Optimum barrel length for a rimfire?

^mimic^

Barrel length Optimum  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Optimum Length

• 16"
    • 25"

i believe its even shorter than that, i think its 14"

Although if you go much shorter you start to risk having an illegally short rifle barrel.

I have just had my cz cut from 21" to 16" and i have noticed no difference in accuracy, just that now i can have a silencer fitted and comfortably shoot free hand.

25" for a rimfire.... thats a tad long for a rimfire in my opinion.

My CZ .22 has a 22 inch barrel. Pesonally, i would not go below that. :oops:

Frank.

You have the CZ Lux i believe which has a significantly lighter barrel than the cz Varmint, Trust me 22" of varmint barrel gets very heavy with a Parker hale on the end :good:

I must say the cz Lux is much nicer rifle to shoot standing and ballances spot on.

I'm sure people are right when they say short barrels shoot perfectly well. It's probably all a matter of balance and personal aesthetic feelings. I used to have a Ruger 10/22 years ago with a pretty short barrel and it wasn't half as good as my long barrelled Cz standard 452. I also like the rather antique look of this rifle with its 24 inch barrel. It comes up really well to the shoulder and is light enough to hold pretty steady for freehand shooting. I generally sit with it, back to a wall or fence, if I can and brace it on my knee. If the undergrowth is short enough, I go prone. All I can say is that the thing is deadly and I love the way it looks.

It is also far far quieter than the old Ruger carbine even without the moderator. I don't know, but I wonder if the muzzle blast is less in a longer barrel.

Half an hour's work on my afternoon off.

dscn0893cl1.jpg

When Anschutz introduced the 2013 match rifle, they fitted a 16 inch barrel to it. They then fitted a tube on the end to give a nice long sight radius (aperture sights).

The rifle shot brilliant groups at 50mtrs, but not as good as the 1913 did with a full length barrel at 100yds.

The main charge of a .22 sub will burn over 14 inches but if you shoot HV ammo’ then 16 inches is preferable.

G.M.

That looks like a rather decent pie you have there evilv :good:

Will be when I get around to taking them out of the freezer. By the way, that Mod on the rifle is an airgun one - a bit dodgymaybe (??), but not really. It met with a slight accident once upon a time on an pld airrifle and began clipping the airgun pellets because it was slightly offline with the barrel. I took out the guts and bored out the end plate to 8mm. The gun is almost totally quiet with eley subs - just a 'ping' - half of which is the firing pin striking the cartrdge. I know it should be a proofed one but it's had about five hundred through it and only needs the powder residue emptied out now and then. I'm not sure about the legalities of proof, but I wouldn't pass it on to anyone else to use so I'm not too bothered.

Is it not true that the barrel length effects on the distance you shoot but unaltering accuracy? What is the legal minimum length for a rifle barrel?

Depends on the calibre of rifle A .22rf isn’t affected , but a larger bore rifle such as a .243/.308 etc usually loses 5-8 fps for every ½ inch taken off the barrel.

When I shortened my .222 from 22 inches down to 18 inches I simply changed the powder from 24grns of R12 (which was no longer available) to 20.5 grns of R7, which is slightly faster and compensated for the small loss of velocity.

G.M.

That looks like a rather decent pie you have there evilv :blink:

Will be when I get around to taking them out of the freezer. By the way, that Mod on the rifle is an airgun one - a bit dodgymaybe (??), but not really. It met with a slight accident once upon a time on an pld airrifle and began clipping the airgun pellets because it was slightly offline with the barrel. I took out the guts and bored out the end plate to 8mm. The gun is almost totally quiet with eley subs - just a 'ping' - half of which is the firing pin striking the cartrdge. I know it should be a proofed one but it's had about five hundred through it and only needs the powder residue emptied out now and then. I'm not sure about the legalities of proof, but I wouldn't pass it on to anyone else to use so I'm not too bothered.

Ah someone else who likes the elley subs, their good rounds better than winchesters in my opinion, Duno about the moderator... Ive heard of people using the logun ones on 22lr's but i wouldnt recomend it being fiberglass :drinks: Have found using elleys and a parker hail you get more of a bang from the rabbit being hit than the rifle :no:

So what would the optimum barrel length be for a centerfire?

As far as im aware (don't quote me on this) but thought a 22 Rimfire & 22 Center fire were the same the only difference being the primer is in the center rather than the rim of the case. I thought they both still had the same charge load but im not certain.

Ah someone else who likes the elley subs, their good rounds better than winchesters in my opinion, Duno about the moderator... Ive heard of people using the logun ones on 22lr's but i wouldnt recomend it being fiberglass :blink: Have found using elleys and a parker hail you get more of a bang from the rabbit being hit than the rifle :drinks:

No - I'd never use anything like that. My mod is a stout aluminium one, and yes, the smack from the rabbit is ten times louder than the sound of the rifle. I just get a sort of a 'ping' noise from the gun, which I think is the shockwave travelling through the barrel. The outfit is much quieter than any of the air rifles I've had, including the old TX with the same mod on it. The barrel length at 24 inches may help - not sure, but I suspect that the powder burn having stopped a full ten inches before the mod, there may be less energy in the gasses as they enter it. That's a guess, but sounds logical to me.

As far as im aware (don't quote me on this) but thought a 22 Rimfire & 22 Center fire were the same the only difference being the primer is in the center rather than the rim of the case. I thought they both still had the same charge load but im not certain.

A .22rf has @ 1 --1½ grns of powder to push a 40grn bullet @ 1050fps

A .22cf has anywhere between 20 grsn and 50grns of powder and can push 40. 50 52, 60 ………..all the way up to @80grn bullets at velocities of 3500 fps.

As for muzzle energy, the .22rf sub produces @ 90 ftlbs

The .22cf can and does produce energies far in excess of 10X that….and more.

I really do think that you ought to search around on the net and find out a little more about rifles.

Have a look through this for starters –

http://www.stevespages.com/page8d.htm

G.M.

A .22cf has anywhere between 20 grsn and 50grns of powder and can push 40. 50 52, 60 ………..all the way up to @80grn bullets at velocities of 3500 fps.

I really do think that you ought to search around on the net and find out a little more about rifles.

G.M.

How about .22 Wmr ?and how do these sit for fox control >?

G.M.

How about .22 Wmr ?and how do these sit for fox control >?

about the same as a .17hmr but less accurate, but then apparently its a round without a use and too small for shooting rabbits :blink:

Ah someone else who likes the elley subs, their good rounds better than winchesters in my opinion, Duno about the moderator... Ive heard of people using the logun ones on 22lr's but i wouldnt recomend it being fiberglass :/ Have found using elleys and a parker hail you get more of a bang from the rabbit being hit than the rifle :lol:

No - I'd never use anything like that. My mod is a stout aluminium one, and yes, the smack from the rabbit is ten times louder than the sound of the rifle. I just get a sort of a 'ping' noise from the gun, which I think is the shockwave travelling through the barrel. The outfit is much quieter than any of the air rifles I've had, including the old TX with the same mod on it. The barrel length at 24 inches may help - not sure, but I suspect that the powder burn having stopped a full ten inches before the mod, there may be less energy in the gasses as they enter it. That's a guess, but sounds logical to me.

Well heres a shock there is a parker hale fiberglass moderator thats proofed for 22lr http://www.chambersgunmakers.co.uk/Silencers.htm :good: You wont see me rushing out to buy one but there you go.... And yep Air guns propel to the end of the barrel so theres more work for the moderator.

Ah someone else who likes the elley subs, their good rounds better than winchesters in my opinion, Duno about the moderator... Ive heard of people using the logun ones on 22lr's but i wouldnt recomend it being fiberglass :/ Have found using elleys and a parker hail you get more of a bang from the rabbit being hit than the rifle :lol:

Well heres a shock there is a parker hale fiberglass moderator thats proofed for 22lr http://www.chambersgunmakers.co.uk/Silencers.htm :good: You wont see me rushing out to buy one but there you go.... And yep Air guns propel to the end of the barrel so theres more work for the moderator.

To be honest, I don't think a 22.LR moderator would have a lot of pressure to contain. Mine has the end plate bored out to 8mm, so it has even less. It's still mouse quiet, amazing really.

I think the air gun noise was largely mechanical as it was a springer, but what you say about the airgun propelling the pellet all the way MUST be true of the long barelled rimmy too. It certainly is. All I was saying was that comparing a short and a long barrelled .22LR, I wondered if the longer barrelled one would be quieter than the short because the exiting gasses would be at lower pressure, by virtue of the fact that they had already expanded more and so would have given up more energy. It's a question really - I'm trying to work out how the eley sub is SO quiet, given the nature of the moderator I'm using.