Bad groups advice

Peskyfoxs

I have a brand new Howa 1500 in .243 with a Nikko Sterling Diamond scope on (Yes I know its not a great scope) that I bought in August. I have only been using it at in indoor range as I have been struggling to get anywhere near decent groups, 2-4 inches with the occasional flyer, I have tried Privi, Gecko, Sako and a few hornaby.

I broke the barrel in with the shoot 5 and clean method.

At the range on Friday I took 3 shots and got a 2 inch group, let the barrel go cold by leaving for 1/2 hour and the next 3 shots were 4-6 inches lower than the last 3

I'm guessing dodgy scope (bought new with the rifle) but the shop said maybe the scope is mounted wrong ? The scopes not loose in any way so how can it be mounted wrong (I'm a newbie to centre fire so happy to stand corrected if I have done anything wrong)

As the shop don';t have anywhere to test fire the rifle it may have to be sent away to the distributor but having spent £50 in range fees plus more on ammo I'm not overly amused if there is a fault

Edited by Peskyfoxs

Range is 103 yds and indoor, based in leeds west yorks. Surely if I buy everything new it shouldn't be up to me to try and get the product working but much prefer to try another scope as this means less down time without the gun.

Are the mounts the double bolt type?

If yes and everything is tight, then i would agree with you. It's not your job to "make it work". If the dealer has supplied a complete set-up. As in, gun, mounts and scope, i would say it would be down to them to make sure the scope and mounts are adequote for the rifle they're mounted to.

I'd take it back, explain the problem and leave it with them to sort. It's a ball ache to hand back your new "toy" as they say. However, regardless of whether they can test fire or not, it's a case of the goods sold to you must be "fit for purpose" and clearly they are not at this moment in time.

Good luck!

I have cleaned after each use anything from 10- 20 rounds I have also left it and not cleaned after 26 rounds. I can't remeber the name of the stuff I'm using at the mo, it was reccomended by Henry Kranks gun shop.

Adter cleaning I run patches through until, clean. Can cleraning affect the POI 6 inches between groups ?

What weight of bullet are you trying to shoot in this rifle? If I remember rightly my Howa 1500 .243 had a 1 in 10 barrel and wasn't really happy with anything over about 90gr with 70-85 gr bullets shooting quite well. Trying to shoot the 100gn Privi's you may as well have used a musket.

Been here done this. Right if everything is tight the barrel is free to float then it can only be the scope to make such a range of pattern. Other things can affect grouping but not by as much as you say. If you can get to todmorden I will take you to our range and try to sort it with you pm me if you need help

The 6 inches vertical differnce between the 2 groups were the same make.

Been here done this. Right if everything is tight the barrel is free to float then it can only be the scope to make such a range of pattern. Other things can affect grouping but not by as much as you say. If you can get to todmorden I will take you to our range and try to sort it with you pm me if you need help

I work in Bury so might well take you up on that, may have sorted a scope to try in the meantime :good:

Edited by Peskyfoxs

I had The same with my howa but in .223 after 150 rounds Shoots 3/4 - 1 inch groups now, I only clean mine when it's had about 60-80 rounds in it, i know it's a different calibre but maybe it's just a howa thing? Takes afew to wear barrel in, Check if the scope is being effected by parralax error, try different ammo types Ive stuck with federal, as they shot best, read some of the stuff on here it might I tried it all and did help

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Resources/Articles/The+Dummies+Guide+To+Rifle+Accuracy.html

You know i doubt its the scope but it might be how its set up. its not one that can be answered on the net, someone needs to look at it. If you are at stead hall range there is bound to be someone who knows what they are talking about. 1st thing get them to have a look for the abvious then shoot a group for you with it.

I've set up or helped to set up 5 howas from 223 to 6.5 Swedish most of them had stock clearance probs however non had crowning or trigger probs and once set up shot very well so if things are as you say then it will be the scope. As for running in the barrel this will only tighten up groupings the gun will group roughly out of the box.

had a problem recently with my Howa / S&B. Went from happy groups to 3"x 3'. and back.

Turned out to be the rail mount, so another possible variable.

Be methodical and tight is not to knuckle white, so hopefully you can get acess to a torque wrench too .