Cut throat razors?

haggis

Cheers for advice I have gone for a Edwin Jagger DE89 with badger/hogs hair brush,as advised Taylor's cream and a bar of alum. Also got some different blades to try out. Think Id need alot more time, money and patience for a cut throat razor.

DIBS- Im sure you find it amusing when I turn up with cuts everywhere.

Top razor and English too!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers for advice I have gone for a Edwin Jagger DE89 with badger/hogs hair brush,as advised Taylor's cream and a bar of alum. Also got some different blades to try out. Think Id need alot more time, money and patience for a cut throat razor.

DIBS- Im sure you find it amusing when I turn up with cuts everywhere.

If you have a beard I will know its all gone horribly wrong. Please don't turn up with plasters or pink toilet paper everywhere as now I'm in A class I'm taking it seriously and I don't want to be peeing myself in the stand! :)

In all seriousness will be interested how you get on as fancied a safety razor myself for a while. If your ears are still on I might have a look myself.

I found the feather blades a bit of a revelation.

My top tip us to instal a mirror, a plastic shelf and to shave in the shower (under heat and steam) - it makes it all very easy.

EDIT

I'd be interested to know how often people change their double edged safety razor blades - I change mine every other day or every 3 days only because I think I spent £25 odd at the shaving shack and got a hundred blades and that will last a year (with no shaving at the weekends).

What does £25 get you with Mach3 cartridges? 5 or 6 maybe....

Edited by Mungler

If you have a beard I will know its all gone horribly wrong. Please don't turn up with plasters or pink toilet paper everywhere as now I'm in A class I'm taking it seriously and I don't want to be peeing myself in the stand! :)

In all seriousness will be interested how you get on as fancied a safety razor myself for a while. If your ears are still on I might have a look myself.

My estimated delivery is monday 7th so I wont be putting you off this time,you'l have to use the new gun excuse instead! I'm not that serious in B!!

Edited by haggis

Has anyone tried this set?

0B5DFFA7-62FE-4716-AD43-F8BAC7032E6F-19392-00001B2C8AA58349.jpg

I bought it off the auction site just to try the whole cut throat shave thing but don't know how good they are - it was only around £20 so I don't expect too much but razor blades are either sharp or not I guess!

I have extremely course stubble and spend a small fortune on Gillette fusion blades which last about 3 shaves before they start plucking so hopefully this could be a more efficient alternative.

Funny that Mungler mentioned shaving in the shower as that's what I have done for years for the simple reason it softens your stubble and face, I do wonder how the cut throat type shave would be in the shower - guess I could use it for my balls if all else fails :yp:

Regards,

Gixer

Edited by gixer1

I found the feather blades a bit of a revelation.

My top tip us to instal a mirror, a plastic shelf and to shave in the shower (under heat and steam) - it makes it all very easy.

EDIT

I'd be interested to know how often people change their double edged safety razor blades - I change mine every other day or every 3 days only because I think I spent £25 odd at the shaving shack and got a hundred blades and that will last a year (with no shaving at the weekends).

What does £25 get you with Mach3 cartridges? 5 or 6 maybe....

Only been at this for a week so I'm no expert. Feather blades were all I had to start with, so I was a bit cautious, but I've found they're fine. I have since received a sample pack of other brands to try. Today was my fourth shave with the same Feather blade and I could feel it dragging a bit. I think I'll start slinging them after 3 goes, as you say it's not like they're dear. I've loaded up a Supermax stainless to try tomorrow. I've also got the following to try: Astra superior platinum; Merkur super; Wilkinson Sword; Gillette 7 o'clock yellow; Dorco; Derby.

This DE business is a revelation. Loving the whole ritual and 'me time' of it :good:

The whole cut throat thing is just one step too far into the past and flying in the face of the science of progress for me.

Just don't hurt yourself or leave it lying around where the kids might want to 'try' it

You are correct on the leaving it about bit Mungler, and probably the progress thing too! It'll probably get slung in the bin if its a bit too vicious but I figured it was worth a go as you hear people raving on about how great their face feels after a proper cut throat shave....

If all else fails I'll use it for roughing out mrs gixer's welcome mat... :lol:

Regards,

Gixer

Edited by gixer1

SuperMax were recommended by my barber, he was less keen on the Wilkinson sword so I have a bunch of those to try. The Derby blades are what I'm using at present.

I'll give the feather blades a try since so many of you seem to use them without a problem. Initially I've been a bit disinclined to try them.

I bought it off the auction site just to try the whole cut throat shave thing but don't know how good they are - it was only around £20 so I don't expect too much but razor blades are either sharp or not I guess!

I have extremely course stubble and spend a small fortune on Gillette fusion blades which last about 3 shaves before they start plucking so hopefully this could be a more efficient alternative.

Funny that Mungler mentioned shaving in the shower as that's what I have done for years for the simple reason it softens your stubble and face, I do wonder how the cut throat type shave would be in the shower - guess I could use it for my balls if all else fails :yp:

Regards,

Gixer

Give it a go on your cheeks first and watch some you tube vids first, I got on with using a shavette straight away but mine uses Miraki long de blades you snap in two bit more forgiving.

Figgy

after buying the DE I started shaving every day, new thing and all that, now back to every other day, the last set of blades i bought will do 3 shaves before starting to pull and I've ordered 100 feather edge so will have to see how they go, cost wise blades and cream i reckon about 24p a week .......... wish I'd know years ago

themissus has now taken to using my DE too .............. lady shaving disposables aren't cheap either, so another saving to be had

themissus has now taken to using my DE too .............. lady shaving disposables aren't cheap either, so another saving to be had

Sod that for a game of soldiers! One of the reasons I started DE shaving was to stop my Mach 3 blade feeling like the edge of a brick, or as if someone had been planing the bottom of a door with it when she'd used it on her legs.

Sod that for a game of soldiers! One of the reasons I started DE shaving was to stop my Mach 3 blade feeling like the edge of a brick, or as if someone had been planing the bottom of a door with it when she'd used it on her legs.

yeah shes been using it on her legs too, still blades are cheep

Same here Blunderbuss my missus is too scared to use my De razor on her bits.

I am glad as she don't take her time when shaving and has nicks all over even using wilkinson sword safety four blade razors.

If she used mine she would probs circumcise herself ouch.

Figgy

It's strange really. I started off shaving with a DE razor then moved to the Mach3/Azor style blades. Now, after many years, I've moved back to DE shaving after _finally_ having enough of the multi-blade cartridges irritating my face.

I'm only using a cheap Boots razor and blades to see if I get on with it, but it's already a far better shave than the Azor I was using. I might have to treat myself to a Merkur later in the year though.

...Funny that Mungler mentioned shaving in the shower as that's what I have done for years for the simple reason it softens your stubble and face, I do wonder how the cut throat type shave would be in the shower...

Really...soapy wet shower, cut throat razor, I repeat cut-throat.

Been nice knowing you....

Regards,

Gixer

Only thing I will stress is TAKE YOUR TIME.

First time out I went at it a bit to enthusiastically and ended up looking like i'd been through a car windscreen.

Now when I take my time I get a better shave.