Bangers

Anthony

The price of the string bangers has increased quite a bit, over the last few years.

I don,t use them so much because of that.

On big fields, I use fertilizer bags on sticks.

I have even tied white polythene bags on the arms of my rotary device and put it at the other end of the field, that was very effective. :lol:

Anthony, have used bangers to good effect but as the farmer gives them to us the cost is not a problem. Think he said they were £30+ a box and that was a couple of years ago.

As Cranfield says, bags on sticks can be just as effective, anything to put them off landing in the wrong part of the field.

The bangers are good fun next week though on Nov 5th and i compete with the best in my garden. :lol::lol:

You can also use balloons tied to sticks to drive the birds on,pink ones especially are good,this is not my idea but a tip that John Darling uses.

Also to get the wind direction/drift that can change in certain areas of hollows and copses a childs bubble blowing kit is usefull,the bubbles drift down in the wind showing you which way it can change in small difficult areas,this may be more usefull for stalking bunnies or Roe deer.

hth.

clanchief

Better still ... You know when you jump in the car start the engine , and the missus cd springs into action and there is some horrible music playing at you...Well take all her cd's put each one on a bit of string and hang em from poles .... easy two birds with one stone . Hopefully all the **** from the field will stop em playing , and the pigeons are scared to death of em .

all the best yis yp :lol:

• 5 months later...

I have used the Portek ropes which Will B suggested and they are very effective.

I also have 2 homemade Harris Hawk decoys which are even more effective.

I made them for my alottment to keep the pigeon away from shooting peas and cabbage plants and they work brilliantly They were carved from a solid block of Polystyrene and painted with celulose free paints.

I will take a photo of them this weekend and post it on the site.

Old CD,s suspended on sticks work well in brighter conditions, Once a friend who shall remain nameless used a blow up rubber doll filled with Helium but the local bobby was alerted and didnt see the funny side of this! :lol:

I often shoot myself

Anthony, I can see that you have a bit of a dilemma but I think that firing a cartridge at yourself is a bit drastic just to frighten a few birds.....

:lol::P :thumbs:

Never tried bangers but I have found that a standard Tesco bag etc tied by the handles on a stick, that's then pushed into the ground is very effective as well as cheap, as others here have also suggested.

High_gun