Would you lose your license if.....

Yorkhawk67

best way to stop a dog that is attacking someone is to get both front legs and pull them apart as wide as you can ,this then pushes there rib cage into there boiler room and kills them ,yes you could get bit ,use a firearm in a public place and you lose it ,

Urban myth.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what if whilst coming back from a clay shoot with your gun an alien spaceship landed from the planet zog and they said they were going to take over the planet, would you be able to shoot them ? :yay:

Not sure if my ray gun would come under sgc or fac lol

Edited by Yorkhawk67

If it's any of your business I've just got back from a practice clay session. Just shot 300 carts does that qualify as a shooter or am I just messing about on your forum ?

Blimey, that's a lot of carts! When I shoot a round of sporting I get through maybe 110 MAX! What are you training for, competition?

Oh and in answer to the question, yes, I suspect you would be penalised in some way, albeit limited.

Edited by -Mongrel-

Not sure if my ray gun would come under sgc or fac lol

A ray gun uses lazers so the barrel is smooth bore, as long as the barrel length is more than 24", less than 2", and can only fire 3 blasts before it needs recharging then it's a section 2 ray gun.

Great for clay shooting. The ray travels at the speed of light so no lead needed. I get funny looks everytime I bring my ray gun along to my local ground, especially from the beer mat brigade but stuff them, no lead needed, no recoil, and it saves me a fortune in carts :good:

And if aliens from the planet Zog lands on the M62 when I'm returning from my local ground with my ray gun, stuff them, I'll get a OBE, MBE, Iron Cross, etc, etc from defeating an invasion force with my little section 2 ray gun, although I don't think my FEO will be very happy with that and I'll probably loose my SGC. :yay:

A ray gun uses lazers so the barrel is smooth bore, as long as the barrel length is more than 24", less than 2", and can only fire 3 blasts before it needs recharging then it's a section 2 ray gun.

Great for clay shooting. The ray travels at the speed of light so no lead needed. I get funny looks everytime I bring my ray gun along to my local ground, especially from the beer mat brigade but stuff them, no lead needed, no recoil, and it saves me a fortune in carts :good:

And if aliens from the planet Zog lands on the M62 when I'm returning from my local ground with my ray gun, stuff them, I'll get a OBE, MBE, Iron Cross, etc, etc from defeating an invasion force with my little section 2 ray gun, although I don't think my FEO will be very happy with that and I'll probably loose my SGC. :yay:

Thank you for answering my question seriously without being sarcastic towards me lol. Very informative. Lol Cheers

Edited by Yorkhawk67

Thank you for answering my question seriously without being sarcastic towards me lol. Very informative. Lol Cheers

:D

On a more serious note I know what you mean by shooting 300 when you've just started. It's a bit of a novelty for me at the moment as well I tend to go to my clay ground on a Wednesday evening and 1 day at a weekend. I don't care which stand I'm on and how long I'm there for as long as I shoot at something LOL. Last Wednesday I went and shot about 110. I would love to shoot more but I'm worried about the money I spend on clays and carts and I kinda force myself away from the place. When the lady on reception says to you "ahh you're back AGAIN!" you know you're going overboard :w00t:

I've bought my gun on the 22nd August and it's shot 300 already (although about 75 was with a work colleague and my mum)

Edited by Richard V

what if whilst coming back from a clay shoot with your gun an alien spaceship landed from the planet zog and they said they were going to take over the planet, would you be able to shoot them ? :yay:

yes theres no legislation about shooting aliens but you do have to make sure nobodys looking or you could end up on the front page of the daily sport.

True but a neighbour went and got a spade so what's to say he couldn't have got a gun instead ?

OK, I'll try and explain what's to say he couldn't have got a gun instead. He would have had to be a cert holder first of all, also to have had the clarity of thought to fetch his hidden keys and then access the gun, his shells would be in a different area too remember, this would take a minimum of 3-4 minutes in all likelihood. Best case scenarios such as he happened to be carrying his keys and stood next to his cabinet with two shells left over from pigeon shooting in his pocket don't count.

Then he'd have to run over to the scene whilst loading a shottie, :no: and calculating the path least likely to kneecap the victim or a helper at the same time :lookaround: then actually control his heartbeat and literally take that shot :exclamation: Can you not see that the shovel wins the reality check every time?

I'm really not having a go, just pointing out the flaws in the question, there is after all such a thing as a futile question. Yes if you must know, if I was just turning into my road drunk with pleasure of having won a comp, listening to Adele and making mental notes of things to do the next day and came across a rabid Rottie chewing a little'uns legs off, with nobody else in sight for help, then I would shoot the dog in the side of the rib cage. Roughly 4 people a week win the Lottery jackpot, I have yet to hear of a case as described.

Hes not saying it was likely, or that he thought it would ever happen. It was a theoretical question, of the sort many of us have wondered, but never bothered posting because we know it would end up like this.

My answer is like many others. I would try everything else first, but if i really thought someones life was in danger, and the gun was the quickest and best way (bearing in mind i usually have one or two med-large sharp knives) then yes, i would shoot. I would gladly lose my certificate, and take whatever punishment came my way if I knew I had saved a life.

Doing so with a section 1 would be illegal. You can only shoot what your firearm is conditioned for. Mere mortals are NOT conditioned for "protection" or "self defence". In 50 years of shooting I have yet to see a S1 conditioned for " some people do have a condition allowing them to shoot animals for the protection of people or animals", other than zoo employees and the like.

My FAC is conditioned for the destruction of animals for the protection of people and other animals.

'My FAC is conditioned for the destruction of animals for the protection of people and other animals. '

Well CharlieT, I take it from your post that both hillmouse and bicykillgaz are not mere mortals, and must both be zoo employees.

I'm correct, some people do have this condition. The fact you've never seen it changes nothing.

Really......!!!!!!!!

Do you think the Italics bit above would stand up in court..?

Well it stood up perfectly well for the police who shot Jean Charles de Menezes while he was pinned down in a tube station. Their defense was that they truly believed he was a danger (despite him being pinned down and completely unable to move). They claimed that their perception of the situation was such that they felt there was a danger, and that was considered acceptable.

What matters in self defense situations such as this is perception. If someone points a gun at you and you shoot that person in self defense before he shoots you, that's legal. If, on examination, it turns out that their gun was empty and you were in no danger, that would change nothing, as you felt you were in danger.

So yes, it does stand up in court.

I can see no reason why this would not apply to shooting a dog that was attacking someone, it would be for self defense.

:good:

Very good!

The original OP is allegedly asking about the consequences of shooting, not whether you would shoot.

The number of responses saying whether they would or would not shoot would suggest the post was either data harvesting or badly worded.

I would still like to know what he would do in these circumstances. It doesn't seem too much to ask.

I expect a withering attempted put down or an evasive answer, but not an intelligent one.

Well it stood up perfectly well for the police who shot Jean Charles de Menezes while he was pinned down in a tube station. Their defense was that they truly believed he was a danger (despite him being pinned down and completely unable to move). They claimed that their perception of the situation was such that they felt there was a danger, and that was considered acceptable.

You are talking about the police shooting someone in the quote above......not Joe Bloggs on the street... :lol:

Your post underlined below... :rolleyes: :blink: ...chalk & cheese... :yes:

If you saw a man with a gun walking down the road shooting people, you would be perfectly legal to shoot him. However, that person would not need to be shooting anyone, if you thought that the person would do that then you could shoot them, it's actually down to your perception.

The original OP is allegedly asking about the consequences of shooting, not whether you would shoot.

The number of responses saying whether they would or would not shoot would suggest the post was either data harvesting or badly worded.

I would still like to know what he would do in these circumstances. It doesn't seem too much to ask.

I expect a withering attempted put down or an evasive answer, but not an intelligent one.

If you read my post properly I never asked if anyone would shoot the dog but I would like to think I would do everything in my power to help the person being attacked and if that meant shooting the dog I would. What would you do watch it kill someone ?

In answer to hamster I could find my shotgun and cartridges in my house a damn site quicker than a shovel in my shed it's a right mess

After hearing about some of the recent dog attacks by so called dangerous dogs it made me wonder if on your way home from say pigeon shooting or clay shooting you witnessed a dog attacking someone and inflicting a serious injury to that person and then moving on towards other members of the public would you be penalised if you shot and killed the dog. Obviousely only if it were safe to shoot the dog ie no people around it

I have re posted my original post here to show that at NO time did I ask would anyone shoot the dog! If anyone said they would that was entirely their decision and not solicited by me

In answer to the actual question then, most probably yes, unless there was one person seriously maimed/dead and a second being attacked that you 'save', you may be ok.

But that is my thoughts, of what I think should happen. So you would most probably do jail time due to the way the laws here work.