Is it worth spending a lot on a sight.

Symes

Uh huh uh huh, errr you said "schmidt".

He also said bender..........

What are you shooting............what ranges......................I had a look through an expensive sight at the game fair,,,,,,,,,,was selling for around 800 quid.......................

To be honest....................I didnt notice the difference between it and my 190 quid sight.........

Hawke SR12................does for me......................

If your shooting dear at 100ydws, the you should be using open sights as far as Im concerened.... :angry:

Alrite mate Got a tikka .243 Started off with a hawke night eye 6-20x50 no good so bought a set of bushnell scope cheif 3-9x42 they ratlled loose and now ive got a set of SCHMIDT&BENDER 8X 56 WITH 30 MM TUBE THE DOGS BITS BUY CHEAP BUY TWICE OR IN MY CASE BUY CHEAP BUY THREE TIMES :angry:

This is what I was getting at in around about way. Do I buy a cheaper sccope then keep upgrading, or just spend the money to start with. Not having had much experience with scopes I wondered if a cheap scope was just as good?? Thanks for the replys.

Looking at buying a schmidt & bender sight. Someone told me not to bother spending the money as a cheaper sight would be just as good! What do you guys think ??

What type of shooting do you think you'll be doing the most ?

If it's under lamp or poor light conditions then the Hungarian 8 x 56 S/B is the Best value for the money IMO :P ......What you get for £380 is instant target recognition at considerable distances ,30 year guarantee and 1 free complete overhaul in the first 10 yrs by Smidt themselves :angry:

You also have the reassurance that should you drop it or bang it on something provided you have used quality mounts it'll still hold zero :no:

It ain't no target shooters scope though :lol:

I have bought cheaper scopes but experience has taught me that for a Foxing set up only the best will do .Expect not much change from £500 if you are including mounts :/

By comparing these scopes with the cheaper alternatives in day light is of no use ...........you have to be out in the conditions they were designed for along with the cheaper alternative to realise :/

Looking at buying a schmidt & bender sight. Someone told me not to bother spending the money as a cheaper sight would be just as good! What do you guys think ??

What type of shooting do you think you'll be doing the most ?

If it's under lamp or poor light conditions then the Hungarian 8 x 56 S/B is the Best value for the money IMO :P ......What you get for £380 is instant target recognition at considerable distances ,30 year guarantee and 1 free complete overhaul in the first 10 yrs by Smidt themselves :angry:

You also have the reassurance that should you drop it or bang it on something provided you have used quality mounts it'll still hold zero :no:

It ain't no target shooters scope though :lol:

I have bought cheaper scopes but experience has taught me that for a Foxing set up only the best will do .Expect not much change from £500 if you are including mounts :/

By comparing these scopes with the cheaper alternatives in day light is of no use ...........you have to be out in the conditions they were designed for along with the cheaper alternative to realise :/

Looking for two sights. One for the sako quad, which the guys in the shop keep pushing the burris made for the quad, but from what i can make out everybody seems to be staying clear off. Quad being used for bunnies etc.

The other scope for a .243, this being used for stalking and fox.

Again from what info i've gathered it would appear, like you've pointed out, a scope side by side in daylight probably not much difference, but an hour either side of daylight is where its worth spending the money!!

Again the guys in the shop pushing S & B or swarovski, big money. :P

I used to beleive that cheaper optics were just as good but like some one has already said buy cheap buy twice. and like him I actualy bought 3 times before setteling on a Schmidt 8x56 Hungarian. Some elitist might argue that the Scmidt is still cheap but it is good enough for anything I will ever need. I was on the range the other week and used my .17 with a cheapish 3-9 x 56 Tasco directly after using the Schmidt on my .243 and the quality of picture clarity is notice able and so is the quality of the reticule.

P1010028.jpg

Thats the group I fired with the 243 mounted wit the Schmidt. I wasn't geting less than an inch with the Tasco. The real differance with quality optics is the extra usage you get at dusk and dawn.

Get the Schmidt you wont regret it.

Dave

In a very recent Shooting Times review of high quality scope by Bruce Potts, the Kahles model came out on top. It's a bit of a biased review, as Potts uses Kahles scopes on a daily basis. However, the S&B 6x42 Hungarian came a very close second, if I recall correctly.

Personally, the one scope I have that has survived decades of rigorous use is a Pecar, made in typically bomb-proof German fashion. The other, much cheaper scopes I have are all of massively lower quality. My next purchase will be an S&B 6x42 model or an 8x56.

You get what you pay for!

To be honest....................I didnt notice the difference between it and my 190 quid sight.........

I think you will when you have spent a couple of hours with your eyes glued to the back of a top quality scope in low light. It is there that the difference in performance is the most noticeable.

Try to spend about as much on the scope as on the rifle - though be careful - CZ have made it possible to spend very little on top quality rifles , but you still need to spend good money on the scope.

Buy cheap and buy twice - I know, I did!

B

Try to spend about as much on the scope as on the rifle ...

Good advice. Even the cheapest rifles are likely to be inherently more than accurate enough for your needs, but you won't get the benefit of that without a decent scope.

I've had a couple of Schmidt and Bender 6x42s for around 15 years. One of them went on my .243 and was zeroed when I first set it up. Apart from a few clicks up or down to allow for different weights of bullet, it has stayed zeroed for the last 15 years! The other one has been on a few rifles and has also never let me down. Both scopes bear the marks of hard use - scratches, dings, and bashes on the tubes and turret covers - but performance is still perfect.

At about £300 each when I bought them, that works out at about £20 per year so far. About the best value shooting products I have ever bought, and I confidently expect to get at least another 20 years use out of them.

I think you will when you have spent a couple of hours with your eyes glued to the back of a top quality scope in low light. It is there that the difference in performance is the most noticeable.

Try to spend about as much on the scope as on the rifle - though be careful - CZ have made it possible to spend very little on top quality rifles , but you still need to spend good money on the scope.

Buy cheap and buy twice - I know, I did!

B

Thats why I spent 700 on NV............... ;):yes:

Schmidt 8x56 Hungarian EVERY TIME you will notice the difference when the light goes you will see things that it is to dark to see with normal eye sight.

Thats what i have on my 223 for fox's my .17HMR has a Nikko sterling nighteater 6x24x56 these are good scopes. :blush::good::good: :blink:

got a tasco on the .17 and it gives good value for money but got a fixed power doctor opic 6x42 on the 6.5x55. never had a gripe with either of them but i really am attached to the doctor optic. if you spend several hundred pounds now on a quality scope, youll be able to pass it on to your grandkids. buy cheap and youll pass it on to your kids soon for the school jumble. :blush:

I have a Swarovski 8x50 on my .243 and a Swaro 8x56. When i bought them both they cost me almost £500 each, which at the time was more than a months wages. I had a schmidt and Bender 8x56 before i had the Swaro's and if i had to choose again i would buy the swaro. The scope is the most important piece of kit you will buy.

Buy the most expensive scope you can afford for the centrefire you won't regret it