4x4 question

djgeoff

ok before i start , i am novice to 4 x4 this is my first car of this type.

its a shogun sport 2.5 turbo equippe... and i have upgraded tyres for off road with bfg at's due to the fact that i got stuck twice before and mate said you need decent tyres.

anyway my question relates to getting stuck yet again.... no funny comments please cuz i know there r many keyboard warriors on here.

ground was wet bit muddy nothing too serious, we parked just inside stubble field as parking on road side was dodgy, i parked away from gate on better ground.

before i entered field i engaged high 4... green 4x4 symbol on dash came on , flashed for few few seconds then steady green on to field turned around no problems.

at end of shoot and coming to get out was another story, mate in his ford ranger went first nice and easy straight out. (what you gonna say get ford ranger)

so i followed at same speed etc still in h4 where i had left it from when i entered field....... could i get out like hell.

according to mates holding gate open they were saying put it in 4 wheel drive i was saying it was... few expletives passed between use.

they were saying rear wheels were spinning, fronts were doing naf all... as though it was in two wheel drive.

i even tried low 4 still no good, i ended up reversing out.

i have been asking mate who has had 4x4 for ages ( hilux) and he said 'its diff lock problem', i said i have not got any buttons for diff lock he replied 'on some it automatic'.

what i can tell you is that is that when i put it in 4 wheel drive steering wheel becomes slightly stiffer, so i would presume that is in 4 wheel drive mode.

another chap said you have to reverse short distance to engage / disengage 4 wheel drive..... well i did that on the field because i had to reverse to get back to more reasonable ground to take a run at it, by the way there was slight rise up to this gate..... nothing a normal car could do in better ground conditions.

so what could the problem be? user or car?

thanks in advance

Edited by djgeoff

If you push the knob right forward and slightly to the right, it should go into "4LLC" which is 4 wheel drive, low box, with locked centre diff

When the diff lock is engaged, the orange light should come on, on your 4wd display panel.

On the mk2 the diff lock is powered by a vacuum pipe. Sometimes these gunk up and stop the centre diff lock from working

Have a look on the forum on www.pocuk.com do a search on it. It's full of helpful hints and common problems :D

Or your freewheeling hubs are knackered, only takes one to stuff things up. Not sure on the diff lock my last l200 had lockable rear diff but I've never looked on this one. The fact your 4wd light is coming on suggests the front axle is turning which is what makes me think it may be hubs. The fail free modification is to fit some manual locking ones from milners

i just stuck to standard size that was for the car, just changed for at's rather than normal road ones , thanks for the info all the same

Look elsewhere rather than tyre choice if a ranger walked through you have a more basic problem. Might be worth engaging 4x4 and stopping it in gear and turn the engine off, then see if you can turn the front driveshafts clockwise. If you can then you may have a problem. I had a fourtrak with iffy hubs and had exactly your problem

If you push the knob right forward and slightly to the right, it should go into "4LLC" which is 4 wheel drive, low box, with locked centre diff

When the diff lock is engaged, the orange light should come on, on your 4wd display panel.

On the mk2 the diff lock is powered by a vacuum pipe. Sometimes these gunk up and stop the centre diff lock from working

Have a look on the forum on www.pocuk.com do a search on it. It's full of helpful hints and common problems :D

ok its seems you are on to some here with the pipe on the mark 2

i contacted the mate who works at the garage where i bought it from and b4 i told him about your post he said there is a common problem with these models.

guess what low and behold the vacuum pipe.

so fingers crossed he is checking it out tomorrow for me.

thanks to all, will keep you posted.

re land-rover post funnily enough mate has one and his is stuck on is drive

Edited by djgeoff

If you don't want to be stuck get a landrover ;) a real landrover not one of these soft gaylanders though!

Exactly what I was going to write!

You need a set of mud terrains not all terrains. With the amount of water that we have had these past few months, the ground is so wet at the moment and all that all terrains really are is aggressive more expensive winter road tyres. All good and well for a slightly moist grass field but once there is a bit of the sticky stuff and the tread block gets packed with mud effectively turning you 'all terrains' into slicks.

You need a mud terrain pattern that has a larger tread block. look at the insa turbo dakars, they are a copy of the BFG MUDs at a fraction of the price. Don't be put off by the fact they are 're-molds'

http://www.paddockspares.com/26575r16itdak-265-75r16-insa-turbo-dakar-tyre-only.html

Good tread pattern and will not compromise your road handling or noise very much

Or go for these

http://www.paddockspares.com/26575r16itst-265-75r16-insa-turbo-special-track-tyre-only.html

You will NEVER get stuck with these. These are what I run and they are amazing. I've towed a trailer with over a tonne of grain over a field that has been chewed up by tractors with no problem at all.

Steve

I

Or ever super swamper boggers, would love these!!

Dr evil, are you on landy zone forum?

Are mudzillars any good? How do they compare the special tracks on and off the road?

TSL swampers get an excellent write up but so expensive!

I am and wouldn't know, Witshire landyman on there has had the fedimas which are the same tread as specials and is now on Mudzillas so he'll know :)

Usually if its not engaging 4x4 you don't get a solid green 4x4 light illuminate on the dash

thanks for ur input i am due to take back to where i bought in an hours time to get it all checked out ( for free i hope) chap there thinks it may have something to do with vacuum pipe, but as in my first post light does come on but flashes for about 10-15secs then solid green, but the front wheels were not driving.

thanks

flashing for a short while can happen, certainly does on mine which is probably the same basic mechanics. If the pipe is at fault you usually just get a flashing light which often then doesn't go out when you move the lever. The reason for questioning the hubs is that the driveshafts can turn but if the hubs are faulty they won't lock. Without them locked you just stay in 2wd

Edited by al4x

flashing for a short while can happen, certainly does on mine which is probably the same basic mechanics. If the pipe is at fault you usually just get a flashing light which often then doesn't go out when you move the lever. The reason for questioning the hubs is that the driveshafts can turn but if the hubs are faulty they won't lock. Without them locked you just stay in 2wd

no probs i am sure they know what they are doing but i will mention the hubs

thanks

ok its seems you are on to some here with the pipe on the mark 2

i contacted the mate who works at the garage where i bought it from and b4 i told him about your post he said there is a common problem with these models.

guess what low and behold the vacuum pipe.

so fingers crossed he is checking it out tomorrow for me.

thanks to all, will keep you posted.

re land-rover post funnily enough mate has one and his is stuck on is drive

So it seems a woman has told you how to fix your 4x4 , shame on you, I say shame on you :lol: