the kill and it stops once the poults reach about 10-12 weeks of age. Still damned annoying.

Fox kills tend to be crushed across the back, a bit slobbery and more usual to find the neck bitten off right at the body.

Walking birds in this evening and one of the lads said he'd found two birds outside the pen the other day with no heads.Apart from a little balding on the back(which could have existed when delivered on 12th August)there wasn't a mark on them.What culprit would you point the finger at?I reckon fox has ambushed several birds outside the pen in thick cover and bitten heads off in frenzy as they sometimes do in a chicken coop,but I'm only guessing.Any thoughts?

Years ago I was looking after our shoots modest pen of 25 birds, arriving one day everything was ominously quiet. Because the entire stock in the pen were dead and headless, the heads mainly lying outside the pen wire. The culprit was a fox cub dead in one of the snares, I still wonder why so many of the birds pushed their heads through the wire to suffer such a fate. Could there heve been more than one cub with the birds herded to their demise.

Blackpowder

Years ago I was looking after our shoots modest pen of 25 birds, arriving one day everything was ominously quiet. Because the entire stock in the pen were dead and headless, the heads mainly lying outside the pen wire. The culprit was a fox cub dead in one of the snares, I still wonder why so many of the birds pushed their heads through the wire to suffer such a fate. Could there heve been more than one cub with the birds herded to their demise.

Blackpowder

We have had the same this year found 6 with the heads clean off but the bodies and heads where not taken.

• 1 month later...