How close

quadimodo

Hi guys,our shoot captain always gives a safety talk before the shooting begins,and asks us to respect the quarry ,shooting it at a not too close range.

So on plucking a mallard today I find 51, no.6 size non toxic pellets in the breast area alone,we all use 12 gauge guns, is it possible to calculate the height that this bird would have been when it was shot?

You could make a guess, but you would need to know the choke they used to get a rough pattern percentage and the load they used to know how many pellets there were in the first place. 51 is a lot though. That is roughly 25% of a 200 pellet load which isn't far off 32g of #5 lead. If things were choked tightly and one shooter hit the bird, i would guess 15-20 yards or so.

Rick

If it was exceptionally low odds are the shot wouldn't have stayed in the breast area so it may be higher than you think, hit slap bang in the middle of the pattern and possibly as mentioned had two guns shoot together. With that number in I can't imagine its good for much

Thanks guys, for your comments, Kent ,your test with steel at 30 yards give cause for thought.In all my 55 years shooting I cannot remember finding more than 9 pellets in a mallard shot with both lead and now non toxic,although more birds were not killed outright when non toxic came into use.Most were killed at 25_40 yards 30 gram, winchester chasse 6 shot,

and now impact 30 gram 6 shot, inland shooting.

Thanks guys, for your comments, Kent ,your test with steel at 30 yards give cause for thought.In all my 55 years shooting I cannot remember finding more than 9 pellets in a mallard shot with both lead and now non toxic,although more birds were not killed outright when non toxic came into use.Most were killed at 25_40 yards 30 gram, winchester chasse 6 shot,

and now impact 30 gram 6 shot, inland shooting.

Theres a lot to do with which gun and which choke with what shell. Steel will generally pattern far tighter than lead etc through the same choke. No.6 is too small for steel on duck like mallard at normal ranges, i do know a guy who uses no.5 steel and open choke at short range though its not for me