Small rifle primers.

I would say 0% would be my tolerance rate on primers. If some fail to fire what guarantee is there that the others are full force? I use Remington 7 1/2 Bench rest primers and have not had a misfire-----ever.

same here have you made sure your primer pockets are clean etc before you reload the cases.

Ok thank you for your replies will have a look at the bolt n give it a clean. The gun hasn't seen much action from its previous owner but may of sat with the bolt spring loaded for long periods. Will look into a new spring and see how I go. Or my bob the primers back to the rfd for a swap Thanks :good:

I have the exact same rifle and it gets left with the bolt spring under tension for maybe 50% of it's life. I've just put it in for a rebarrel after an estimated 10,000 rounds down it and I can only think of one misfire from it. I use CCI small pistol primers in my homeloads for the hornet and they work a treat.

Edited by njc110381

have you striped and cleaned your bolt ,could be dirt inside ,do you get the same problem with any other primer ?

Thanks pal, that will be the first avenue of enquires I think I can check the pin aswell make sure it's all cosha. Has anyone any ideas where to get the min/ max od sizes of the spring and pin ? so I can check them with the calipers when it's in bits thanks all

Karl

Edited by Amazed

Thank you for your replies.

The rifle is a cz 527 22 hornet and it does strike the primer slightly off centre but does put a good dint in.

Is there any test or would it be worth just replacing the spring and pin aswell ?

That is most probably your problem. If the firing pin doesn't strike within a very short distance of the centre of the primer then you will likely get a failure to fire. The anvil covers a very small area of the primer and if the firing pin isn't in line with it then it won't fire.

J.

That is most probably your problem. If the firing pin doesn't strike within a very short distance of the centre of the primer then you will likely get a failure to fire. The anvil covers a very small area of the primer and if the firing pin isn't in line with it then it won't fire.

J.

Hi pal, I have had a look at the bolt and it looks like the spring is at fault. There isn't enough residual tension in it to throw the pin right out so am ordering a new one any point in getting a new pin at the same time ? Or does anyone know of a after market up rated firing pin assembly for a cz 527 ?

Thanks all

Karl.

is there presure in the spring when u strip the bolt ?? if yes its most likly not the spring but dirt in the end of the bolt sleeve where the pin gose in it at the back of the bolt (the black bit fixed to the end of the pin) can be dificult to get some thing down there to cleen well but id strip the bolt and give it a good cleening out befor buying new parts..

http://www.czub.cz/z...nual-CZ-527.pdf

can u put a pic up of the bolt face with the pin out and a pic of a spent bullet brass that came from the gun

Edited by fruitloop

is there presure in the spring when u strip the bolt ?? if yes its most likly not the spring but dirt in the end of the bolt sleeve where the pin gose in it at the back of the bolt (the black bit fixed to the end of the pin) can be dificult to get some thing down there to cleen well but id strip the bolt and give it a good cleening out befor buying new parts..

http://www.czub.cz/z...nual-CZ-527.pdf

can u put a pic up of the bolt face with the pin out and a pic of a spent bullet brass that came from the gun

Hi pal, there is no pressure at all the bolt handle comes our really easily and the spring looks almost compressed lol. Will put some pics up later am at work all day :(

Thanks Karl.

Hi pal. I see now yes I carnt push it back far enough by hand so the spring has plenty of tension. I think I have found the problem I looked at the other part if the bolt. And on the end where the black end bit sits and locks into place. One of the grooves is machined really badly. I think the pin is catching this every so often slowing the pin enough not to set off the primer.

Thank you very much :)

Karl

Edited by Amazed

just did a vid to put on you tube to show you but its still up loading :good:

Bless ya thanks pal.

I have taken a pic of the offending part I will work it smooth with some wet n dry wrapped round something. I managed to get the spring out by hand and tried the pin on its own to confirm and yes I can feel it catch just enough to slow it down. Thanks again.

will upload the pics later on when I can get to the laptop :)

Karl.