How would you approach him

lurcherboy

My main shooting spot has a award winning partridge shoot virtually next door and the keeper likes to follow charlie despite where he goes. The owner of my permission knows of his nocturnal activities and doesn't approve but is reluctant to stay up all night to get a 'armed trespass situation' as it may ruin the 'keepers career/life.

I have my own ideas but would be interested to hear if anyone has experienced a similar situation and what was the final outcome.

Would like sensible replies as I can get the other sort elsewhere :good:

LB

There is really only one answer, the land owner and keeper need to talk, perferably before it's individually at 3am with the cops.

What gets said depends largely on what result is wanted by your shoot owner LB. If he just wants him off the land at night thats one thing, if he wants him to ask first but would let him on after, its another.

Done carefully with some diplomacy it might be there is a result in there for you, I am sure the keeper would like a decent nights sleep now and again so if it all works out you might get charlie / vermin control on the other shoot.

In these situations accusations or what looks to be an accusation can make things escalate. If it were me I would write a polite letter along the lines of :-

"Dear Sir, It has come to my attention that there has been a person or persons on my land at night using lamps, with some evidence of shooting of some form. Whilst I have suffered no damage or problems thus far I would kindly ask you, as you border with me, to keep a watchful eye as you go about your business. If you were to see anyone I would again kindly ask that you would either challenge them or inform me immediately, as I would surely do for you in kind. I have no intention of involving the police at this time but I will be taking steps to identify the culprits and speak with them to resolve this situation"

Or something like that. It might be that with no finger pointing the keeper will come clean, knowing that he's not getting dobbed in, and a dialouge could then start.

Just a thought :good:

"Dear Sir, It has come to my attention that there has been a person or persons on my land at night using lamps, with some evidence of shooting of some form. Whilst I have suffered no damage or problems thus far I would kindly ask you, as you border with me, to keep a watchful eye as you go about your business. If you were to see anyone I would again kindly ask that you would either challenge them or inform me immediately, as I would surely do for you in kind. I have no intention of involving the police at this time but I will be taking steps to identify the culprits and speak with them to resolve this situation"

sounds like the right idea

is this keeper tracking a wounded fox on to your land ??

if so he is within his rights to finish wot he started imo

if he is coming onto your land and lamping looking for foxes chase the ****** and tell him its your patch dont pussy foot about. Its not you thats in the wrong its him or are you just being silly over a man that is dedicated to his birds !! rant over

cheers kirky

if so he is within his rights to finish wot he started imo

he might be up your end Colin, but down here it would be armed trespass, keeper or not.

thats a farse then, why would anyone stop you from tracking a wounded animal you shot legaly on your own patch a in the view of humainly dispaching a badlt shot fox etc is there no commen sence left in this world??? :good:

thats a farse then, why would anyone stop you from tracking a wounded animal you shot legaly on your own patch a in the view of humainly dispaching a badlt shot fox etc is there no commen sence left in this world??? :good:

Hmmmm, a belief that common sense and the law share common ground eh? Methinks you should keep taking the tablets lest those nice men in white coats come back to take you away! ;)

Hmmmm, a belief that common sense and the law share common ground eh? Methinks you should keep taking the tablets lest those nice men in white coats come back to take you away! :lol:

and you should grow up a little ;)

My main shooting spot has a award winning partridge shoot virtually next door and the keeper likes to follow charlie despite where he goes. The owner of my permission knows of his nocturnal activities and doesn't approve but is reluctant to stay up all night to get a 'armed trespass situation' as it may ruin the 'keepers career/life.

I have my own ideas but would be interested to hear if anyone has experienced a similar situation and what was the final outcome.

Would like sensible replies as I can get the other sort elsewhere :good:

Depending on how firm your permission is ie written ,and established ,do you have any idea when the Keeper next door is likely to be on your permission ,I had in mind bumping in to him,and pointing out ,without coming on too strong ,how dangerous it is for him to be where he shouldnt,with the likelyhood that he might accidently be shot,because of you having no reason to expecthim to be there,its a real tricky one ,for you,it depends really what kind of bloke the keeper is ,unfortuanately ,he doesnt sound to reasonable ,maybe he is under a bit of pressure to produce results,perhaps if you explainyou are wiiling to do your bit to cull the vermin he may ease off,his nocturnal visits.Best of luck anyway .Cruz

I saw in the back of a shooting mag an advert for PIR activated camera box - they are camo'd and you stick em on trees etc and they snap photos of anything giving off a heat signature at night that passes them (and the photo is time and date stamped) - uses for foxes and poachers apparently. I couldn't believe there would be demand for such a specific product - unless you wanted to put them round car parks and were into dogging. But I digress....

Guys, Kirky is right about the common sense factor - at least in Scotland where our laws are all mostly all based on common sense - hence the term common law! :whistling: Might it be that the gamekeeper is also a Scotsman - and working under the illusion that the law is the same in that respect down south?

I reckon the best solution is to make contact with the guy and ask him in a friendly manner if he is coming onto your shoot and and if he is - explain the problems it is causing and then see if you can work out a compromise. Have a couple of cans in the boot to give him if it all works out. Might be the final factor in getting him to offer a bit of shooting on his ground :good:

Pushkin

Would like sensible replies as I can get the other sort elsewhere :drool:

LB

A bit late but here goe's

In this day and age with mobile phones and Helicoptors it's a certain type of person that deliberately strays on to land where they KNOW they should'nt be and ARMEDas well !Experience tells me that few listen to reason .............Most will bank on the idea that the worst they'll get is a ####ing from a fellow outdoor bloke ..........the other option being unwanted publicity for the sport .

LB

If he his addressed He'll bet on the notion that you with legal permission are,nt up to the job as Foxes from your permission are damaging his business and putting him under pressure ...........So putting you on the backfoot if your not carefull .

As for NV camera's :D:good: ..........Unless there is a certain landmark in the background (10 yds away ) your wasting your time

Here is what I'd do Sneaky is as sneaky do :good::good:

Team up with a .222/.243 (I'm sure you know someone :good: )And knock a few off ,they don't all have to be on this permission and the more the better .............I would imagine you'll have a idea where he enters your patch so leave them there on your side but right next to his until your happy they have been clocked ...........HE JUST MIGHT SHOW SOME RESPECT THEN :good: