.17 Hornet

tikka.223

I have been using a 17 Ackley Hornet for about 30 months. I carry it every day from January to July on my trap round.

Its a first class crow and magpie (+ rabbit) round out to about 150 yards, best in a lightweight walking rifle. I have tried to shoot foxes with it out to 150 yards, the first 2 dropped and were dead by the time I got another round in ( It a single shot CZ527 conversion), the third I failed to pick. Hit front on at about 100 yards using a 20gr Vmax. I am about to rechamber to 17HH to make it feed better, will also have it re throated to suit 25gr Hornady HPs which I am told are good performers on fox.

So in short the 20gr are fine for smaller vermin but use 25s on foxes. As a dedicated fox rifle go for a 20 or 22, they have far more clout.

A

I have been using a 17 Ackley Hornet for about 30 months. I carry it every day from January to July on my trap round.

Its a first class crow and magpie (+ rabbit) round out to about 150 yards, best in a lightweight walking rifle. I have tried to shoot foxes with it out to 150 yards, the first 2 dropped and were dead by the time I got another round in ( It a single shot CZ527 conversion), the third I failed to pick. Hit front on at about 100 yards using a 20gr Vmax. I am about to rechamber to 17HH to make it feed better, will also have it re throated to suit 25gr Hornady HPs which I am told are good performers on fox.

So in short the 20gr are fine for smaller vermin but use 25s on foxes. As a dedicated fox rifle go for a 20 or 22, they have far more clout.

A

Your findings balance with my assumptions. Seems to be more of a gun for the woodchucks

I have one on my ticket and have seen and tried the Savage which is very 'plastic' for £600 +scope and mod and etc.

CZ is certainly preferable and as a single carry I think it will suit me fine - dont see that many secondhand and a few would have popped up by now if the calibre was ****, surely/

Lots of hype but really it looks to be as popular as a standard hornet, not enough gun for proper foxing and too much for a proper rabbiting gun. As we don't have anything size wise in between in the uk it's only for people that like playing with new calibers. After all even for long range corvids by the time you reload there are lots of guns more suitable for foxing you can use at range just as cheaply

Lots of hype but really it looks to be as popular as a standard hornet, not enough gun for proper foxing and too much for a proper rabbiting gun. As we don't have anything size wise in between in the uk it's only for people that like playing with new calibers. After all even for long range corvids by the time you reload there are lots of guns more suitable for foxing you can use at range just as cheaply

That was sort of my thinking at very the first mention of this calibre!

It's early days and still not that many about, but I urged caution when others were having an orgasm at the mere thought of this calibre!

Who knows, what is the view in America about these, I can't say I've heard much from that side of the pond? :hmm:

:good: