Caesar Guerini sponsors Richard Faulds

southrop

I owned and used a 32" Summit sporter a little over a year ago, I know quite a lot about them now and I am also a precision engineer, a Toolmaker in fact, for too many years I have been making plastic injection moulding tools which require a level complexity and precision beyond shotgun actions. I programmed and operated CNC machines of all sorts, EDM's included. I can tell you now that the only thing that impressed me about the Summit was that the designers have got the angle between the top rib and the axis of the top barrel (which was heat distorted at the joining rib inside) exactly right and, for the sporter at least, the angle between the barrels almost perfect. The rest of the engineering is no better or no worse than most of the low to medium priced guns. The durability of the finish on the stock of my Summit was poor and went dull at the top, do a Google search on the subject!!! The cheeks of the monoblock are nicely jewelled, we are told to sustain lubrication and provide a longevity. I have found that there is half a millimetre of clearance for most the cheeks. That is not a bearing surface, yet my action was very tight so what was causing the tightness? It was between the fore-iron and the knuckle, after a relatively low amount of use it showed signs of picking up (seizing and tearing at the knuckle) I used the best quality grease I could obtain just to prevent further damage. I could get no support worth talking about and moved the gun on (at may I say a huge loss) and went back to a Berreta. This is my own personal experience and may not relflect that of others so please don't hang me out to dry in as cyber sense at least.

this thread is well off the original topic and getting dull as dogs8t :shoot:

i hope geurini's gunsmiths ready. I bought a essex sporter 32" 20 bore, forend split after three thousand shots, packed up once would not fire,gunsmith put it right. after ten thousand shells loose floppy an when i traded it lost loads more than a browning or a beretta would. it shot really well though and the best 20 to shoot with i have had. but there really are just run of the mill italian guns with fabarm parts. would not buy another. browning should start making a 32" 20 bore sporter then i might have another look. great for pheasent shooting though that geurini was though.

Edited by Ears

The Wiliam Evans guns are Guerinis, evidence that you really can't 'polish a ****!'

It may perhaps be relevant that the original, late Victorian, William Evans was trained at Purdey's, broke away on his own, initially advertised his guns as 'W. Evans from Purdey's' (much to the impotent fury of Purdey's), and then, not too long after, simply bought in guns from the (then) newly formed Webley and Scott (the clue is in the Webley patent double screw on the top lever), and sold them with his own name on them - at some point dropping the 'from Purdey's' suffix. Not that a Webley and Scott of that vintage, under whatever name, is what I would call a '****!' exactly!

The guns when first came on the scene looked great value with nice engraving and better wood than rivals for less money.

But now the prices have got to same as rival Berettas and Brownings don't think it's such good value with more depreciation.

Have had a go with a couple and Kdubyas Summit impact sporter shoots well,he loves it and shoots well with it but I don't like the twang from the dampers in the stock, would get used to it like with a semi recycling the action.

Time will tell if they are well made.

Figgy

• 2 weeks later...

Went to owls lodge this week with my son. Richard was using his new guerini nice gun. There were a choice of six to choose from you only have to ask. They were very helpful. Richard soon had my son smashing clays with one a great time we had and I'm sure Richards new sponsers will be really happy with his 99x100 first reg outing

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,These guns are fabulous! I shoot between 800 and 1000 cartridges a month with my beloved 12g. Essex sporter. It's never let me down. It feels fantastic to hold and swings through beautifully. It also has looks that would stop traffic. I had an issue with a cracked stock 6 years ago. I contacted Mike Mansfield at Guerini U.K. not only did he arrange the repair my original stock faultlessly, and at no cost to me.they also gave me a second matching stock and fore end as an apology for any inconvenience caused. Try getting that level of service from the Beretta or Browning boys.

Edited by stuartyork