Thinking about .22 hornet

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's what they are best at ;)

They are like busses them there hornets non about then 10 s apear lol.

Try one of the ones not screw cut see if they will get it done for you as part of the deal. You never know.

Mine was 527 full stock version 2006 ,had the end screw cut and cut stock down and sanded looks the dogs dangles ,stands me at about 260 quid all in

Just one thing.

how laud is .22 hornet without sound moderator.

i know it is CF round but there is not much powder. is moderator must on hornet.

You will need ear protection if your firing more than 10 rounds in quick succession. I dont have one one mine at the mo and its usable and no louder than a shotgun in anycase.

I don't bother with parralax adjustable scopes, in over thirty years I have done fine without.

Hornet does not recoil strong, if your on a budget a budget scope will serve however it may deteriorate over a ten year period.

One thing to think about is that with a centerfire just a few good shots in the field will be satisfying. What I mean is where as a plinking session with an airgun involves many shots and also a 22lr maybe but with a CF just a few is rewarding.

U.

A hornet should compare with a .410 both unmoderated, the charge is about similar and the powder (as a guide only) the guns are light and handy so the moderator is no disadvantage. I think PA or not depends on the mag levels you choose and the ranges you wish to shoot over. Without question fine tuning the parallax helps produce accurate shooting when and were you have time to fiddle, off hand shooting at targets of short opportunity forget it likewise most lamping situations, waiting out vermin at extended ranges? yeah I use it

I don't think you will be needing more than 12x really pal.

Pace out 200 yards put a target down and have a look see what you think.

will go on field soon and check :good:

so simple yet superb advice.

is anyone have reloading data for lil gun powder.

i am thinking about using this one for reloading because it will do .410 as well.

Edited by alendil

will go on field soon and check :good:

so simple yet superb advice.

is anyone have reloading data for lil gun powder.

i am thinking about using this one for reloading because it will do .410 as well.

get some 35g vmax to go with it, use 12.6g lil gun and you wont go far wrong.

so i did pick up nice (mint condition) CZ 527 American .22 hornet

now it is time for scope

Hawke hd sport 4-12x50 or simmon Whitetail Classic 3.5 - 10 x 40 Duplex reticle.

i am still making my mind which scope to go for (any ideas)

for reloading i have hand press ,set of dies , some brass, set of scales, tumbler,

i know i need priming tool. what else. is overall case and bullet measure needed for hornet. anything else.

i am still making my mind which scope to go for (any ideas)

for reloading i have hand press ,set of dies , some brass, set of scales, tumbler,

i know i need priming tool. what else. is overall case and bullet measure needed for hornet. anything else.

Certainly not if your using Hornet specific bullets and a std magazine. Just load to std spec 1.720" I like a dialable on the Hornet and use a 6-18x40 Leupold with target turrets. Yesterday I had 3.5 moa windage dialled in to deal with a stiff wind at around 110-120 yds, if I needed to shoot further that day I might have seriously struggled with Kentucky style, likewise on any long shots. Have you got a powder dropper a funnel and case tray? if not they will make things a lot easier

i do have funnel case tray ( i am making it from nice block of wood)

how about case trimmer.

and scope so how about anything from MTC like mamba or viper (but adjustable paralax i am not sure about )

I have been told the mtc scopes are very good for the money :)

I have cases on there 3 rd and 4 th fireing and they haven't grown at all in length its the base that seems to swell on mine.

Are you full length or just neck sizing your brass ?

As fl you will prob need a trimmer eventually

Neck sizing only you will need a body sizing die eventually as they will swell at the base of the case making them a bit tough to get in the chamber but this should be many firings down the road.

I don't FLS, by the time that comes around the brass will be well on its way out on a hornet. up to 7 firings on my current batch of RWS and not a single chambering issue. I use an LE Wilson neck die with the appropriate bushing and don't anneal. I think the accuracy gradually has faded but its still as good as it needs to be for hunting. I don't trim any brass till I have to the brass will be dud before it gets too long I suspect

As for scope I wouldn't like to say as I have no real experience of those you mention. My scopes are all Leupold or S+Bender , with the exception of two Simmons WTC I have on a couple of air rifles. PA is a good idea for precision work or mag higher than 10x though