browning "BPS"

Paddy Galore!

Have a 10 bore and a 12 bore, fantastic guns.

Dont think they are imported routinely, now and again a batch are brough in if they have to many in the states.

I paid £350 for my 12 new about 4 years ago my 10 I bought used for £500

shot the 10 on sunday,one of the better made and balanced 10,s craig

I spent ages looking for a bps 12 and finally found one 2 months ago. It's currently with a gunsmith being reblued. Its going to be my pigeon hide gun. I prefer being able to load without breaking the gun and the bps will drop empties at my feet rather than spraying them everywhere like a semi. Put one next to a mossy and check the quality difference. If I saw one in 10g I would grab it too.

I rather like my Remmy 870 Express. You can feed it anything and it's very pointable. I think they are less than £500 new. Same receiver etc as the Wingmaster.

Gram,

My advice to you would be to look for second-hand 870 Wingmaster - mine's as slick as pig snot on a door-knob. Also, if you can find one, consider getting my personal favourite: the Ithaca M37.

Regards,

Mark.

that was my next idea, they do them in wood too which i'd prefer to tacky old plastic, thanks gents for the help :good:

Other options; high end: Benelli Supernova, awesome, well made and stylish pumper. I have one and love it.

Low end: CBC (Magtech Nevada) Brazilian made copy of an 870 Wingmaster.

My first shotgun, bought brand new for £150 and I've spent about twice that on ammo to put through it. Didn't clean it for 10 years, never missed a beat. Bullet proof and I don't care if I scratch it. Like a fine wine, or a guitar the just get better with age. Used ones going for about £200 or less these days, but I'd haggle! Wouldn't sell mine if I needed the money for food, it means that much to me!!

Other options; high end: Benelli Supernova, awesome, well made and stylish pumper. I have one and love it.

Low end: CBC (Magtech Nevada) Brazilian made copy of an 870 Wingmaster.

My first shotgun, bought brand new for £150 and I've spent about twice that on ammo to put through it. Didn't clean it for 10 years, never missed a beat. Bullet proof and I don't care if I scratch it. Like a fine wine, or a guitar the just get better with age. Used ones going for about £200 or less these days, but I'd haggle! Wouldn't sell mine if I needed the money for food, it means that much to me!!

+1 for the supernova they are an awesome bit of kit !!!!

I''ve never handled an Ithaca m37, but have read that they are well made all steel guns and very robust. Like the bps they are bottom eject too. The supernova is the best modern pump, I have one for psg, but it's a whole lot of plastic and is just a tool rather than something to take pride in.

Edited by theshootist

I''ve never handled an Ithaca m37, but have read that they are well made all steel guns and very robust. Like the bps they are bottom eject too. The supernova is the best modern pump, I have one for psg, but it's a whole lot of plastic and is just a tool rather than something to take pride in.

I've heard you can keep the trigger depressed on the Ithaca M37 and just rack the slide back and forth to keep firing. Sounds terribly gangsta!

Lots of old pumps lacked a trigger disconnect.

On the M37 the slamfire facility is provided by a second sear. Ithaca stopped adding this extra sear about 1975. However, the M&P versions still had the sear until at least 1983. (Guess how I know...:))

I think the Winchester 1897 did that.

Indeed, it did.

Now there's p.a. I would like to find d!

Same here. Of course, Norinco do a reproduction and, as far as I have heard, it's not bad.

Regards,

Mark.

Edited by ChAoS

I think the slam fire is interesting

It certainly is. :)

but not something that I'd ever use for pigeons or PSG!

Pigeons? No. PSG? Oh, *yes*!

I'm afraid, original or nothing for me.

I'd be afraid of breaking anything old.

My late Dad left me with a nice hundred-year-old Greener SxS hammer gun. It was *very* nice to shoot. However, I gave it to my uncle as I considered myself to be not its *owner*, but merely the current "custodian". It didn't want to be one who broke it and I *do* break things - more or less *anything*. (See my username for a hint.)

I've looked at importing a diamond grade 1897 from the US - but it starts to get very expensive!

Yes, that *does* sound expensive.

Regards,

Mark.

Another vote for the 37, it is acutally a copy of the BPS or at least based on it.

They are totally different guns. See here:

http://randywakeman.com/Ithaca37_Browning_%20BPS_Compare.htm

The M37 has been in production - on and off - since 1937. I believe that, in comparison, the BPS is a relative newcomer.

One of the best pump actions money can buy

Now *this*, I agree with. :)

Regards,

Mark.

Edited by ChAoS

They are totally different guns. See here:

http://randywakeman....BPS_Compare.htm

The M37 has been in production - on and off - since 1937. I believe that, in comparison, the BPS is a relative newcomer.

Now *this*, I agree with. :)

Regards,

Mark.

I didnt mean they are the same. If you research the history of repeaters you will find that John browning holds a lot of patents the 37 was based on those patents after they ran out. It is true browning company did not manufacture a bps pump action until 1978.