cleaning cf rifle

colin lad

hi all i have just cleaned my cf .222 for the 1st time what i would like to ask is after you have cleaned barrel do you then run a patch through with a couple of drops of gun oil on and if so do you then run 1 or 2 clean patches through or do that just before you next go out or leave the thin coat of oil in or just dont oil after cleaning ??

colin

Always a bit of light oil after cleaning, removed with a meths soaked patch and a few dry ones before use. Forest bore foam is good for light de-coppering and carbon, needs a long time and a number of applications to clear copper from an older or more erroded bore rendering it less than effective for those guns

all depends what you clean with Colin I don't tend to oil mine as I really don't have time to frigg about removing it every other day, but if you are going to store for much longer then its a good idea. I tend to use riflecraft bore cleaner which is pretty kind to barrels and you and really only tend to clean every 40 or so shots or when it gets wet.

all depends what you clean with Colin I don't tend to oil mine as I really don't have time to frigg about removing it every other day, but if you are going to store for much longer then its a good idea. I tend to use riflecraft bore cleaner which is pretty kind to barrels and you and really only tend to clean every 40 or so shots or when it gets wet.

on this occasion i use 009 as that is what i have this is how i did it dont know if it was right,

i soaked a patch in 009 and ran it through

then ran my copper brush through 10/12 times

then about 12 patch's till they came clean

then a patch with 3 drops of gun oil on

then 3 more dry patch's so not too much oil left in barrel

dose that sound ok ??/

colin

Wipeout is by some way the best bore cleaner for a good de clag. I use a couple of cleaners from the US, Butchs Bore shine is one, I ALWAYS put 2 oiled patches through teh bore after cleaning, these MUST be removed with clean patches before use. If I am using a rifle every day then I tend to clean the bore maybe once a week, after clean and oil I will leave the bore guide in to remind me to remove the oil.

A

A lot of Bench rest shooters use the Butches Bore shine product and they compete for money and fame. I like Kroil and Iosso bore paste as it is non-ammonia and doesn't smell quite so bad as most cleaners. I use only nylon bristle brushes as I can change directions inside the bore and not risk crown damage. Seems to be working fine going on 15 years with this method.

Wipeout is by some way the best bore cleaner for a good de clag. I use a couple of cleaners from the US, Butchs Bore shine is one, I ALWAYS put 2 oiled patches through teh bore after cleaning, these MUST be removed with clean patches before use. If I am using a rifle every day then I tend to clean the bore maybe once a week, after clean and oil I will leave the bore guide in to remind me to remove the oil.

A

I used to do similar with an elastic band,issue is your never 100% sure how long your rifle will be stored- the weather might take a turn for the worse etc. and the gun is forgotten with no oil in the bore.i was listening to a guy on the radio the other day talking about air moisture content in modern c/heated homes yesterday and its an issue we should all consider seriously. To remove the oil takes less time than putting on your coat, overtrousers and boots so in practice its a non-issue time wise and cleaning after a few rounds is easier than after a lot. Removing oil with a few dry patches don't do the job totally effectively and the first shot will tend on the high side i have found, one of meths 3 dry should alway do the job but you can tell with feel.

All barrels like a different approach to cleaning and it can change as the bore ages

A lot of Bench rest shooters use the Butches Bore shine product and they compete for money and fame. I like Kroil and Iosso bore paste as it is non-ammonia and doesn't smell quite so bad as most cleaners. I use only nylon bristle brushes as I can change directions inside the bore and not risk crown damage. Seems to be working fine going on 15 years with this method.

I like butches its great for light copper fouling and a good indecator of copper in more heavily worn bores that require a special dedicated copper solvent. Nylon brushing is what i use for working copper solvents in bronze will only desolve and give faulse poitives for copper. I realy shouldn't worry about the crown personally just take it easy on exit and re-entry so the rod itself aint doing the damage, bronze bristles aint going to hurt it none.