FAC?

JimLondon

Thanks for the advice had my SGC for 20yrs, I did ask a gun dealer about FAC and he said it takes about 6 years to get it as I'd have to be a member of a club for a certain amount of time , then further checks ie inspection of land I'd shoot on etc.

Thanks again

Jim

It takes nothing like 6 years to get unless you meant months? its just like applying for the shotgun and if you have land then you don't need to be a member of a club to show a need for a firearm.

Apply...have interview ... get Fac .. Simples

Edited by Peskyfoxs

Sounds like a great chance to get your FAC and calling in foxes close for the shotgun. I would say any calibre rimfire or centre would take a fox if in the right hands but if you apply for FAC specifically for fox then it depends where you live they may have a minimum calibre for fox so would be worth doing a bit of digging before hand.

I have .17 hmr, .223 and .243 and find that they all work as well but the .243 is set mainly for deer and with 100 grain heads they are not great as overpenetrate but this is just what I have found out.

I have to say the .17 is probably my favorite at the moment for vermin as out to 100 yrds it is so flat it is almost cheating really, only downside is it is a little loud but I do not seem to find this upsets the animals as much as I thought it would.

Thanks for the advice had my SGC for 20yrs, I did ask a gun dealer about FAC and he said it takes about 6 years to get it as I'd have to be a member of a club for a certain amount of time , then further checks ie inspection of land I'd shoot on etc.

Thanks again

Jim

He's wrong.

You don't need to be a member of a club and it takes as long as the police need to issue a certificate - similar to when they renew your SGC.

You need apply for your FAC for a suitable foxing rifle, and perhaps another caliber for whatever other pests (rabbits?) you've been asked to control.

Give details of what you will shoot with each gun, and on what land (including something from the farmer stating you have permission to shoot these things on his land), find two referees to sign it and stick it in the post.

You need a separate place to lock up the rifle ammo as it has to be secured, and not with the rifles. You should be able to use your shotgun cabinet for the rifle(s) if they'll fit in.

The only other way is to stick with the shotgun, which can be effective on foxes. If you need anything for longer ranges though, you need to go the FAC route, there is not a half way measure.

If you go for a FAC you may be required to have another shooter supervise you when using your rifle, this usually expires after a few months.