Home work help

bullet1747

As Oscar's Dad said, yes and yes.

First one easily demonstrated with one teaspoon of sugar in a glass of boiling water and another in glass of cold water.

Second one is simple logic, provided it is within an immediate time period. A day of hard work and visits to the toilet will mean the gain disappears over the day provided there aren't more calories present than burned.

Bullet1747

send your 10 year old back in to school and ask if they are talking about a solid in a liquid, a gas in a gas, a gas in a liquid and so on and at what temperature e.g. it won't make much difference if you try to dissolve sugar in water at minus 11 degrees Celsius. Then you can wait for the school report that either says your kid has a career in science or is just a pain in the ****.

Rule of thumb is that for every 10 degrees rise in temperature the reaction goes twice as fast.

And, stand on the scales with your arms above your head - swing them down quickly and watch the scales go back to zero - see, you can eat as much as you like for breakfast and become weightless.

And get your youngster to ask the teacher this one.

If I stand on the scales on only one foot I weigh X

If I stand on the scales with two feet to spread the load I weigh just the same.

If I put one foot on each of two scales what will the weight say on each one?

If teachers want to ask 10 year olds questions then they have to expect them back (PS, wife teaches 10 year olds)

Edited by WVAM

Bullet1747

send your 10 year old back in to school and ask if they are talking about a solid in a liquid, a gas in a gas, a gas in a liquid and so on and at what temperature e.g. it won't make much difference if you try to dissolve sugar in water at minus 11 degrees Celsius. Then you can wait for the school report that either says your kid has a career in science or is just a pain in the ****.

Rule of thumb is that for every 10 degrees rise in temperature the reaction goes twice as fast.

And, stand on the scales with your arms above your head - swing them down quickly and watch the scales go back to zero - see, you can eat as much as you like for breakfast and become weightless.

And get your youngster to ask the teacher this one.

If I stand on the scales on only one foot I weigh X

If I stand on the scales with two feet to spread the load I weigh just the same.

If I put one foot on each of two scales what will the weight say on each one?

If teachers want to ask 10 year olds questions then they have to expect them back (PS, wife teaches 10 year olds)

Thems the sort of questions my dad told me to ask my teachers after he read my homework when i was at primary, the other kids looked puzzled and at times so did the teacher...

i got sent to the headteacher after a few questions and was described by my teacher as a pest, i then proceeded to explain to her what was classed as a pest (pigeons, coz they eat crops, rabbits for the same reason, magpies coz they rob eggs etc etc), i got some funny looks and a good grill in... wish i could go back and do it all again!

Question. Independent. Dependent. Control

Does the

Temperature

Affect time

Taken to dissolve

Does the breakfast

You have affect

How much you

Weigh

It's a 10 year old science home work my brain isn't working

What exactly do you need to know? I think it is supposed to be a table, noting independent, dependent and control variables for the two experiments. Could be wrong.

The independent variable is what you change in an experiment.

The dependent variable is what you measure.

Control variables are things which must be kept the same during the experiment.

For "does temperature affect the time taken to dissolve", the independent variable would be the temperature, as this is changed. The dependent would be the time taken to dissolve, as this is what you measure, and control variables would include, for example, the quantities of substances you are using. If this was not kept the same for all experiments, it would affect the results and you would not know how temperature affects the time taken to dissolve.

Do the same for the next one.

Hope that helps. I'm not sure if that's what you were after.