Coterminous renewal time advice please.

triscrx

My certificates are due for renewal in 5 months time so I intend to send them off shortly. Been a while since I renewed them is the following checklist correct:

Firearms Form 103 (Application for a shotgun cert)

Firearms Form 101 (Application for a firearm cert)

8 passport photos

Firearms form 125 (Reference form) x2 sent back by my references after I complete their details

£75 Fee

Also do I return my old certificates or hang onto them gut feeling is saying hold onto them as all details of certificates are provided.

Thanks in advance for replies fellas always a minefield of paperwork to do and it doesnt get any easier. With the delays with even the most perfect of renewals I dont want to score own goals and cock something up.

You are missing your shooting permission form - you must resend it in Cheshire - might be different for you but I doubt it. Keep the old ones and when you see your feo tell him you would like a temp cert if the renewal takes longer than is left to run on your old one - or buy carts and bullets just before the cert dies.

I thought you didnt need referees to re-new and surely you would be issued an open cert and therefore not need a permission letter ?

I could be totally wrong though :)

As far as I am aware you still need 1 letter of permission to cover your guns and the use of expanding ammo.

Surrey asked for letter of permission including the location. They said to keep certs in case you needed to buy ammunition and just send in copies. Although they've had cutbacks, Surrey are very quick and they make sure they keep up to date with renewals.

Also, make it easier for referees and a) fill out all the bits that are common to forms and b. provide the envelopes already stamped and addressed for them to send off to your FO.

Edited by WVAM

Just had mine renewed recently, £50 renewal, 8 photo's, 1 letter of permission, Here in cumbria you still need 2 seperate referee's letters which they must send back seperately, and you will get temp cert's if you ask for them when you get the visit from the firearms chap/lady, The last variation I had put on was a 22cf and that gave me a choice of 7 different calibre's but I am not sure if every police force is the same, I was in yorkshire recently picking up a new gun and the guy in the gunshop said is it me or is only cumbria that issue these almost sure he said they don't do it over here, Anyway got my licences back within 6 weeks, The firearms people here in cumbria are very good they have always been good with me.

Just been on the phone to Devon & Cornwall 1 letter of permission is also required as mentioned above and an interview is also required again!

Seems overkill on an open cert renewal if they are looking to reduce waiting times & money I can see room for improvement here.

12-14 weeks wait at present too with Devon & Cornwall

Consider it to be a whole new application. It's their way of checking that you are still OK to be entrusted with firearms, part of that check means interviewing you.

As part of renewing it, they also check that you still have the good reason for each firearm - just because you had somewhere to use them when you applied 5 years ago doesn't automatically mean you still have somewhere now.

permission will always be required to justify use unless you wangle a deer rifle on bought stalking. Interview also will still be required just to check you are still normal after 5 years though ours are now doing it by phone which seems to help efficiency.

Not having a go but not true, I accept that will be true in the majority of cases but not all, there is a least one other exception other than paid stalking. Whilst I have some 40 pieces of land I regularly shoot on, I also have my own Game and Vermin Control company, I shoot on one off situations on a regular basis, I have no requirement for any specific permission, none is asked for and none is shown at renewal. Same for those who work for me, just a small clarification.

:good:

Sending the paperwork off in the morning, just to update the forum the following is required:

Firearms form 101 (Application for Firearm Cert) Tick renewal

4 photographs with the above, 2 signed by you - 1 signed by each reference.

Firearms form 103 (Application for Shotgun cert) Tick renewal

4 photographs with the above, 1 signed and dated by countersignatory stated in Part D, 1 signed and dated by you, 2 blank.

Authority to shoot / Permission forms / letters for the property where you shoot.

Copies of current FAC / Shotgun certificates.

Fee (£50)

Cover letter stating renewal etc.

Advised there is a 12-14 Week wait for renewal so I will update when returned.

Thanks for the advice everyone hope the above helps someone else on here when renewing coterminous certs in the future.