cannabis made legal

evo

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A 4 month old child died in Leeds a while ago as the drug addled father was passed out on the kitchen floor and the mother moved a TV to plug in a scart lead so she could watch a DVD.

The child was lying on the floor in front of the TV and was crushed as it fell on it. The mother was too wasted to think about moving the child or waiting for help to move the TV.

This story is on today's evening post.

Do we really want to legalise any drugs??

These two need neutering.....

A 4 month old child died in Leeds a while ago as the drug addled father was passed out on the kitchen floor and the mother moved a TV to plug in a scart lead so she could watch a DVD.

The child was lying on the floor in front of the TV and was crushed as it fell on it. The mother was too wasted to think about moving the child or waiting for help to move the TV.

This story is on today's evening post.

Do we really want to legalise any drugs??

These two need neutering.....

Thats very subjective - how many people have burned the house down with the kids inside due to being drunk?

Using random incidents of people doing bad things to oppose legalization as an "argument" fails as it assumes people who support legalization want more drug use. I and the majority of people who support legalization I've spoken too don't want or predict this, except maybe in cannabis use .

It also fails as an argument because prohibition fails to address these problems as well.

People give prohibition, a failed system, far too much credit.

Edited by gazzthompson

The damage caused is somewhat pointless as the current system fails to address it in anyway shape or form either (other than giving criminals funding) . It makes no sense to acknowledge the damage a drug can do in support of prohibition, a system that has failed to tackle it.

What did Einstein say about insanity again?

Edited by gazzthompson

The legalisation that commenced yesterday was only the first part of the law. There is a system of registration and regulation for producers and retailers coming over the next year or so. There is also a tax regeime being put in place and there is also a prescribed limit over which you cannot drive.

Personally, I see no problem with it. If that's what people want to do then they should be allowed to. I don't accept that such a system is a worse system than the current one it being illegal.

Whichever way you look at it though, this is what the people of Washington want. They voted on it specifically and the majority voted in favour. It wasn't just a policy of some party who happened to be voted into government on other policies.

J.

I do not have an issue with it if the users did not burgle my house, steal my car or mug my mother to fund it . Sadly the wasters do do that so it is a problem.

Gixer, it's a valid point you make re alcohol causing the same problem. My view has always been that i know what is in my beer, that is not always the case with certain drugs ( do not know enough about weed to know if it can be cut). Also, as somone has pointed out, the stuff now is way stronger than what was available years ago

i think to legalise it is a joke,dont agree with drugs whatsoever,and i also think you should not be allowed to own a firearm of any description if you do take drugs,in my opinion,,if i had my way ,random drug tests should be done on all firearm cert holders,,theres a few on here who would lose their licence thats for sure,,but thats how i feel,,and dont start the Alcohol is a drug bull,,but lets be honest how many on here who smoke pot told their FAO cos i,ll tell ya ,,,,NONE now tell me why you didnt tell him,,,i know why ya didnt ,,,cos you would NOT have been granted your licence if you had,,,,

ok made cuppa waiting for the onslaught now :angry: :angry: :angry:

well said mate!! I couldnt agree more! They ruin lives even canabis ruins lives, long term use causes depression paranoya and schizophrenia, often leading to suicide! Iv see a couple of lads that were in my class at school go down that road one of whom comitted suicide! I knew him before the drugs and i beleive he would still be here if he avoided them! So for those of you who think legalising drugs would be a good thing , no offence but wake up and smell the coffee!

well said mate!! I couldnt agree more! They ruin lives even canabis ruins lives, long term use causes depression paranoya and schizophrenia, often leading to suicide! Iv see a couple of lads that were in my class at school go down that road one of whom comitted suicide! I knew him before the drugs and i beleive he would still be here if he avoided them! So for those of you who think legalising drugs would be a good thing , no offence but wake up and smell the coffee!

Well said ! I saw similar things happen in lads I knew in the 80s . Pole Star

Its because it ruins life's and is dangerous that people want it legalised (Off the streets, cleaner safer drugs, better rehab) . So telling somebody who supports legalisation that its a bad idea because they are harmful is a non argument as both sides agree to that.

Edited by gazzthompson

everythings dangerous you could come up with stats to ban coffee if you try hard enough. (maybe it gave 1 in a 1000000 a heart attack. point is if people choose to do these things making up strict un workable laws wont stop it so the government may as well tax it and make a few quid to pay for the things the rest of society needs like schools and hospitals.

It will never happen! Not in my life time anyway so that will do me! Your on about making a few quid from tax yet how much would be spent on rehabilitation units across the country and then employ trained personel to run them? The day the government starts selling drugs is the day i would no longer want to be british! seriously have you not seen the effects these drugs have long term? And what they can turn people into? clean or not clean there still addictive and still ruin lives!

I have watched these threads with interest, and while it doesn't matter to me one way or the other, I do wonder why the people decrying legalisation so vociferously aren't making the same noises about banning alcohol?

Far more damaging physically than drugs, would be very surprised if it didn't cause more deaths per year, massive amounts of crime (often violent) associated with it.

So in a quick question - who the people would happily sign a petition to keep drugs illegal also sign one calling for criminalisation of alcohol?

Edited by 955i

Its because it ruins life's and is dangerous that people want it legalised (Off the streets, cleaner safer drugs, better rehab) . So telling somebody who supports legalisation that its a bad idea because they are harmful is a non argument as both sides agree to that.

so what you are saying is drugs are harmless and we should make them more available to people that haven't used before as well as those that do use?

Alcohol is not for me im not a drinker and have no desire to drink! So for me id welcome a ban! It wont effect my life, appart from the government taxing us more on income to compensate it loss of tax money! I think ur claim that drugs are less damaging it a slight exageration! Yes its dangerous and kills, but drugs and all the deseases that come with them out way ur claim in my opinion!

I have watched these threads with interest, and while it doesn't matter to me one way or the other, I do wonder why the people decrying legalisation so vociferously aren't making the same noises about banning alcohol?

Far more damaging physically than drugs, would be very surprised if it didn't cause more deaths per year, massive amounts of crime (often violent) associated with it.

So in a quick question - who the people would happily sign a petition to keep drugs illegal also sign one calling for criminalisation of alcohol?

The difference is that drink in moderation is safe, you know what is in it and trying a pint will not cause any harm unlike strong weed which put two daughters of a lady who used to work with my wife in full time care the first time they tried it

That's the difference.

The fact that some people are quoting fact's and statistic's on the downside's of drug's only serve to prove that the problem does exist (always has and always will). All of us decent honest tax payer's are already paying for it (always have and always will). Nobody is saying that if it is made legal we all have to rush out and have a go ! However given the current failing system, education, policing etc surely the most logical answer is to legalize and tax it creating billion's of revenue OR should we just carry on paying for the problem ourselves ?

It wouldn't all go legal though because it was taxed there would still be a blackmarket for them at untaxed rates, its hardly something that appeals to the kind of people who take drugs paying tax.

Theres a black market for just about everything these days which don't change the fact that WE are still paying for drug problem and all its associated problems.

Because for the simple fact we would be dealing with more of them if we are promoting use and saying its legal and safe. Tax, well as soon as its a sensible rate it will simply remain black market with no tax attached.

Fundamentally most of the tax received will be made by stealing things to pay for said drugs the whole idea is fundamentally flawed.