Minutes from disaster - Silly me

libs

Chaps, bit of a drama today. To say it was scary would be a huge understatement... Just thought I'd share the story to serve as a warning to home DIY-ers and shed enthusiast!

Moving back to uni soon, getting my possessions in order and I find that I have lost the bolts for my office chair. Searched high and low for bolts to fit but there was nothing. I found a length of 10mm threaded rod which I decided to make some bolts from. I cut four lengths and set about welding some shanks onto them in order to be able to finger tighten them. I set the bolt sections in the vice on my large bench in the garage (which is part of a weird outbuilding complex that the last occupants built, large rooms with kitchenette and a bathroom etc) ready to arc weld the shanks onto.

I did all my welding and noticed I had set some sawdust smouldering on the bench so I wiped it over with a damp rag, checked around for embers then left to fit the bolts. Off I went to enjoy tea and medals for my hard work... An hour or so later a chap that works on cars from his garage that shares a large alleyway with mine came and knocked to let me know smoke was coming from my garage. I presumed it would just be residual welding smoke seeping out but I picked up a C02 fire extinguisher just in case. As I opened the door leading into the corridor down to the garage I was hit with a strong acrid smell and thick smoke, I quickly moved along the corridor as low as I could. I felt the garage door handle which was cool, and as I slowly opened the door I was hit with a wall of thick white vile smelling smoke which nearly burnt my eyes out of my head, I saw the smoke pouring from underneath my work bench and pointed the fire extinguisher in its general direction and dumped the lot.

This didn't seem to have an effect so well in the throws of adrenaline I pulled what I could out from under then bench and three canvas tool bags came out smouldering and instantly burst into flame when exposed to the air. I dropped them on the concrete and gave them a burst from the pretty much empty fire extinguisher but they kept going so I picked them up by the non-burnig parts and sprinted outside with them throwing them on the grass. I doubled over heaving and coughing but noticed the smoke was still pouring out. Dug deep, grabbed the hose and ran back into the smoke, once I got back to the source there were new flames which I doused, causing loads more smoke/steam to be kicked up.

I left again quickly to get my breath then went back in one more time to pull everything out, soak it and make sure there was no chance of reignition. Relatively happy the fire was out and had been contained I ran outside to be very sick and sit on the floor looking bemused.

The damage as it stands is 3 x canvas tool bags, several screwdrivers and some rolls of tape. Also the whole building now stinks as do I despite a shower. It seems that the 1/8th" gap between the two workbench halves allowed a spark to drop down and ignite the canvas bags. Totally my fault for not preparing the area properly. I certainly won't be welding indoors again. I've thanked the chap that informed me about the smoke, without him we would have lost the whole lot.

Be careful in the sheds gentlemen. I certainly won't be as complacent in the future.

BIL has a rule in his car repair business - no welding/hot work after 4pm...he nearly lost the whole workshop once in similar circumstances to you, that last hour gives them a chance to spot any problems before they shut up for the night.

The thought of losing my shed & contents brings me out in cold sweats...I'd rather the house burnt down.....

+1

Not sure that I wouldn't have done the same though.

I fully agree that I shouldn't have gone in there etc... However I just went into auto-pilot, there was no way I could have just watched it all burn.

Also how do firemen get the stink of burning off their skin I've had two showers now and all I can smell is smoke, its minging.

BIL has a rule in his car repair business - no welding/hot work after 4pm...he nearly lost the whole workshop once in similar circumstances to you, that last hour gives them a chance to spot any problems before they shut up for the night.

Whenever I do any soldering on a job I'll always stop an hour before I finish for the day. I would hate to get caught out! :no:

Very silly of you to go inside to try to tackle it. Exactly what I tend to do in such situations...

Just be glad it ended up reasonably well, and let it serve as a warning to all. I too have welded while wearing a fleece, not wise. Never flip-flops though. I could list all the garments I've set fire to when welding, but it's a bit long.

It's very easy to get complacent.

Very silly of you to go inside to try to tackle it. Exactly what I tend to do in such situations...

Just be glad it ended up reasonably well, and let it serve as a warning to all. I too have welded while wearing a fleece, not wise. Never flip-flops though. I could list all the garments I've set fire to when welding, but it's a bit long.

It's very easy to get complacent.

Don't wear jeans when using an angle grinder!

I was using my work jeans and the sparks burnt right through them

Very common this.

The problem is that it's also sheds and garages where people store spray cans, white spirit, oil, petrol, mowers, strimmers etc.

I bet there's a hot work roofer on here who has a story or two to tell..... they're notorious for it; flat-roof-hot-torch-tastic

Your not wrong there Mungler, we've got a roofing contractor working locally who has kept us busy over the last few years carrying out hot work roofing.

So far the count is:

1x Hotel

2x Pubs

1x House

Luckily nothing in the last 12 months, he has either given up this type of work, or he has learnt the lesson the hard way!

Edited by KPV4