ettiquitte help please

Dave-G

A pigeon shooting aquaintance is suffering the current lack of flight line activity. This guy "put me onto" a 3000 acre permission for rabbit control. I have offerred to take him rabbiting and lamping till pigeon picks up again using my guns as he only use's shotties. I am due to get a 17HMR slot in a week or so and perceive an occasional 120 yard + ground feeding pigeon/crow/magpie shot while were out and about. I'm thinking He's also open for getting an FAC.

Given that a flighting bird would normally be taken 'close too', what would be the right thing to do for a long shot deep into a field that would probably see more crop damage done in its retreival than worthwhile, not to mention the amount of mud we'd pick up on bare soil?

I'm guessing the occasional lone bird would be better left to birds of prey, fox, insects etc?

.... The other things are, are these allowed on your certificate and is your friend allowed to use your rifle on your permission??

I'm not sure about your first question henry, I am on my permissions for vermin control, and which type of land, grazing or crop, dictates what I shoot.

All of my permissions specify I may be accompanied, And this may take place on one of them - or his pigeon permission which apparently has rabbit - assuming it has been cleared for firearms use, which I won't know about till the day before we shoot.

I believe it is in order for me to allow a non FAC holder to shoot my gun in my presence? I understand an FEO will prefer us to have some sort of shooting experience when we apply for FAC or another calibre? which brings me to another point, prompted by your last question:

Should I admit I have shot a 17HMR when I meet my Head of firearms dept this week?

Hmm - I know curiosity killed the cat

Anyone seen a cat? ???

Anyway - do I admit to firing a 17HMR if it's not on my ticket, please someone?

There's no reason why not if you were acompanied by the license holder and either his license was open or the ground was cleared for its use.

The FO is looking for signs of experience and safe thinking. He is probably also looking for signs that you understand the law surrounding its use before you get a license and not expecting to acquire it afterwards.

So, if it comes up, tell him.

AIMO

Anyone seen a cat? ???

It takes a lot less to kill a cat than curiousity Dave. Cars are a good example.

LB

Anyone seen a cat? :good:

My lips are sealed but I will tell you not to walk into a field of ready to harvest Linseed.

Nuf said.

LB

Methinks in other words your man did it and that's where he got those cauli ears from . The farmer

gave him a slap.

:good::):lol:

Dave K

ive shot over grass used for haylage and try and pick up as much as i shoot. not allot :lol:

when it gets too high to find i dont bother shooting over those fields

Dave -- "Should I admit I have shot a 17HMR when I meet my Head of firearms dept this week"?

when i got my visit last year for the application for FAC i was asked what experience i had with fire arms,

I thought ah! e's trying to catch me out here, i knew that if i gave the incorrect answer ide blow it. As at the time i thought that using a fire arm before having a ticket was an offence. So how was i to get out of this corner, well i said that ide been out with a mate and watched him. :good:

Mr FLO picked up the bone china cup dwarfed by his 6ft6in and 3ft wide stature and took another sipp from his cup of tea which i served him in my best bone china with i must add a saucer, his little finger pointing outwards directly at me as he sipped, his eyes glared at me over the top of the cup :lol: . he took the cup away from his lips and spoke in a soft but stern kind of way. "all i'm after here he said is a bit of honesty"

I looked at him and smiled as i offered him another fairy cake.

I am not 100% sure till this day wether it was my best bone china or the fairy cakes that got me through that interview. :)

But there again it could have been that i was being honest.

Thanks so far guys. :good:

I seem to recall seeing somewhere that it's acceptable for a non fac'r, or someone without a given slot to use someones firearm when with them on a permission that is cleared for that calibre.

So not only could I try somone else's (larger/faster) calibre, I could allow a non FAC companion to shoot my gun where I have permission to shoot while accompanied? Am I mistaken?

Maybe I'm asking the question the wrong way? :)

As said before, just be honest dont try and be someone your not. All the chap is doing is trying to see in his own experienced if your sensible enough to own a firearm. Just be yourself, you dont need to know the bullet coeficiant and velocity impact and god knows what about bullets and all that. Dont put too much BS in your bonce or you will look a rite ****.

you want a fire arm and its your write to own one unless YOU give reason to the FLO not to own one.

If your in the BASC the give them a call or send an "E" mail for £1 a week there worth every penny for the help and information

Stop panicking and do it/

For anyone interested, I just found this while looking for something else:

Section 16(1) of the Firearms Act 1968 (as amended) allows a person to borrow a firearm from the occupier of private premises and use it in the presence of either the occupier or their servant without holding a firearm certificate in respect of the rifle.

As I understand it, an authorised shooter is regarded in the same way as an occupier for this purpose?

It came from here:

http://www.leics.police.uk/departments/10_...sked_questions/