Laser Eye Surgery (Update)

Paul T

I wrote some time ago that I was considering having laser eye surgery and thanks to all that gave some input...

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/205773-laser-eye-surgery/page__st__40

...Well yesterday I had it done. I have to say that creating the flap on the eye was pretty uncomfortable but nothing can prepare you for the 'sand in the eyes' sensation afterwards! The actual procedure itself was pretty cool and not at all unpleasant.

This morning all that soreness is gone and my vision is really good already. I'm told it will continue to improve over the next few days, so should be really sharp by the time I'm next out shooting.

Cost wise, I'm -5.25 in one eye and -3.75 in the other and the initial quote for the basic treatment was £2200. LASIK with intralase wavefront thingy was £2800. I didn't sign up immediately and they chased up by phone so said I was still thinking about the cost. Then I got a voucher by email to say if I signed before the end of October and had it done by the end of November their best offer was £1500 for the top flight treatment. At nearly half the initial quote I was given I bit their hands off - and yes, that was for both eyes.

Thanks again to all who helped me make up my mind.

Who did you go with ?

Optical Express - I've been getting my contact lenses from them for years

Glad to hear it all went well next time I'm home and we hit the clay ground it should only be me with an excuse for missing

Just give me a bell when you get back and we'll sort out a day...

good news mate , no excuse for missing them pigeons in future :good:

Cheers mate - I was down at the farm last weekend (family get together, no shooting) but there wasn't much about anyway. There's still more drilling to be done so John will tip us off when it's done :good:

What about seeing in the dark and halos?

Would love to get it done myself

I weighed up all the pros and cons, hence my canvassing on here too. My night vision wasn't great before anyway and I suffered dreadful glare from car headlights. When the missus drove me home last night I was amazed at how my night vision had improved and so soon after surgery. Overall glare is actually much reduced and I have no halos at all.

My eyes still feel tired or like I've had a really heavy session on the beer the night before. My vision is not yet up to the really high standard I had with contacts, but it's significantly better than 20/20 (I had my 24hr check up this morning and all's well). I'm told it will continue to improve over time. The worst bit really, is the 'sand in the eyes' for the first 8hrs. For some reason it really affected my tinnitus (don't know why) but I was wearing the carpet out pacing the room at my parents. That's singly the worst thing I could say about it.

Drop me a pm if you want to know anything else and I'll gladly answer all your questions.

A lot more get turned down than you would think, in fact when I went I was made fully aware of all the possible problems and issues, nothing but praise for Optimax in Finchley Rd, mind that was 12 years ago !

I do need reading glasses now but that is because I am an old ****** !