.222 or 232?

wol the hunter

sorry he said 243

:good:

.222 is good for Fox and expensive rabbit control, .243 is good for Fox and Deer.

and even more expensive for rabbit control and doesn't really leave much you could eat :good:

I know that we have been here before but....

It depends on where you live and the attitude of your local police.

Cheshire will only give permission for 0.222/223 centrefires for foxes only - you cannot shoot rabbits with a 0.223 in Cheshire. Unless you are very lucky (?) you will not be able to get a 0.243 for foxes only in Cheshire.

However, I do know that in parts of Lancs you can get a pretty much open ticket for 0.222/223/243.

Don

Wol,

As to calibre choice it depends what you are planning to use it for really. You mention it is a 'replacement' for the .17HMR? Or have I grabbed the wrong end of the stick? :blush:

If you are limiting yourself to fox and below (currently) then most areas will allow fox + vermin on a .223. This offeres a wide variety of rifles in this cal and is relatively cheap to run.

If you are looking for a fox and deer suitable rifle (not red) then .243/6.5x55 would meet the task without a doubt. Unlikely you would get the nod for anything smaller than fox with that :good:

Paul

:blink: :blink:

.223 all the way. :good:

It makes sense. :blink: :lol:

Frank.

sorted.filling in my variation certificate now.radcliffes of colchester have offerd me a good price in part x up against a 223,so in about two weeks i will asking about what range do i zero a 223 in at.

thanks to all those who helped :blush:

i will asking about what range do i zero a 223 in at.

Normlly the range you expect to shoot most quarry at.

Good luck with the purchase, get some pictures up when you get it home :blush:

If you are looking for a fox and deer suitable rifle (not red) then .243/6.5x55 would meet the task without a doubt. Unlikely you would get the nod for anything smaller than fox with that :good:

Paul

I would dispute the (not red) comment about the 6.5x55, in fact later this month I will using mine against the Reds in Scotland :blink:

:thumbs: :lol:

.223 all the way. :D

It makes sense. :D:lol:

Frank.

sorted.filling in my variation certificate now.radcliffes of colchester have offerd me a good price in part x up against a 223,so in about two weeks i will asking about what range do i zero a 223 in at.

thanks to all those who helped :D

Good man. :good:

Best of luck with it, be sure to stick some pics up when you have your new toy. ???

As for zeroing, start at 50, see how you group, then move up to 100. If you are grouping 3 shots into an inch, your ready. be sure its an inch high at 100, this will give you a humane shot at a fox up to 250 yds. ???

Of caurse, try out as many different types of ammo as you can, till you find the one that likes your rifle. :thumbs:

Another tip, if you have a hunting barrel like i have, wait 2 miniutes between each shot, this gives it time to cool down a little and groups will be true.

Frank.