Advice for competitions

bridges

Good morning folks,

I'm new to the forum and I'm new to clay pigeon shooting so forgive me if this has been covered before.

I've got 2 competitions coming up in December in Monmouth and in Shropshire for my uni. I've got a few practices before the comps but I was wondering if you have any tips for success?

Cheers

Most newbies miss targets behind, so if you miss it, give the next one a bit more lead. Never miss it in the same place twice.

A very general statement I know, keep your head hard down on the stock and try and keep the gun moving.

Be careful when setting yourself up, foot position is important.

Cat.

All this but most of all ENJOY. from Auntie.

Most newbies miss targets behind, so if you miss it, give the next one a bit more lead. Never miss it in the same place twice.

A very general statement I know, keep your head hard down on the stock and try and keep the gun moving.

Be careful when setting yourself up, foot position is important.

Cat.

ENJOY

Do allthe hard work outside of the stand; Once you are in there it should be a simple matter of sticking to hold, visual pick up points and the plan you made before you got in the box.

If anything urprises you once your in, it means you didnt pay enough attention!

ENJOY

Good morning folks,

I'm new to the forum and I'm new to clay pigeon shooting so forgive me if this has been covered before.

I've got 2 competitions coming up in December in Monmouth and in Shropshire for my uni. I've got a few practices before the comps but I was wondering if you have any tips for success?

Cheers

I live 10 mins from monmouth, were about are you shooting bridges ?? :good:

Edited by fruity

Hi mate, read the book 'if it aint broke, fix it' it may alter they way you shoot but it will give you results, in a nut shell the gun is never behind the bird, maintaing lead and traveling at the same speed as the bird so it is lot more forgiving,it works. Agree with ed, massive amount of the work is outside the stand, always try to look at others shooting the stand, I always find the stands I haven't done as well at are ones where there is no one waiting so I only see a pair and don't have time to properly study them, makes massive difference. Forget everything else around you.No one really cares what you shoot bar you, it's all in the mind and it's you against yourself, Don't worry if you miss, focus on the next target only, can't do anything about ones you miss.

Edited by altnipper

Watch where the clay lands. If someone misses look to see the flight of the clay and how far away it lands. Just for example, I shot a local comp recently where you had a pair of birds crossing right to left but starting a long way to the right. But, they landed only about 10 yds past the stand and 15 yds out. So by the time they were level with the stand there was no appreciable lead, just shot the front edge. Most folks missed as they thought they were fast crossers and gave lots of lead.

On one of our regular shoots there's a going away that starts below your level and only just climbs to your shoulder height going up hill between trees. It looks like it's going away at 90mph. But, it lands only about 50 yds out. Everyone rushes to take it and misses over the top. In fact, you can take it anywhere right out to the point it lands and there's plenty of time.

I try not to count my score as I progress as I find this takes my focus away from the clays. I don't care about other scores or even my own until I've finished the last stand and as long as I've kept my head free of the 'I need this one to break my PB' then I usually do ok.

Just stay focused on the kill zone and keeping your gun moving and don't worry about anything else until you have to.

Oh yeah, and remember to smile for the camera when you pick your trophy up

:)