Anyone considering the Whooping Cough Vaccine during pregnancy?

jef

My wife had another meeting with the midwife this morning and it's time for the vaccine.

Question is do we get it?

Seems like a no-brainer really, however there is no information on side effects or effects later in life.

There are no cases of Whooping Cough in babies in our area either.

Comments on a post card please.............

JF

Edited by jef

My wife had another meeting with the midwife this morning and it's time for the vaccine.

Question is do we get it?

Seems like a no-brainer really, however there is no information on side effects or effects later in life.

There are no cases of Whooping Cough in babies in our area either.

Comments on a post card please.............

JF

There is plenty of evidence on the effects of whooping cough death being one of them.

if neither you nor your wife has not had the whooping cought now at the age you both are, why would you consider her having the jab when she is pregnant. leave it till she has had the baby, the chances are that one more winter wont make any difference

My missus had it the other week at 38. Baby is in big trouble if they get it in first couple of months. We thought about it, looked it up and decided to get it.

Edit for peck, the vax is not really for us, it's to go through placenta and vaccinate the baby. As it is very dangerous for new borns.

Edited by parapilot

My missus had it the other week at 38. Baby is in big trouble if they get it in first couple of months. We thought about it, looked it up and decided to get it.

Edit for peck, the vax is not really for us, it's to go through placenta and vaccinate the baby. As it is very dangerous for new borns.

Thanks for that. :good:

There are two things to consider here.

The science behind immunisation isn't based solely on protecting the individual but the entire population. It's termed herd immunity, the more people in a group that are immunised the greater the strength of that group to fend off infection and therefore others benefit.

This is why we're now seeing increases in measles outbreaks among school age children. The MMR farce of a few years ago is coming to fruition and those kids who didn't get the vaccine are now catching and spreading the illness to others not immunised so more groups get infected and outbreaks spread quicker and are more severe.

The incidence of whooping cough is alarmingly increasing. The vaccine given to the pregnant women actually confers a degree of conferred immunity to the infant during the first few months of life before the normal jabs at 8 weeks. But it also helps to increase the degree of herd immunity as described above.

Sorry if this is a bit preach-y but it's after all the mis-information of the MMR saga I always explain the benefits.

Joe

In my eyes there is no decision to make, my wife unfortunatley missed the window to have it done as she is about to drop as i type, we asked but it was too late, The hospitals werent given a lot of information from the start- it might have got to them now. As with all these things its balancing the risk, to me any drug that has been approved offers an extremeley low risk of unknow side effects due to the stringent tests they must go through and when i weigh that up against the risk of my baby getting whooping cough and dying its a no brainer.

Thelidamide (spelling) was for morning sickness so was taken very early on in the pregnancy the later the drugs are taken the less likely it is to have an effect on the baby as they become more and more developed. This whooping cough vaccine can be taken between 28-38 weeks so the baby is pretty much developed by then and just getting bigger and stronger.

Its up to you but if we had time my wife would of had it.

I know this is a news article but it seems that all of the right folk are behind the vaccine. It also seems the US have been doing it for a while and I think we would have heard if there was a problem vaccinating during pregnancy. You have to make your own call but I would go for it. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19751209

The UK is often used around the world as a case study for whooping cough. Years ago someone took the decision to stop vaccinating kids as it was then quite rare. Whooping cough came back with a vengeance and kids started dying from it. So they started vaccinating again!

As mentioned above, the MMR fiasco put kids at risk from what used to be considered common childhood diseases. I bet there's a few on here that had measles or got sent to kids parties because one or other had mumps or chicken pox - neither of which you want in later life (trust me!) The thing is, even measles kills children and can be a very serious disease. I've seen what a measles epidemic can do in a small community - not good! It's just that folks have got used to not seeing it or its effects. It's just not worth messing about with single vaccinations - just go for MMR when the time comes.

When you are about to have a child, and even when you have them, making logical decisions about their health is really difficult. You just have to go with the best professional advice and protect them as best you can.

Good luck with the new baby when it finally decides to come in to the world. I trust you have already registered the babe on PW - I don't think we have had anything from womb 101 :)