good morning on the crows

dolphin

hi all

after not getting time to shoot for what seemed like forever had a go this morning at the farm where my missus works as the farmer said there was thousands of crows. Set up before first light against a stone wall. Birds came instantly and he wasn't joking. Had trouble with the hide wanting to blow down so my mate took the straps off his rucksack to tie it down on half a dozen occasions. Phoned my missus up at 8am to tell her to bring more cartridges up when she came to work at 9 as we were running out. Got to 11am and we were down to only goose cartridges so used them for the last 10 or 12 birds. Ended the morning on 150 plus crows 138 in the picture. Thanks to stevie b for the idea of the sillouhette crows they work a treat. Only another 850 to shoot so hopefully will be able to get out for them again.

ATB

Dolphin

post-18373-0-18707600-1351361667_thumb.jpg

Well done chaps :good: excellent bag :good: BB

Would have been nice to see a photo of you decoys/pattern :good:

sorry mate forgot you came up with the idea just a random pattern with a couple of feet between deeks but on drilled fields i often

put all my deeks in a straight line along a furrow or tramline if you watch crows feeding daily it would surprise you how often you see this

also my furthest deek is never more than 20 yards out

Well done on getting such a good bag of corvids. I'm glad that the sillouette decoys worked for you. They are brilliant in my opinion. For those who don't know about them, mine were made out of material called Correx, which is like a plastic version of cardboard. It's the same type of material that's used in 'For Sale' signs by estate agents.

I got the template for the birds by googling 'Crow sillouettes'. As the Correx was already black in colour, there was no need to paint them or add material to cover them. I used coat hanger wire to make the stakes, and these are easily inserted into the decoy by fitting them into the channels of the Correx.

Here's a link to a photograph of some of the one's I've made (I now have over 60)

http://forums.pigeon...26-decoy-birds/

Another link to the sillouettes. I used the first two in the photo.

http://www.google.co...iw=1016&bih=583

Steve.