Silver Pigeon 1

PaulieWalnuts

I bought a 32" sporter recently which I'm generally very pleased with. The stock finish is the weak point though. after one afternoon on rape stubble the stock looked in worse shape than my 60 year old side by side! I've been oiling the stock and it's starting to look better, but I'm surprised the finish was so delicate and poor on a brand new gun. Other than the finish on the stock, it's a cracking gun.

I bought a 32" sporter recently which I'm generally very pleased with. The stock finish is the weak point though. after one afternoon on rape stubble the stock looked in worse shape than my 60 year old side by side! I've been oiling the stock and it's starting to look better, but I'm surprised the finish was so delicate and poor on a brand new gun. Other than the finish on the stock, it's a cracking gun.

Yep... Now you mention it I also had an issue with the stock in that after shooting in the rain it went spotty.

A very light tub down and re coating with walnut oil sorted the problem but Beretta asked for me to send it back as it shouldn't have happened. I never bothered as it would mean being without the gun for several weeks.

Other than that it has been perfect !!

I've a game model with 30'' tubes. Found it muzzle heavy at first, having gone from a 28'' sporter, so put a few strips of lead in the stock so now it balances on the hinge pin. Quite surprised how much was taken out of the stock, maybe if they left more in it would of been better balanced :hmm: As others have said, I've oiled the stock as well, looked awful after a soaking. All in all very pleased with it.

I have the SP1 30" the stock is the weak pont of the gun and needs oiling before using it, there are several reports of the stock getting marked by water, other wise its a nice gun. Comes with optima chokes on the sporting model.

I didn't oil the stock on my SP1 before using it and paid the price when it got rained on - water spots all over it. I removed most of the spotting with Isopropyl Alcohol and then rubbed it down *very* gently with grade 0000 steel wool dipped in stock oil. I've finished it off with a couple of coats of burnishing wax. It looks even better than when it was new but I'm in no hurry to take it out in the rain again. It's a great gun and feels like it will last for years but, for £1300-ish, I think Beretta could and should have done a better job with the stock.

BTW mine is the game model - 30" barrels and mobil chokes.

Edited by brno223

I use ccl stock conditioning oil on mine you just rub it in with the palm of your hand, it really does work a treat !!!!

+1 for the CCL conditioning oil.

When I contacted Beretta about the problem they explained that they also use CCL on new stocks and advised to finish it with a hard bees wax.

So far I've only applied 4 or 5 coats of CCL and haven't had any further problems.

V