Landrover Discovery Sunroof

Cockermax

Got a Discovery TD5, had it for nearly 6 years with all the usual problems, strangely I actually quite like it, does everthing I want to & more.

Got the standard problem of the sunroof leaking & both sunroof motors now failing to work. Intend to tackle this when I get time & can source 2nd hand motors.

In the meantime was thinking of just sealing them up for the time being. Anyone done this? is it as simple as running a sealant between the sunroof glass & frame and what the best sealant to use.

Any advice other than scrap the car would be helpfull.

before you run a bead of sealant around it .run some tape around it first , heat up with a hair dryer so that it is firmly in place , then put a bead of sealant around it . the tape makes it easier to remove when the time comes around , use a flexible sealant that you would get from a body shop supplies company ,or even halfords

Usual problems that I have had are, rear air suspension bags leaking, ABS/TC/HDC (3 Amigos) lights on, first time was ABS Sensor 2nd time was Shuttle Valve Switch. Few others but cant remember the technical jargon for them. As I say overall happy with the vehicle and will fit new sunroof motors & seals when I get chance.

Thanks for the hint on using tape first I was wondering how hard it would be to unseal it.

The leak is usually from where the sunroof cartridge is bonded to the roof panel itself. The extremely thin bead of sealant that landrover put on there breaks down and allows ingress. The fix is to remove the headlining, not difficult but fiddley and time consuming, then remove the sunroof cartridge clean both surfaces and re seal using sikaflex, tiger seal or similar.

i had a old 300 tdi discovery a few years ago . it had twin sunroofs both of them leaked badly ,but i replaced the seals and they all right after that nothing more annoying that your windows all steamed up due to water ingress

Mine does this;it is the ES(Electric Stuff)model and cost £35,000 when new so I've been told.Worth about a tenner now.If it doesn't rain in,it isn't a Landie!

I run a bead of silicone between the roof and sunroof frame. First time I tried it didn't last long though so did it again but smeared it in with my finger and it's fine now. Doesn't look pretty from above but who ever sees it from above. You could also take more care than I did but I just wasn't that bothered.

dont get a 2nd hand motor...mend the old one...its usually the same old problem the steel bush has rusted to the shaft....steel on steel ..not the right idea...free it off and grease it and put it back...that is usually the cause of a leaking sunroof..the motor not working properly...so you dont use it...then it sticks fast.....always open and close the sunroof regualary

ditchman

The way to do it is either to drop the headlining and clean the tubes or a favoured approach

Drop the headlining, cut the tubes, plug them on both sides, run a silicone smear on both sides of the seal and leave like that til dry

Means no water is draining inside (stupid idea by the designer) and your sunroofs are still water tight and usable