Bag limit

Goose hunt

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Terry 12 geese for 1 man per week iz nothing. R u a birdie boy o Sumet!! "Blasting away at them" I shot 12 not 112 l!! I could of shot al

I have no problem with someone taking advantage of the odd red letter day. We've all been there at some time or other but you seem to be hinting that this was nothing unusual for you. I don't know many wildfowlers with access to foreshore like those in the North West that would rather shoot geese inland. Out of interest what did you do with your 12 geese for the week?

Terry 12 geese for 1 man per week iz nothing. R u a birdie boy o Sumet!! "Blasting away at them" I shot 12 not 112 l!! I could of shot al

Not sure what your on about pal where have I accused you of 'blasting away at them' ???????. But as for 12 per week is nothing that would equate to about 260 a season, do you consider that to many per man??

As for being a birdie boy,I do enjoying watching what goes on in the marsh just as much as bringing a bird or two home. So yes I guess I am.

Not sure what your on about pal where have I accused you of 'blasting away at them' ???????. But as for 12 per week is nothing that would equate to about 260 a season, do you consider that to many per man??

As for being a birdie boy,I do enjoying watching what goes on in the marsh just as much as bringing a bird or two home. So yes I guess I am.

It was me that made the Blasting away comment.

One of the strongest points in the defence of true wildfowling is that, when done properly, it represents all that is best in the concept of sustainable harvesting.

I do sometimes wonder if there comes a number,I don`t purport to know what it is, with individual bags when we go past the point of sustainability?

Sorry Terry! Alot of people take them off me ! I kept 2 for my self been on goose and mint sauce butts at work all wk !! Hold my hand up iv shoot alot more then 12 on a number of occasions but I don't do it week in week out ! Like I said I could of had a bag full the other morning! ! ! If I don't do my job proper the farmers would just get some1 else !! I respect nature I'm not a blood trusty man who goes out 2 shoot big numbers!!

Terry p coz it dead mans shoes ! Once you drop out there's no getting back in ! 25 ur waiting list plus who no's wot will happen in the future !!

Meanwhile your stopping someone else shooting it who might fully appriciate it for what saltings shooting (proper fowling) can most truely can be. I was raised in Southport and remember the old ticket system, i now live only 40mins to 1hr away and am fully aware that there is no point in even applying. Does your comments make me feel better about these matters? not one bit! does it suport your sporting credentials by saying you prefer to shoot them inland? Nope! being blunt "the place holding mentality" seems to me to me personally show the greed so often associated with deycoying geese inland.

I agree with you about doing the silly `O` clock thing on the foreshore or marsh but not everyone has the ability to be able to walk across sand dunes, sea walls, marsh & mud etc. The good freind who`s farm we decoy goose on is in a wheel chair. we are not just having some good `sport` and its not a massive cull. Its a pastime like all other forms of shooting. My freind has shot for years including all types of shooting both a rifle and shotgun at targets, clays, deer, pigeon, geese & duck and also phesant. he cannot always get into the field on his chair so he sometimes shoots from an argo. We never have shoot the same fields twice in the same week unless it has been for pigeon & crows and every thing that has been shot that can be eaten is.

I am not realy sure what your saying, other than its ok for you to shoot geese inland over deeks coz your mate is disabled? of course not everyone can do the saltmarsh, thats why we must savour it while it lasts. Its not my place to tell others story but suffice to say we all know those who can no longer make the trip

Iv got my son 2 think about wen he's old enough 2 shoot I'd b able 2 get him in as a young shot !! Jst like my dad did with me! If there's no geese inland then I will turn 2 the marsh . I average 5 10 visits a year !! £320 a yr it's nowt 2 keep hold of!! Think of the future !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Think of the future is good advice but what makes you think when there are no longer any inland they will be on the marsh? If you want to safeguard shooting for your son to enjoy maybe you'd be best following your own advice. Like I said earlier you can only shoot them once.

Iv got my son 2 think about wen he's old enough 2 shoot I'd b able 2 get him in as a young shot !! Jst like my dad did with me! If there's no geese inland then I will turn 2 the marsh . I average 5 10 visits a year !! £320 a yr it's nowt 2 keep hold of!! Think of the future !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

your not impoving my own image of you with such talk of retaing your membership so you might get your son in who might not even want to shoot or shoot the foreshore. Heck if you look how things went over the last twenty years or so on southport it might well be that nobody is able to shoot it in another 20yrs, perhaps its better some proper keen coastal wildfowlers are allowed in to fight for your offsprings shooting ?

Goose Hunt , your talk of " doing your job " sounds pretty hollow. "You would be doing your job" if you just shot a couple and then scared the geese away. Or got the farmer to put a scarer on the field. ( Anyone who shoots large bags of pink feet bring wildfowling into disrepute.

What is the point of your post ? You asked what people thought of shooting big bags of geese and the main opinion on here is that its a sign of poor sportsmanship yet you keep hiding under the unnessary guise of calling it crop protection. As I have already said there is no need to shoot geese to protect a crop, there are much more effective methods of doing the job ( though I have no problem with a modest bag first ).

I have no problem with decoying geese inland , I do it myself a couple of times a season , but you need to use your head and take small bags when you do it. After all its like shooting fish in a barrel at times. If we all shot pinks in the numbers you seem to be doing there will be none for your son to shoot in the future anyway. I doubt your actions will be very poplar with your clubs committee. In my clubs you would be warned and if you carried on be expelled from the club by the committee. Even if you were shooting on non club ground you are still shooting geese that are comming off the clubs estuary , so damaging their shooting.

Thinking of the future is the one thing you do not seem to be doing!!!!!

I

" If I do not shoot them someone else will " I have never heard such rubbish in all my life and a sure way to end wildfowling in the future if we all took that line of thought.

Out of interest how many times in a season do you shoot your geese inland ?

Edited by anser2

And like I said If I don't shoot them sum1 else will! catch 22 !! There's nothing else I can do if the geese are not inland oh on the marsh!! Every1 has diffrent thoughts on things if I said I'd shot 5 some1 would of said that's way 2 many!! Carnt win!!

This is what greed is " if i dont get em, someone else will" If i am wrong then can anyone explain the new meaning of the word please?

Goose Hunt , your talk of " doing your job " sounds pretty hollow. "You would be doing your job" if you just shot a couple and then scared the geese away. Or got the farmer to put a scarer on the field. ( Anyone who shoots large bags of pink feet bring wildfowling into disrepute.

What is the point of your post ? You asked what people thought of shooting big bags of geese and the main opinion on here is that its a sign of poor sportsmanship yet you keep hiding under the unnessary guise of calling it crop protection. As I have already said there is no need to shoot geese to protect a crop, there are much more effective methods of doing the job ( though I have no problem with a modest bag first ).

I have no problem with decoying geese inland , I do it myself a couple of times a season , but you need to use your head and take small bags when you do it. After all its like shooting fish in a barrel at times. If we all shot pinks in the numbers you seem to be doing there will be none for your son to shoot in the future anyway. I doubt your actions will be very poplar with your clubs committee. In my clubs you would be warned and if you carried on be expelled from the club by the committee. Even if you were shooting on non club ground you are still shooting geese that are comming off the clubs estuary , so damaging their shooting.

Thinking of the future is the one thing you do not seem to be doing!!!!!

I

And this is maybee why north norfolk is so important to the international population of Pinks

And like I said If I don't shoot them sum1 else will! catch 22 !! There's nothing else I can do if the geese are not inland oh on the marsh!! Every1 has diffrent thoughts on things if I said I'd shot 5 some1 would of said that's way 2 many!! Carnt win!!

No excuse though is it just because others do it? You've not been met with anger or hostility just people with different ideas on what constitutes a bag limit. You intimated that you could and have shot more suggesting it was a regular event which is what constitutes excess in my opinion. Something tells me you knew that though and along with your " I prefer inland' remark" were looking for confrontation.

It's not about winning just like Wildfowling isn't just about killing ducks and geese

Anser2 I shoot all season like every1 else! ! Try and get out once or twice a week ! No every visit I get a shot !!

You say you shoot on the foreshore 5- 10 times a year, but you're out once or twice a week. That means you go a hell of a lot inland.Aside from bag limits or excess, do you not get a little bored with it all?

I shot 2 pinks this morning and one mallard on the shore. I may have shot another pink or two given the chance and maybe a couple more duck, and as i already have plenty of pinks to pluck, i would have called it a day at that.

Fair point on your behalf Dekers, you are a professional pest controller so I would expect you to take out as many as you can to protect your reputation.

Just out of curiosity though, what do you do with all of the dead birds afterwards?

The majority get eaten, commonly by family and friends, others may go to professional contacts for personal use! Some just aren't up to it through age, seasonality, whatever, and usually get incinerated.

Anything else goes as fox bait!

Dekers, what calibre do you use for the geese?

It will depend on the site, seldom .22lr, most commonly HMR or WMR, sometimes small CF but not often.

If I have specific orders for goose for the table from those I am happy to donate to, I will endeavour the use the HMR which is perfectly capable of head shots at 100 yards. If it is a clearance and the job needs to be done quickly and efficiently then commonly the WMR with a 30g V-Max, hit them where you like and they fall down.

Every situation and site is different, sometimes one shot and they are all in the air, other times you can just pick them off. (and/or wait until they are flightless, please don't create, this is Pest Control) One golf course I deal with has their sleeping quarters about a mile behind it and they always head there when the shots start, so I take what I can and shotgun partners stand ready and waiting and drop a few more as they fly over!

Every1 has there differences . Some people like decoying pigeon some like roost shooting some like flighting them . It can go on and on. I'm in southport wildfowlers 1 of he best marshs in the country but I still enjoy inland goose shooting the most! Do a great job for the farmers and respect every1s comments !!

Yep the farmers sure do need a hand around here. Thousands on the fields this morning.

Sorry Terry! Alot of people take them off me ! I kept 2 for my self been on goose and mint sauce butts at work all wk !! Hold my hand up iv shoot alot more then 12 on a number of occasions but I don't do it week in week out ! Like I said I could of had a bag full the other morning! ! ! If I don't do my job proper the farmers would just get some1 else !! I respect nature I'm not a blood trusty man who goes out 2 shoot big numbers!!

I find there is no shortage of friends and families and friends of family who will take as many goose breasts as you can get. The important thing as I see it is not to overshoot to the extent that you can't use the meat. :good:

It will depend on the site, seldom .22lr, most commonly HMR or WMR, sometimes small CF but not often.

If I have specific orders for goose for the table from those I am happy to donate to, I will endeavour the use the HMR which is perfectly capable of head shots at 100 yards. If it is a clearance and the job needs to be done quickly and efficiently then commonly the WMR with a 30g V-Max, hit them where you like and they fall down.

Every situation and site is different, sometimes one shot and they are all in the air, other times you can just pick them off. (and/or wait until they are flightless, please don't create, this is Pest Control) One golf course I deal with has their sleeping quarters about a mile behind it and they always head there when the shots start, so I take what I can and shotgun partners stand ready and waiting and drop a few more as they fly over!

Dekers I fully agree. :good: