The Wildfowling season 2012 - 2013

Wildfowler

Gentlemen,

Always glad to read of other peoples fowling trips but getting a little tired of looking at pictures of piles of dead ducks.

Like the ones of marshes, sun-rises/sets, dogs, etc.

Danger of us lowering our standards to the same level as some of the other forums on PW. (Shot foxes, etc).

Don't want to encourage the antis do we?

Went out on Thursday afternoon and shot a mallard - Sorry no pictures...

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gentlemen,

Always glad to read of other peoples fowling trips but getting a little tired of looking at pictures of piles of dead ducks.

Like the ones of marshes, sun-rises/sets, dogs, etc.

Danger of us lowering our standards to the same level as some of the other forums on PW. (Shot foxes, etc).

Don't want to encourage the antis do we?

Went out on Thursday afternoon and shot a mallard - Sorry no pictures...

why should we not show pictures of our bags of what we shoot ,it's all do within the law ,so we should hide NOTHING ! They have the problem not us . We all work hard to get our fowl ,so lets not get into a habit of hiding anything . We should all stand together . End off .

Edited by washwildfowler

why should we not show pictures of our bags of what we shoot ,it's all do within the law ,so we should hide NOTHING ! They have the problem not us . We all work hard to get our fowl ,so lets not get into a habit of hiding anything . We should all stand together . End off .

:good: well said why should we have to play second fiddle ot the antis all the time Fu## them

I think the point that Grandalf is trying to make is that it is much nicer to read the story behind the pile of dead birds and not just a picture - like you did the other day with your write up about the greylag flight.

Different people different strokes I think. What some of us find acceptable others find excessive. I enjoy the pictures and like to see other marshes, dogs etc including what others have shot. I looked again at Terry's picture and thought there was nothing at all wrong with it.

There have been some recently though not necessarily on here that have made me wince! Ducks or geese piled up in uncountable numbers seems to be becoming more and more common and dare I say acceptable among modern fowlers. We all have red letter days (hopefully) and its only right we take what may be a flight of a lifetime when they come along. My concern is that these photos serve as targets for the young inexperienced amongst us. Beginners who see these piles as the norm will not last long as Wildfowlers unless they have very deep pockets.

It has nothing to do with upsetting anti's (for me) and more to do with the limits we set ourselves individually. I'm of the mind we should respect the personal choices of others and rarely post photos on here or comment negatively on those who do.

I think discibing the photo as a pile of dead ducks is what I found a bit galling. I have had several flights where I have only had a single duck and not taken photos or even posted it at the end of the day we all go wildfowling with the intention of bagging a duck or 2,I enjoy the whole experience and enjoy taking photos of the rare decent bags to accompany the report in my diary, I too am sicken by some of the photos on facebook etc but it each to their own.

Like you reabrook I will now rarely post photos on here.

Coincidentally, I don't normally take pics of the bag at the end of the day but due to the morning i thought it was worth while today.

I got up at 4:30 and headed out. the marsh is only a 10 minuet drive from my house (nice strategic property purchase there! :D ) but i had planned to go to one of the furthest points that you can walk to as i wanted to get underneath a flight line i thought they would be taking. Its a 45 minuet walk from the car to the spot i was heading for, having to cross one large creek followed by a mass of smaller but no less sticky ones. When i got to the largest one there was still water in the bottom of it where it hadn't drained out with the tide yet, i thought it would be border line but didn't want to miss the flight so i went for it, i lifted my gun and bag above my head and waded on, it reached mid way between my crouch and the top of my waders so not too bad... I carried on with both labs following behind, across at least 50+ gullies all between 3 and 10 ft wide and 3 - 5 ft deep so pretty hard going.

I reached my spot in plenty of time and set out a few decoys in the ever dropping tide, in the hope they would help draw the birds that little bit closer. at about

5:30 the rain started, drizzle to begin with, followed by harder larger drops which progressed into a full on torrential down-pore for at a good half hour, which then only reduced back to heavy rain. at 6:15 the first ducks started to flight, with a pair coming into the decoys, the first of which dropped to my second shot into the middle of the estuary. My eldest lab swam out to retrieve it, as it swam towards the opposite bank, she finally caught up to it about 90 meters away from me, and brought it back. Soon after a small pack came into the decoys and i dropped the one closest to me, leaving the rest to go. For the following 4 mins the rain picked up and not a single bird was in the air. I stuck it out but i did, just for a fleeting moment, think to myself, what the hell am i doing! i got up in what is essentially the middle of the night, walked a good couple of miles over hard terrain, and now sitting in the bottom of a muddy creek in the pi**ing rain with my youngest dog padding about in mud, whining with anticipation and excitement (starting to get on my wick a bit) and flicking stinking marsh mud in my face with her wagging tail...

and then.... a pack of teal flew over me with the lowest bird being 50+ yards up, normally i would have watched them go by but due to the situation i was currently in i thought why not, so i raised the gun and swung through... down he came stone dead, into the mud. I was chuffed to bits! then followed pack after pack of wigeon, teal and mallard, all very high so i sat and watched them, whilst reflecting on the real reason for going fowling...

Its not just about the bag at the end, it's the event itself! How many people do what we do! I know it isn't to everyone's taste but when you're out there alone with your companions by your side with only your own thoughts for company... NOTHING else compares! :good:

Top stuff guys :good: Terry p i cant see anything wrong with your picture, that is a good bag of foreshore duck between the 2 of you and the photo is taken respectfully, by this i mean not all piled up on top of one another followed by a caption saying how big and clever you are! Most of the people in this section of PW know how hard won even a brace of duck from the foreshore is, so when the red letter day happens be proud of it.

Grandalf i see your point and i have seen some photos of truck loads of geese and duck recently that i thought was way over the top (not in this section), but i think Terry p's photo was different. But everybody has there own opinion.

I went out this morning and only saw 3 Wigeon that were way to quick and about a dozen Canadas that were way to high, looks like the wind is building this week, so we can hope that will keep them down a bit.

Here's one of the dog from Thursday's flight that i just love

2012-10-25172520.jpg

Morning flights when the moon is high are not usually the best I find, but you just never know, glad Me and Dafydd made the effort ysterday.

well done that was some good shooting to bag those.

all i wanted to do was to get out myself last week, but been revamping (which is an understatement) the bathroom....

I think the point that Grandalf is trying to make is that it is much nicer to read the story behind the pile of dead birds and not just a picture - like you did the other day with your write up about the greylag flight.

point taken motty, i still say we should hide nothing ,i was one of the many thousands that marched through London over the hunting ban and thousands and thousands of us never made one bit of difference to the out come of it I'm afraid , so if shooting does go the same way as the hunting ban,....WHICH I HOPE NEVER DOES .then it will be decided ON FOREIGN SOIL .. and behind closed doors by people who know nothing of the countryside .. or share the love and have the bond that most shooting people have with the countryside ....

two letters .....EU and we have to follow those two letters with our government and that will be the killer of it .....

WW

Edited by washwildfowler

point taken motty, i still say we should hide nothing ,i was one of the many thousands that marched through London over the hunting ban and thousands and thousands of us never made one bit of difference to the out come of it I'm afraid , so if shooting does go the same way as the hunting ban,....WHICH I HOPE NEVER DOES .then it will be decided ON FOREIGN SOIL .. and behind closed doors by people who know nothing of the countryside .. or share the love and have the bond that most shooting people have with the countryside ....

two letters .....EU and we have to follow those two letters with our government and that will be the killer of it .....

WW

Well said buddy......

WW

WW for Prime Minister I say :good: :good:

WW

Whilst I see where your coming from unfortunately pictures of excess, meaning true excess not a dozen duck between two guns off the tide, has the potential to do us great harm. We continually and rightfully promote the conservation side of Wildfowling, 40 geese piled in a heap is not conservation from which ever angle you look at it. Even when marketed as pest control involving Canada's it doesn't sit right with me and I'd like to see that sort of picture removed from our forums. Some may see that as censorship but I see it as necessary and the fact these type of people could no longer post their trophy shots may just discourage them.

Sorry WW not picking on you but I also think we have more to fear from our own country than the EU. As a complete Eurosceptic it pains me to say that but when I look at other countries and their shooting many of the more draconian laws are created from within rather than EU policy.

Whilst I see where your coming from unfortunately pictures of excess, meaning true excess not a dozen duck between two guns off the tide, has the potential to do us great harm. We continually and rightfully promote the conservation side of Wildfowling, 40 geese piled in a heap is not conservation from which ever angle you look at it. Even when marketed as pest control involving Canada's it doesn't sit right with me and I'd like to see that sort of picture removed from our forums. Some may see that as censorship but I see it as necessary and the fact these type of people could no longer post their trophy shots may just discourage them.

Sorry WW not picking on you but I also think we have more to fear from our own country than the EU. As a complete Eurosceptic it pains me to say that but when I look at other countries and their shooting many of the more draconian laws are created from within rather than EU policy.

I agree with you with regards to piles of dead geese I don't like to see it I've seen some that really are an antis dream I also don't like to see piles of dead birds, sensible bags and pictures I have no problems with and like to see some pictures of people's successful outings, the EU will eventually destroy this country in the future unless the government stand up to them or leave the EU end of......

reabrook :good: , i have broad shoulders lol , i think it's good to listen to other peoples views on things , we all see things different , and we all like to have our say.. even if some may disagree with what we say ....it's what makes the world go round ...

but i still think we have more to fear from the EU than our own goverment ....and i don't trust any of them because there all liars and will tell us anything we want to hear to get our vote .....

I guess its all a question of degree. I like to see a couple of well presented dead birds after a flight in a photo , but not so keen on the sight of a pile of dead birds. As for saying we should not hide what we do , there are limits to this. Remember if it went to the public vote tommorow shooting would be banned. By keeping a low profile it is out of the minds of the public and pushing the positive side of shooting , ie pest control or a nice roast dinner the longer shooting will remain.

Sorry chaps - Not been keeping my head down to avoid the flack after my comments about photographs. Honest.

Some herbert went off the lane and skidded through a gruup and broke my 'phone wire so I have been off all communications for five days.

Only just had a chance to read your posts.

I stand corrected - when I read your posts and went back and studied our fowling forums over the last few weeks I must admit that there are not many pictures there that I could complain about.

Most of the ones that had anoyed me were in other sections or other forums. I'm geting (got) old.

Most of you seem to agree with me that it is the 'heaps' of dead things that are offensive.

Not a good advert for conservation.

What was good to read was the measured arguments and lack of slanging matches. Obviously fowlers are a more refined class of person.

Mad maybe - but refined with it.

I have to agree chaps..... I love reading all the stories of what you have been up to whilst i cant make any trips out until december. It keeps my spirit up as when i read some of these stories it reminds me of days i've had and the urge to go out gets stronger!! i also love seeing the pictures, of the marsh when it has woken and those of successful outings, I was always taught only shoot what you can eat or carry. as a result of that i've never really liked seeing photos of heaps of our quarry piled up but i know how much effort goes into getting each duck and one duck can be a much more special outing then 10 if you worked for it, unlike shooting geese over deeks inland

I cant beleve my luck with the geese this season so far. I have had plenty of duck , but its a very different story with the geese with just one pink foot and a couple of egyptians shot.. On the last three goose flights I have been so close to so many geese and yet failed to put one in the bag. A week ago I was shooting from a boat on a inland lake. the first lot of geese came over low and silent and caught me napping. I never got a shot at them. 4 more bunches came low just to my right or left. Later on in the week on the coast I was flighting a small marsh for greylag. 3 bunches passed low 60 yards off and as soon as I moved the flight stopped. I did have one chance at a bird that came behind me , feet stuck in the mud and I could just not swing the gun onto it properly and though hit we could not find it.. The following day i looked again for the difficult goose but this time it was obvious floating in a pool , but the gulls had spoiled it.Then this morning on the sea wall a good greylag flight started with a string of flocks passing 100 yards to my right. One party of canadas passed 60 yards to my left. i considered moving to get under the canada flight line , but several more lots of greys passed just out of range to my right . Then 4 lots went over to my left just 60-70 yards off. So I moved under the new flight line and no more came , but one high mallard did give me a very iffy shot , but i held the gun straight and the dog retrieved a fine drake off the bank. I waited another hour and no more geese , so i collected my gear and walked off the marsh. I had hardly walked 70 yards and 10 canadas flew low right over the spot i had just left. So in the past week i have had 14 low flocks of geese within 60-70 yards of me and just one difficult shot at a bird behind me. My luck has got to change sooner or later.

Edited by anser2