Look what I found on my way shooting yesterday...

Thunderbird

It's on the A46 nor far (this side) off Junction 18 of the M4, I think it's the old TNT Transport yard. I did one hell of a double take, as one does when one spots an English Electric Lightning

Too right, awesome aircraft! A fuel tank, huge FO engine, a seat and not much else. Incredible climbing rate, more like a rocket than a plane

It's on the A46 nor far (this side) off Junction 18 of the M4, I think it's the old TNT Transport yard. I did one hell of a double take, as one does when one spots an English Electric Lightning

Is it at Old Sodbury?

Could be this one.

http://www.thunder-a...vivor.php?id=32

Indeed it is XM173, there's quite a bit about it on the 'net including a couple of old pics of her in flight...nice.

lightning.jpg

Edited by poontang

I believe Tony Morris of Central Bottling at Bawtry bought all the Lightnings from Binbrook and transported them to his scrap yard at Rossington, you can see all the tanks still from the motorway. I left there in 1991 and they were laid up minus tail fins and wings (removed for transportation). What happened after that, who knows.

Jim

Two big Fo engines i believe. Being a saddo too, i was reading a mag about the Lightning recently ( my excuse is that i stay away a lot and had read through most titles on the rack.

From a stationary start, they could be at 30,000 feet in two minutes. if the climbed on full re-heat, they had 16 mins of loiter time before a refuel was needed. Don't quote me as i can't find the article but its ability to drink fuel was like Oliver Reid's drinking habits. I believe the fuel tanks leaked like sieves on the ground.

One of the best ever in my opinion.

The old rotted one by the A1 has now gone but over the years it had been wrecked.

Not sure if you saw my earlier post?

It's on its way to Dyson HQ at Malmesbury. :good:

Is it at Old Sodbury?

Could be this one.

http://www.thunder-a...vivor.php?id=32

Indeed it is XM173, there's quite a bit about it on the 'net including a couple of old pics of her in flight...nice.

lightning.jpg