Just not able to hit a bird.

bob_cbr

I'm don't know what angle the birds are flying at but when I shoot flight lines I like to have them coming straight over my head, I used to struggle with these birds but figured it out one day and I can now hit them really well.

I like to get the bead on them as they are coming in overhead then quickly flick the gun up and pull the trigger, there is no way to explain how much lead to give them as they are blocked out by the barrel when I shoot, it's just a matter of pulling the trigger when you feel it's right

It's the same sort of idea for crossing birds, start behind them, swing the gun through and pull the trigger just as you can see a gap between the bird and the barrel but you MUST keep the gun moving at a constant speed untik well after you shoot. I know when I started I was lowering the gun to see if I hit or missed it as soon as I shot but got out of that habit and it improved my shooting greatly

the most important thing mate is to keep still

This I think has been a factor I need to improve from. When I see a pigeon in the distance I am popping up too early and following it with the barrel from miles out.

Try and get an true experienced person to spend a day with you.

Will try and find someone. Failing that I will make a video, and post it on this thread. They you guys can advise, laugh a mix of both.

It's punishment for the support of SW,

Supporting Sheffield Wednesday is punishment itself.

You could have a combination of problems leading to missed birds. I would suggest you check your range.

2 pigeons for dozens of shots

I think your correct, I bet these birds are much further away than I think. I need to estimate my distances better, but until then I will just measure a 30 yrd shoot zone and keep to birds within that.

I would love to hit 2 pigeons for a dozen shots. I think I'm at 150 for 2 birds, 1.333% accuracy.

It's very easy to over estimate a pigeons range, mark out 30 yards and shoot everything within.

This is my number one thing to do, I just hope the bird fly within this area. I think this will make a big difference.

try a tighter chokes 1/2

I have indeed installed my 1/2 choke into the gun.

I'm don't know what angle the birds are flying at

It's the same sort of idea for crossing birds, start behind them, swing the gun through and pull the trigger

I know when I started I was lowering the gun to see if I hit or missed

field.jpg

I agree not following through was something I was not doing, but it is something I have in the front of my mind when pulling the trigger. I shall shoot like I play snooker.

post-61493-0-96807500-1355820756_thumb.jpg

Hi Bob

Sounds more like a gun fit problem and lack of a consistant gun mount . Try practicing mounting the gun at home in front of a mirror to see if you do it the same each time,and make sure you do it with your coat on that you use for shooting.Adjust your grip on the gun till you get the right eye alinement and then just keep practicing

Best of luck and I hope this helps a little.

Dully1963 :good:

Edited by dully1963

My advice would be don't just concentrate on you aim/lead you should also pay a lot of attention to other aspects of decoying ie decoy pattern,your hide, keeping absolutely still,wind direction etc.

Having one field to shoot also doesn't help as you can't up sticks and move so if it isn't happening in your field you are stuffed.

Keep at it mate and you'll learn as you go.

Normally our hide and decoy pattern is very good as we have been using air rifles for many years. In the summer it is fantastic to see pigeon after pigeon landing in your designated kill zone!!!

However, we have never decoyed in winter. Have lots of land to shoot, but this particular field just so happens to be on a very very busy flight line.

Next week we are trying a different place which we believe might be better for decoying, slowing them birds down and bringing them closer. I think then the hit count should rise.

Hi Bob,

First thing I would do is change your choke, I'd put half choke in and then leave it in. I use fiocchi 32g pigeon. They are a good fast load, I can get an average of about a 75% hit rate whereas with eley pigeon 30 gram 6 1/2 shot would only give me a 40% hit rate.

Now this might sound a bit stupid but next time you go out take a stick that is exactly 5 inch long, when you see a pigeon hold the stick up at arms length in your line of vision as you look at the bird. If the stick appears longer than the pigeons body then it's to far. You can use this to get used to what size a pigeon should look when it is flighting past you.

Also you can look for the wad of the cartridge and this should indicate to you whereabouts are you are shooting.

ATB,

Lee

Edited by lee-kinsman

My advice would be to get out and get shooting as at the start I was only getting 2-3 birds and with experience you will gain a better ratio. Remember its about enjoying yourself so get out there and shoot and your ratio will go up.

Good gun fit will help, stick to a 1/4 choke and decoy them in close (kill zone 25-30 yards) and when you improve take shots at longer birds. Most ratio problems is down to taking silly awkward shots

keep completely still in the hide when a bird approaches and don't rush yourself when getting up to shoot.

Pm me your address and I'll send you a dvd or two that will help with your decoying etc.

Edited by Mr Rizzini

If you are only getting 2 in 150 shots chances are you are just shooting at birds that are two far away or more likely the gun just does not fit you correctly , if the fit / range was ok I think you would have fluked more than 2 !

I get upset if I shoot worse than 2/1 , I think I would be off looking for a rope if I was 75/1.

With regards to decoying the birds you will always be up against it if they dont want to feed on the field you are shooting , even more so this time of year.

Just done the 5" stick at arms length; if you waiting for them to get that close a golf cub might be a good shout, never mind worrying about choke and shell!

ha ha so did i ed,the things would only be 8ft away,,dont shoot them at that range there will be nothing left of em,just sit still in ya hide and wait,pace 30yrds and dont try to shoot em until in that range,you WILL hit more defo

5inch stick :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I've found it quite amusing that you've given it a go, a wood pigeon is only 12inch from beak to tail. Work was quite slow today and there wasn't any mugs I could send for tartan paint so this had to do.

ATB,

Lee

aye aye thats old chesnut lol come on mate who taught you it and bet you have been doing it the last 20 years lol :good:

lets be honest lee you where talking serious, then when it was ruled that what you where talking was total utter tosh you then decided to back track and say you where joking,

well you can get tartan paint cos i,ve used it ya muppet, the front of my house is painted in tartan because i support wales

Wow - so many good responses. Right I normally go out on Saturday, but the weather man has predicted poor weather for the weekend. So I will put everything that you have suggested into practise the first dry day we get. I will even take the old camera out, take some Pic / Video. The good news is that there is not much scope for me to get worse. If I hit 1 in 10, I'll be over the moon.

Watch this space!!!!

Wow - so many good responses. Right I normally go out on Saturday, but the weather man has predicted poor weather for the weekend. So I will put everything that you have suggested into practise the first dry day we get. I will even take the old camera out, take some Pic / Video. The good news is that there is not much scope for me to get worse. If I hit 1 in 10, I'll be over the moon.

Watch this space!!!!

Is there nowhere you can practice on a high tower first? I really don't think there is much point going out again until you can trim up a few driven birds from a tower or something similar.In fact, any practice at a clay ground would be of benefit. Have a few rounds of skeet. If you can't hit 15+, you definately need to work on your technique - i would recommend leaving the pigeons alone until you can.

Edited by motty