Best lead goose load?

Guest cookoff013

zero is about 3 sizes from BB.

bb

b

although some amnufacturers completely ignore 0 as this can be confused with 0 buckshot which is one size below 00 buckshot or "SG" just to add more confusion.

however, 42g BB in lead should be more than up to it for goose, and dont even entertain SG in the air, they go for miles. they will kill on the way down to earth, its like firing 9, .38 in the air at once.

i have a lot of time for RC50 50 gram size zero. i never usually go above a number 3 in lead as i have never found a BB shell that patterns well enough in my gun but these are between a no3 and BB and pattern very well through half choke in my sx3, as long as i can get them i cant see me changing :good:

Following GB signing the African-Eurasian agreement it is now and has been for ages illegal to shoot ANY waterfowl with lead shot. Just googled it to make sure before posting!!

Don't give the antis more ammo to ban lead altogether.....please!

GH

its still ok in scotland as long as its not over wetlands http://www.basc.org.uk/en/utilities/document-summary.cfm/docid/D5C9615C-C762-40F1-8AD9E3509B0B46E2

RC40 number 0 and 3 are the mutts, but i also like gamebore buffalo 42 gram 3 :good:

+1

Following GB signing the African-Eurasian agreement it is now and has been for ages illegal to shoot ANY waterfowl with lead shot. Just googled it to make sure before posting!!

GH

Go back and check again as I have been shooting inland for all legal wildfowl and waders, away from wetlands and watercourses, since 1995 and before with lead and I don`t want to be outside the law.

If you use something similar for foxing then also interested to hear your views,(if it'll stop a fox it'll kill a goose no prob).

I would strongly disagree with that last bit, foxes are pretty soft and don't take much to bowl over, geese are pretty tuff & fast.

Before the lead ban and still to this day inland (I'm in scotland...) I use 3" 42g Eley Alphamax #3, it contains enough momentum to kill out to 50 yards and with a nice full pattern, the same shell in 2 3/4's can provide a better pattern in some guns choke depending. What ever you try make sure you pattern it to see what's best, no point ******* into the wind.

My 10bore used to pattern 3 1/2" 3's very poorly with gaps ducks could easy get through at 30yards. I went a whole season before I hit a pattern plate to find my mistakes... All that extra cost on shells to be no better of than I was with my 12g.

Non-toxic I use Hevishot... £££...

GH

Nope, It's illegal in Engalnd to shoot any waterfowl. In Scotland it is only illegal to use toxic shot over the foreshore and wet lands. N.B. there is also an exclusion zone around wet lands of I think 300 yards TBC.

No cartridge can consitantly take out a goose at 90 yards. The size needed to kill at this range has to be BBor larger , but the pattern is too thin. You might fluke the odd one , but you will wound many more.

Yeah I'd go with that. Is there any chokes for lead in the 12 that you can buy that are tighter than a full? Whilst we are on the subject. Obviously the energy will still be the same, it's the pattern that's the problem. But I'm not thinking about shooting 90 yard birds.

RC40's and RC50's very good shells for the geese which I use but my preferred shell is the winchester xx 3'' BB's there big on recoil but they certainly come out on top its just a shame you can't get them anymore and my stock is running low, once there gone RC's all the way.

i loved the winchesters too but my supply ran dry. just bought 200 RC50's the other night for £96 (cheaper than the mammoths and the fiocchies i used last year) couldnt get the 0's so i got no3's instead, used them yesterday morning to bag 5 greylags all dead as dead can be. :good: