Brecon pictures

Dunkield

I do a bit walking from time to time, as it a bit of a social thing as well a good way of getting (keeping?) fit and preparing for the hind stalks we have booked.

Here are a few pictures from the weekend just gone.

Some of you may be familiar with these peaks, as they are used by Duke of Edinburgh award kids, Army cadets and the Army themselves - as well as a bit of a meca for hillwalkers.

We did 3 of the 4 main peaks and then yomped back to the car and down the pub for quick beer before heading off home for hot baths.

The weather was the usual 4 seasons in one day, sometimes 2 at a time :drinks:

The view from the top of Fan Y Big

HPIM0965.jpg

Some wag has been up there with a couple of tins of paint

HPIM0962.jpg

See what I mean about the weather!

HPIM0948.jpg

The view looking back towards Brecon (I think?)

HPIM0958.jpg

The worst thing was the missus wanted to give the dog a decent walk this weekend as well so I ended up doing another 8 miles, in the rain, yesterday. For today at least 'buns of steel' springs to mind!

I have never see it in the sun, but this is what they look like on the rare occasion it comes out, + a bit more information about the area:

http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/wm/bb/bb.html

Been there, loved it. Will hopefully do similar in Scotland by bike when I get there in 2 years time :drinks:

Im a walking fan myself, but I dont get a chance to hike much, (round east sussex, done most of the good walks several times).

Just started using GPS to get to nice places I never knew about right round the corner!

Great pictures, Stuart, it's an amazing landscape when seen from the peaks. It's just a pity that the Army never let me gently bimble up to the top of the hills, nor allowed plenty of opportunities for scenic photos. Did you encounter any deranged military types there, shuffling about like the living dead, pretending that they were enjoying themselves?

Try these ones next time your oop north stuart,Haystacks looking towards Newlands valley.

That looks spectacular H :lol: I fancy that.

We must have got a bit delerious as we started talking about 'doing killy' after the Ben Fogle programs last week, time will tell if we ever do (but it's running out for most of us!)

Great pictures, Stuart, it's an amazing landscape when seen from the peaks. It's just a pity that the Army never let me gently bimble up to the top of the hills, nor allowed plenty of opportunities for scenic photos. Did you encounter any deranged military types there, shuffling about like the living dead, pretending that they were enjoying themselves?

The time before last we came up the other side of the hills past the crashed airplane, if anyone knows where that is, we did stumble accross some Army types, looking very fed up and wet. As always it was tipping down with rain and as you say it is OK for us softies home for a warm bath and bottle of red in front of the fire, staying up there must put a different slant on it altogether! I actually felt a bit embarrased as the only waterproofs I had at the time were Goretex DPM's so they must have thought I wanted to be one of them :good:

Nice pics stuart, i live about 10 minutes from there and have never walked them, will have to soon thou i think

It's always the same, I have never been round Windsor Castle properly and people fly thousnds of miles to get there. You have the edge as you can see a nice day and get out there, we just set a date and go up either way!

Nice pics stuart, i live about 10 minutes from there and have never walked them, will have to soon thou i think

It's always the same, I have never been round Windsor Castle properly and people fly thousnds of miles to get there. You have the edge as you can see a nice day and get out there, we just set a date and go up either way!

I've been to windsor castle :good::lol::lol:

Guy's,

Had a wicked weekend away in the heart of Wales. We covered around 80km off road from Knighton to Aberystwyth and then south to Builth Wells.

The recent rain had made a few of the tracks very tricky, but with ten vehicles in the convoy and several equipped with winches, it was not a problem.

I have three piccys posted here.

1. Who said a Defender can't climb a near vertical, five foot high bank? ???

2. The precesion arrives to tackle the bog. I got stuck and had to be winched out!!! ???

3. The scenery is just magic.

Cheers,

Rob.