Claws

welshwarrior

When i was a young man many years ago...lol a chap in our village ran lurcher's. one of his dogs always had unnatural looking brown socks.

I asked him what it was and he told me the dog suffered from soft pads so he dipped them in potassium permanganate.

I used this a good few times over the years working with Hounds and it does work.

put a tea spoon full of potassium permanganate in a jam jar and pour hot water on them, when its cool dip your dogs feet in ever day.

works on cut pads and helps harden feet

Don't do it in the house as it stains like hell.

Edited by Actionpigeons

When i was a young man many years ago...lol a chap in our village ran lurcher's. one of his dogs always had unnatural looking brown socks.

I asked him what it was and he told me the dog suffered from soft pads so he dipped them in potassium permanganate.

I used this a good few times over the years working with Hounds and it does work.

put a tea spoon full of potassium permanganate in a jam jar and pour hot water on them, when its cool dip your dogs feet in ever day.

works on cut pads and helps harden feet

Don't do it in the house as it stains like hell.

Ballet dancers use surgical sprit to harden their feet up

Ok so during every season so far my lab splits a claw found a small stone in it this time.

Is there anyway I can toughen up his claws so it is less likely to happen again.

I've heard mention of cod liver oil but thought that was just joints.

Come on PW help me out.

Is it a fungal nail infection, I have seen this spoken about on the TV adverts (normally when I am eating lunch)

if it's the same claw each time get the vet to take it off. It's a knock out job as they bleed a lot & it has to be quarterised, shouldn't be too pricey though. One of mine cracked a claw last winter & I had it taken off straight away having messed about with a previous breakage that eventually i had taken off as it wouldn't fix, I had her back out working within a couple of weeks.

How long was the nail at the time? You can reduce the chances of splitting by keeping them well trimmed and plenty of road work to keep them short. Mine has a split due claw and that is growing out, fortunately it's not caused any issues but that was when it got slightly too long

I keep them short but yes it's more noticeable since he has done less road work (last 2 years) they grow out just take time and its shooting time now want him in the field with me.

Looks good but which product is best will hoof oil work on dogs

Cornucrescine is only one product. It's black greasy stuff that comes in a tin :) awesome stuff and also works on humans!

Cornucrescine is only one product. It's black greasy stuff that comes in a tin :) awesome stuff and also works on humans!

I've found 5 products made by Cornucrescine have I got the wrong stuff http://www.atlantic-equine.co.uk/cornucrescine-products

I think i know what you mean granddad used to put it on the working horses like a black tar paint?