What to look at for a mid price clay gun

rich_morris

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If looking at the ultra XS go for the prestige as it handles better with the lighter chokes than the std,plus you get an adjustable comb,they are heavier than the Berettas,so the swing is less whippy on them,the 30" is a dream.

There isn't much between the 525 and 725 I think,maybe 525 a bit heavier in the swing,but 725 trigger pulls better than 525,XS triggers are sweet.

If looking at the ultra XS go for the prestige as it handles better with the lighter chokes than the std,plus you get an adjustable comb,they are heavier than the Berettas,so the swing is less whippy on them,the 30" is a dream.

There isn't much between the 525 and 725 I think,maybe 525 a bit heavier in the swing,but 725 trigger pulls better than 525,XS triggers are sweet.

The action on the 725 is a lot slimmer than the 525, almost Berettaesque

:shaun:

A slight deviation then - apart from 'it feels right' what technicaly defines how a gun fits properly.

It shoots where you point it?

Eye alignment centrally above the barrel.

Being able to see the rib/bead, but not too much?

I have just messed around practice mounting my existing 687. If I relax, and mount with my eyes closed, or not focusing on the gun, invariably end up not being able to see any of the rib or bead (maybe the top edge of the bead) - does this suggest my eye line is too low. The stock has 36mm/55mm drop which seems normal from what I can tell.

If I concentrate on my mounting it is normally not so bad - but maybe not natural - so that does not transfer to my shooting, where I focus on the clay.

Cheers

Rich

Is it me or does all purpose built clay weaponry look like like a cement mixer?

These days i'd buy a lovely looking game gun and hang the fact i's shoot less "birds" on a clay ground. Shooting black disc's is for practice isn't it?

The savings could be better spent on a few driven days?

Years ago I was talking to an aged club motorcycle racer. He raced a Moto Morini 3.5 ( ancient Italian V-Twin ). I asked why he raced it when a Yamaha 350LC was so much quicker. He said " You don't understand", and I didn't. Now I do. I think you would too.

A slight deviation then - apart from 'it feels right' what technicaly defines how a gun fits properly.

It shoots where you point it?

Eye alignment centrally above the barrel.

Being able to see the rib/bead, but not too much?

I have just messed around practice mounting my existing 687. If I relax, and mount with my eyes closed, or not focusing on the gun, invariably end up not being able to see any of the rib or bead (maybe the top edge of the bead) - does this suggest my eye line is too low. The stock has 36mm/55mm drop which seems normal from what I can tell.

If I concentrate on my mounting it is normally not so bad - but maybe not natural - so that does not transfer to my shooting, where I focus on the clay.

Cheers

Rich

Too low, jack it up.

Years ago I was talking to an aged club motorcycle racer. He raced a Moto Morini 3.5 ( ancient Italian V-Twin ). I asked why he raced it when a Yamaha 350LC was so much quicker. He said " You don't understand", and I didn't. Now I do. I think you would too.

Very good answer,

its because you can, and you enjoy it

:shaun:

Well,

After a few hours trying various guns, and having a good discussion with instructor, I finally made a choice.

I have gone for a Browning 725 Sporter with 32" barrels.

The instructor did confirm a few things for me. My old 687 was to low in the comb. Apparently new Berettas are higher in the comb than older ones like mine. He aslo pointed out a few things I nees to keep an eye on with by gun mounting/hold. Well woth the time spent with an instructor.

I am going back for another session soon.

Thanks all.

And to those concerned about my expensive tastes - I was under what I originally was contemplating spending! :)

Rich