COUPLE DAYS LEFT FOR WILDFOWLING ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN DO A DAY SOME

madhunter

Just be aware that if someone does offer to take you out there may be no geese about.

I paid £50 for a flight a couple of weeks ago near Harewood house and never saw a goose.

To say i was disappointed it putting it lightly.

It was the first time i had been on a goose flight and felt let down.

I felt as though i had been put in a field and been charged just to stand there.

I think the place had been shot too often and the geese had gone.

So be wary but good luck to you.

Sorry to hear you were out of luck & felt out pocket but tell me did you see any geese any where on the morning flight ? was it a flat calm day ? did the guide you were with do any recon ? . If you saw no geese or heard no geese any where then maybe the guide is suspect !!! & it dose happen !.

Up here in Orkney we have very high numbers of geese but on the times I have guided guns now & then I always explain to them I am not God & only God knows where they will go on every flight ! & thats the truth of it ! . Geese have wings & that means they can go where ever they like at dawn & that is that !! .

If you have seen geese when out with a guide but they are just not coming as you thought they would then that's just how it goes as hard as that sounds .

I think my days as doing a bit of guiding are over due to a number of old serious leg injuries but I never sent chaps south with out a bird even though some times we did have a blank flight but as every one with a decent brain will tell you ....... " The bloody things are not RADIO CONTROLLED !!! ".

Try a driven duck shoot & see how you like that ! I did it once & never never never again ! .

AS for the Madhunter I think you should just tread a little carefully & you might find what you want .

Pole Star

Edited by Pole Star

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear you were out of luck & felt out pocket but tell me did you see any geese any where on the morning flight ? was it a flat calm day ? did the guide you were with do any recon ? . If you saw no geese or heard no geese any where then maybe the guide is suspect !!! & it dose happen !.

Pole Star

It was a calm day.Never saw any geese on the morning flight.The guide said the geese had been in the field for three days feeding and that he had only walked them off the night before.Did hear a couple of geese about an hour after we packed up.But never saw or heard them in any numbers.

It was a calm day.Never saw any geese on the morning flight.The guide said the geese had been in the field for three days feeding and that he had only walked them off the night before.Did hear a couple of geese about an hour after we packed up.But never saw or heard them in any numbers.

i know the area well because i shoot it with my buds Leslie and gregster their are normally plenty of geese about to be fair but you have to be in the right flighting areas ,what i cannot understand is why the so called guide would disturb the geese walking them off before taking 4 clients to the area? yes their are no gaurrantee s they will come but why charge 4 lads £50 each when they saw nothing ? then stick them in some woods to shoot pheasant which they saw none either.

a charge off a tenner would have been fair i think.

morning and evening flights, thats phil!!!!!

20121025084953.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

20121101185730.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Well done fella on your quest to shoot some flighting geese :good:

There are no official guides where I shoot and the ones I choose to help are those who I have either assisted in joining the club and those who have asked me if I would be willing to help...in the correct manner. I do this for nothing, in fact it costs me a full English breakfast if they catch me in a good mood. But we are talking about wildfowling now and not inland shooting.

Edited by ayano3

You should have checked the field for goose droppings at the time and if absent confronted the guid at the time

Also how do you find out who these so guides are ?

Any body its seems can take folk s out on to their permission and charge , I wonder wether the farmer know s they are charging? And the tax man ?

Do a bit of home work for next year mate there are guides with in this site have a good read through the wild fowling posts & you will see name mentioned here & there . A good guide works hard to get his clients a bird & he will always have a dog & only carry a gun as a cripple stopper( if its needed ) not to enjoy a bit himself unless its ok with the client .

As for tax well its up to every one to do their tax return !.

As for madhunter you have been given some good advice from some members on here so sit down & have a think & change your approach & try again next year .

ATB Pole Star

ps as squirrelhall says pigeonblasting you should have checked the field & if there had been geese there feeding for two or three days as he claimed then the truth will have been obvious !

Edited by Pole Star

sounds like the guy took your 50 squid and took you to a random feild mate, this is the problem these days, you have to be careful, there are a lot of people around with this nature, they will either take your money for nothing, or they are just keyboard wildfowlers!!!!(those who sit by a pc not really doing any wildfowling at all)

Edited by madhunter

Do a bit of home work for next year mate there are guides with in this site have a good read through the wild fowling posts & you will see name mentioned here & there . A good guide works hard to get his clients a bird & he will always have a dog & only carry a gun as a cripple stopper( if its needed ) not to enjoy a bit himself unless its ok with the client .

As for tax well its up to every one to do their tax return !.

As for madhunter you have been given some good advice from some members on here so sit down & have a think & change your approach & try again next year .

ATB Pole Star

ps as squirrelhall says pigeonblasting you should have checked the field & if there had been geese there feeding for two or three days as he claimed then the truth will have been obvious !

In hindsight may be he should have checked the field , but when you put your trust in a so called guide who hangs out on this forum who reckons he is a professional keeper, you expect to be treated right :good: cowboys do not do Tax returns either their should be a professional guides list for people to consult it would cut these fly boys out.

they will either take your money for nothing,

or they are just keyboard wildfowlers!!!!

(those who sit by a pc not really doing any wildfowling at all)

That's me - A keyboard widfowler!

Yesterday I got up at 0500hrs to have the Memsahib at local hospital for her cancer treatment at 0730.

Got back home with her at 1100. Got lunch for her and me. Ensured her mate was coming to be with her for the afternoon.

Threw flask and cartridges in the bag and grabbed Merlyn, my dog.

Drove to my syndicate marsh which we rent from Natural England.

Sat 'till after dark in a raging gale and fired one shot - at a crow which I missed!

Ducks were few and very far away from me and no geese what-so-ever.

Drove home, tucked Memsahib up in bed, got my supper, walked our three other dogs.

Set alarm for 0500 hrs today so I could do the whole thing all over again - except the 'fowling.

And collapsed into my pit at 2200hrs.

All because I wanted one more visit to 'my' marsh because we may not get the licence renewed again after this season.

Now I have a problem. Should I sue Natural England who own the marsh? (They sold us the wildfowling licence).

Should I take out an injunction against my mate who assured me the place was crawling with ducks?

Or should I thank my lucky stars that my lovely missus nagged me to get out on my beloved marsh, albeit for just an afternoon, before the season finished.

My visits to any marsh have been few this season so I think I will stick with the latter.

If you are a true fowler then the bag is totally irrelevant to the enjoyment. I watched a harrier hunting, a sparrowhawk and a crow having a punch-up, and thousands and thousands of assorted gulls beating inland at low level to avoid the tempest at sea.

And - I very much enjoyed the company of Merlyn whilst I thought through my current load of problems and decided that, with a bit of luck, there was nothing that me and The Memsabib can't face whilst we have each other.

Fowler - Yes I believe I am - well I've been practicing for over 50 years...

Duck or goose shooter? No I don't think so.

Glad you found the time for a flight Alf, leaving the cats alone this season??Lol. Some people will never get it fella, I had a red letter flight this morn, stopped at 7 duck and just ,marvelled at the suituation I found myself in whilst most people were still in their beds.

Glad you found the time for a flight Alf, leaving the cats alone this season??Lol. Some people will never get it fella, I had a red letter flight this morn, stopped at 7 duck and just ,marvelled at the suituation I found myself in whilst most people were still in their beds.

Terry - Glad you got a good flight.

The names Ben - The Grandalf is on account of the long white beard and bald head!

All fowling trips are marvellous.

I only go 'out of bag' cat shooting in Nova Scotia - The local specimens are not worth the effort and expense.

Edited by Grandalf

Ohhh Dear...its that what the future holds for me? ???

I guess I need a better and bigger alarm clock then, not forgetting the green rubbish back tho.

Mark

Decent alarm clock, a big flask and alot of patience!

Heres one tip i've picked up over my first seasons wildfowling: Don't be late to flight!

Yesterday I got up at 0500hrs to have the Memsahib at local hospital for her cancer treatment at 0730.

Got back home with her at 1100. Got lunch for her and me. Ensured her mate was coming to be with her for the afternoon.

Sat 'till after dark in a raging gale and fired one shot - at a crow which I missed!

Drove home, tucked Memsahib up in bed, got my supper, walked our three other dogs.

Set alarm for 0500 hrs today so I could do the whole thing all over again - except the 'fowling.

All because I wanted one more visit to 'my' marsh because we may not get the licence renewed again after this season.

Now I have a problem. Should I sue Natural England who own the marsh? (They sold us the wildfowling licence).

Should I take out an injunction against my mate who assured me the place was crawling with ducks?

Or should I thank my lucky stars that my lovely missus nagged me to get out on my beloved marsh, albeit for just an afternoon, before the season finished.

My visits to any marsh have been few this season so I think I will stick with the latter.

If you are a true fowler then the bag is totally irrelevant to the enjoyment. I watched a harrier hunting, a sparrowhawk and a crow having a punch-up, and thousands and thousands of assorted gulls beating inland at low level to avoid the tempest at sea.

And - I very much enjoyed the company of Merlyn whilst I thought through my current load of problems and decided that, with a bit of luck, there was nothing that me and The Memsabib can't face whilst we have each other.

That's a post of real maturity my friend.

My thoughts and I'm sure those of many others are with you and The Memsabib.

Trust you will have time to continue the practice from time to time.

That's a post of real maturity my friend.

My thoughts and I'm sure those of many others are with you and The Memsabib.

Trust you will have time to continue the practice from time to time.

I certainly hope so Fisheruk.

Also hope to be at the PW Rifle Shoot this year - If they have one.

I hope they do - Last year was very enjoyable and I have bought a thicker sleepingbag too!

God bless you Ben..been there mate and I hope you have a simular happy outcome.And like you and a good few of our wildfowling family on this forum ive been a wildfowler for 40 years,and even in the few years that I was unable to go it was in the blood and more special in the heart.

Always worrying times and I sincerely hope things go your way. Although i don't know you, you come across as a gent and generally nice guy. The best of luck for you both. :good:

I certainly hope so Fisheruk.

Also hope to be at the PW Rifle Shoot this year - If they have one.

I hope they do - Last year was very enjoyable and I have bought a thicker sleepingbag too!

Yes it was a good do. I'm going down for the day on 17th so I will ask :-)