The Wildfowling season 2012 - 2013

Wildfowler

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those seals are an absolute nightmare. But I`m afraid it goes with coastal fowling. Both myself and a friend nearly lost our dogs.On more than one occasion. One seal actually grabbed my mates dog and pulled it down. Luckily the dog escaped and was fine. But that did it for us. After 4 seperate attacks over a 6 week period during the 98/99 season we called it a day whilst luck was on our side and now soley shoot the inland Washes.

Its a nightmare with seals on the shore around Fenlands and Holbeach, they are so used to you now they hang around for ages and climb up the bank when the tide makes in, even though birds have to be attempted to be retrieved out the water it is nerve racking and i try and clear the seals off, i always go to the waters edge and watch the dog back in.

Those seals are an absolute nightmare. But I`m afraid it goes with coastal fowling. Both myself and a friend nearly lost our dogs.On more than one occasion. One seal actually grabbed my mates dog and pulled it down. Luckily the dog escaped and was fine. But that did it for us. After 4 seperate attacks over a 6 week period during the 98/99 season we called it a day whilst luck was on our side and now soley shoot the inland Washes.

There's a seal which lives in Faversham creek down my way, I see it most times I shoot there. I never knew seals were dangerous to dogs, even though I thought that mauling incident in Scotland recently was a freak accident. Still, something in the back of my mind still stops me letting the dog in.

I'm properly paranoid now Yoggy!! :no:

where abouts are you guys going?

We go out on the foreshore of the north Essex coast.

I bet that scared the life out of you both! Normally we manage to avoid them or if a bird is down in the water and there are seals about we use a boat to get them or let them float onto the mud and pick it later but they are more prolific and forward than ever before. I've been fowling on our marsh for the past 14-15 years and have never had an issue until this season!

I just hope they disappear as quickly as they have become an issue!

There's a seal which lives in Faversham creek down my way, I see it most times I shoot there. I never knew seals were dangerous to dogs, even though I thought that mauling incident in Scotland recently was a freak accident. Still, something in the back of my mind still stops me letting the dog in.

I'm properly paranoid now Yoggy!! :no:

Hello mate, Must admit it did freak us out. Never had any problems until that particular season. Actually witnessing my mates poor dog being dragged under was awful. We both just felt totally helpless. How Pip [his dog] managed to escape we`ll never know but the dog was a nervous wreck when we got him back on dry land. Its not until you actually witness something like this you realise that Seals are a extremely dangerous threat to your dog. Weeks before that incident both our dogs narrowly missed being taken by a huge seal coming up behind them. Rick my mate fired 2 shots over the seals head and luckily it did the trick and turned away. But enough was enough for us....no duck was worth our dogs lives, and we rode our luck to many times in such a short space of time. So shoot inland Washes nowadays and not a seal in sight!.

More and more seals. Their food is not increasing, infact fish stocks are decreasing. So lots more hungry seals.

Not good news for swimming dogs.

Seal numbers on east coast are still increasing.

Totally agree, and a worrying thought it is.

You can shoot cats in Nova Scotia.

However when in the bag you need Form AG/CAT/Bag337A.

For cats out of bag you need Form AG/CAT/Bagless337B.

In either case the form must be completed, in triplicate, and sent to Nova Scotia Wildlife Commission Cat Department three weeks before the intended shot is taken. It is a simple enough procedure and well worth the effort.

But the fowling is terrific.

In either case the form must be completed, in triplicate, and sent to Nova Scotia Wildlife Commission Cat Department three weeks before the intended shot is taken. It is a simple enough procedure and well worth the effort.

Better keep away from there then, with a username like mine, as there are lots who would like to shoot me :innocent::good:

Not content with ruining the Nova Scotian Wildfowling for the locals you now proceed to give out tips for Feline decimation by visiting hunters on an open forum. I'll be writing to Canada House in the strongest possible terms. No doubt they'll be seeking to extradite you for your crimes but you've no one to blame but yourself!!

Not content with ruining the Nova Scotian Wildfowling for the locals you now proceed to give out tips for Feline decimation by visiting hunters on an open forum. I'll be writing to Canada House in the strongest possible terms. No doubt they'll be seeking to extradite you for your crimes but you've no one to blame but yourself!!

Blast - You have discovered my clever plan. I thought that if I was extradited, then freed on bail to await trial, I could make full use of the free air ticket and go fowling and catting in Nova Scotia. The cats are not to be sniffed at - I promise...

Edited by Grandalf

right so after all these feline inuendos where is a good place to go wildfowling?

comments like dont let the cat out of the bag is the kind of mentality that is ruining this sport people who are selfish and like to just shoot on their own for 20 years, dont seem to get that this is a sport, and newbies are wanting to wildfowl all the time, but neither have the knowladge or the means to go about it.

right so after all these feline inuendos where is a good place to go wildfowling?

comments like dont let the cat out of the bag is the kind of mentality that is ruining this sport people who are selfish and like to just shoot on their own for 20 years, dont seem to get that this is a sport, and newbies are wanting to wildfowl all the time, but neither have the knowladge or the means to go about it.

Just asking for good wildfowling locations will get you nowhere, you need to get the BASC permit book and find a club that will take you out on a flight.

You don't even say where you are so who is going to know if they can help you?

You have to gain peoples trust to get them to show you the good spots, spouting out on a forum will get you nowhere.

As for all the car stuff, spots and marshes get ruined if they get overshot, hence why no one is going to give out the spots on an open forum!

Comments about cats and bags were tongue in cheek banter as is surely obvious given the location being discussed. As for being selfish and ruining the sport well where do I start? Over the years and a few more than twenty I have introduced many people to Wildfowling. In fact I had a young lad out for a shot tonight. I am choosy who I share my knowledge and experience with though.

Just asking for good wildfowling locations will get you nowhere, you need to get the BASC permit book and find a club that will take you out on a flight.

You have to gain peoples trust to get them to show you the good spots, spouting out on a forum will get you nowhere.

As for all the car stuff, spots and marshes get ruined if they get overshot, hence why no one is going to give out the spots on an open forum!

Good advice I'd say

Edited by Reabrook

Blast - You have discovered my clever plan. I thought that if I was extradited, then freed on bail to await trial, I could make full use of the free air ticket and go fowling and catting in Nova Scotia. The cats are not to be sniffed at - I promise...

Your right there Grandalf we all like a bit of Pussy!!

im not really talking for myself lads, just more a general thing that i hear from the youngsters that its hard for them to gain locations and shoot when people are just looking to make cash, and not pass on their wisdom to them, and the overshoot comment is right in a way, but also think that there is so much land availablity in the uk, that there is more than enough to shoot for everyone

im not really talking for myself lads, just more a general thing that i hear from the youngsters that its hard for them to gain locations and shoot when people are just looking to make cash, and not pass on their wisdom to them, and the overshoot comment is right in a way, but also think that there is so much land availablity in the uk, that there is more than enough to shoot for everyone

You are mainly talking a load of old rubbish. None of it really refers to proper wildfowling!

I got into wildfowling through ayano3 off here, he'd never met me before but was happy to show me around the marsh and propose my membership to the wildfowling club. I've shot about 20 flights with him this season and several with friends of his who he arranged to take me out when he was not available.

I can honestly say that i've met loads of wildfowlers who are willing to help, share tips and ways to get out to good spots.

As i said before you need to gain trust.

Please go back and read what i put before. Get the BASC permit book if you want to try wildfowling out.

And then please go start another thread about it, this one is for us to share stories from trips out. It is not for trying to find good locations to shoot!

EDIT:

I've gone and found the link for you:

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/departments/wildfowling/wildfowling-permit-scheme-.cfm

Edited by Big Mat

I am willing to take people out and show them a few places to go. BUT, that is once I have established in my own mind that the person stands some sort of chance of making a wildfowler or is sensible enough to not mess up the shooting for others. I have seen too many idiots on the marshes wandering around clueless and have no idea what they are doin. I don't always blame the person for that, membership should be more strict and trial periods and introduction should be compulsory. This is not the words of a one season wonder, I have been on the marshes for too many years to count.

Anyway, my season so far. I have not had record bags or flights I can say have filled the freezer but that is not what it is about for me anyway. What my rewards are so far are seeing geese and duck, being under them and sharing there with others. I have met some good people, some of these should in time make the grade, others have fallen by the wayside because of their own fault. I have personally introduced two people to the sport this season, plus I have also taken members from other clubs out to help them. My rewards for this is seeing them take their first shots and taking their first duck or goose and reading on here or our club website about how they took the goose that weighs in at 4 stone and was well over 200 yards up. .Matt and Harry get your finger out because you are next. I have seen many good sights and had laughter too. I am sure that the lads who I have helped have appreciated my assistance.

So that's my season so far, possibly different to others but just as rewarding.

Ps, my day on Norwich was spectacular.