Dog food

Gjmash83

I feed mine on raw.

The best foods out on the market that are more towards the natural sense are; Applaws, Acana, Taste of the Wild, Orijin, Barking Heads and Fish 4 dogs. The trick to sourcing a decent food is to look at the ingredients list. The further down or lack of grains are the better ones, grains cause all sorts of skin problems and ear infections. The higher the meat content is a good way to tell how decent the food is. I think Barking Heads food is about 50+% meat content and not meat waste. They are pricey but if you look at the amount you have to feed, most of them are something like 20p a day to feed.

Of course it's up to you what you want to pay. Your dog may do fine on the more rubbish foods. The proof will be your dog.

Edited by ETO

Lots of good advice. This is something I have spent a fair bit of time looking into. I used to feed raw but with two large dogs and terriers, it was too time consuming to do properly. The more expensive the food, the better quality the ingredients are normally. I used BETA for a long time but won some Chudleighs in a show. Its the lower end of the market but mine scoffed it down. I have a fussy lurcher and for him to eat it was something. I have stuck to this but have to watch protein levels. The working lab needs the worker with 24% in but the others have the orginal in 19%. The difference is clearly noticable in just a week if I change the levels. The worst I ever had was Dr Johns. Got given a bag and the dogs ate it ok but lost all condition rapidly. Some say not to add or change foods as they are 'complete' but I add the odd tin of sardines once every couple of weeks.

i use to feed chudleys classic the dogs went of this food so did a mates we both use skiners duck and rice all the dogs love it .they look a lot better on it well worth the extra money . i have 4 spainels my mate has 3 lads and 1 jack

yeah the same thing happened with my Springer, she went off her food so i switched over to Skinners duck & rice and shes doing great on it, she's in far better condition.

I also occasionally add some tripe too.

Definately recommend fish 4 dogs. If you register as a breeder you can get a 15kg bag for circa £30 delivered. My dog has 200g of this and 1lb of tripe a day. Forget all the rubbish like Wagg, Pedigree and Bakers. It is full of sugars and certainly no good for a working dog.

yeah the same thing happened with my Springer, she went off her food so i switched over to Skinners duck & rice and shes doing great on it, she's in far better condition.

I also occasionally add some tripe too.

Feed mine on skinners d&r also. At 3 years old there's not a ounce of fat on him. Definately think it's a good idea to add other things. I add sardines at scraps. He also gets carrots and other root veg.