Thinking about .22 hornet

At the point no one holds stock of new ones and there are only a handful for sale on the entire uk that's pretty much obsolete in my book

No, it makes them rare but not obsolete. There are very few Taurus LBR's in dealers stock at present and few for sale in any event but they are hardly obsolete.

J.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A dealer shouldn't hold anything but the most requested calibres in stock new. I know a well know retailer who brought in a single .20 ruger for stock with a consignment of guns for clients and had it on the shelf gathering dust, lucky for him the new price rose to off set the cost of his tied up capital. I bet Edgar Bros have something ready to call off in .22 Hornet though

There's a Martini actioned .22 Hornet on Guntrader now.

http://www.guntrader...090620160800696

J.

You have to be careful of martinis in .22 Hornet. Years ago a lot of martinis were made in 297/230 Morris, a sort of centrefire equiv of the .22 RF. As the ammunition dried up a lot were converted to .22 Hornet which they did very easily by just re-cutting a different chamber into the barrel. However they were not really up to it, I don't think the rifling was the right twist or something and they always had a reputation for poor accuracy which has dogged the .22 Hornet ever since.

You have to be careful of martinis in .22 Hornet. Years ago a lot of martinis were made in 297/230 Morris, a sort of centrefire equiv of the .22 RF. As the ammunition dried up a lot were converted to .22 Hornet which they did very easily by just re-cutting a different chamber into the barrel. However they were not really up to it, I don't think the rifling was the right twist or something and they always had a reputation for poor accuracy which has dogged the .22 Hornet ever since.

The one in the ad says it's had the barrel re-lined by Parker at some point so it ws probably done properly. It could be, of course, that it was lined in .22RF and then re-chambered to Hornet.

J.

The one in the ad says it's had the barrel re-lined by Parker at some point so it ws probably done properly. It could be, of course, that it was lined in .22RF and then re-chambered to Hornet.

J.

A typical .22 RF is about 1-16 twist which is what a lot of the early hornets were,that wouldn't be considered fast enough by modern standards but goes a long way to explain the calibre's poor reputation

A typical .22 RF is about 1-16 twist which is what a lot of the early hornets were,that wouldn't be considered fast enough by modern standards but goes a long way to explain the calibre's poor reputation

I think your dead wrong 40 grn bullet is ideal in this twist 45 grn is also fine. that why .22 rim fire barrels carry the same twist. The calibre hasn't got a bad accuracy reputation, but a worn out and abused old rifle with the cheapest rubbish the shooter can find fed through it is hardly expected to shoot well in any chambering.

I would have to disagree my modern cz 527 hornet has a 1 in 16 twist and with all my home loads from 35gn to 40 gn will shoot sub 1" @ 100yd.

I would have to disagree my modern cz 527 hornet has a 1 in 16 twist and with all my home loads from 35gn to 40 gn will shoot sub 1" @ 100yd.

Mine wont shoot 35's at all but can put some .222 's etc to shame at 200 with 45's. The issue with Hornets is those that assume and perpetuate the myths, I was talked out of one for years by these people.

If you don't need the power offered by a 222/223 but want something to drop a fox with a high degree of certainty within your (albeit restricted compared to some more open areas) operating location, try a 50gn Hornady SPSX and see how you get on - a nice smooth shooting 12.6gn of Lil'Gun under it should produce a little under 2800ft/sec - you may just find out why.

As ever, there's always an element of personal preference.

If you don't need the power offered by a 222/223 but want something to drop a fox with a high degree of certainty within your (albeit restricted compared to some more open areas) operating location, try a 50gn Hornady SPSX and see how you get on - a nice smooth shooting 12.6gn of Lil'Gun under it should produce a little under 2800ft/sec - you may just find out why.

As ever, there's always an element of personal preference.

Yes sir!

The sxsp was a grand bullet in Hornet, so too the cheap Speer TNT.

55grain B'tips are a joy to shoot too, just fine over long enough :yes:

Shame folk hem them selves in all tight and rigid :rolleyes:

U.

i am still on look for one but first thing Thursday morning phone call to FLO about .22 hornet on my ticket.

its variation or one for one with .17 hmr

I seriously think you wont ever regret that. I was forced into it and was mad as heck at the time, however I feel not the slightest need for a HMR and a Hornet as the Hornet really does do all that and more / better

I think the Hornet is one of most underated calibers out there most people go for 222, 223, or 222.50 i have 243 for fox and deer

and a Hornet and a rimmie (.22).In the last 3months i have shot 34 foxes with the Hornet out to 180yards no runners 35grainvmax

not ideal for rabbits unless head shot.I dont reload but i dont think factory ammo is that badlly priced compared to the .243.

Some of my permissions are small and the hornet suits that perfectly with the t4 mod it is really quiet no recoil a joy to shoot

Mine is a cz 527 and is very accurate i think you have to patient if your buying 2nd hand,idid got mine from a guy in the isle of man

£460 for the gun and the mod well chuffed.

alb Lee

Interesting thread lads. :good: Hornet is a possibility for me at some stage, but I've heard some people say that it can be a difficult round to reload. Do you think it would be suited to a novice reloader?

It's as difficult as you want to make it. Some are obsessed in making it excessively so.

A novice is just a future expert. :good:

Go for it.

Interesting thread lads. :good: Hornet is a possibility for me at some stage, but I've heard some people say that it can be a difficult round to reload. Do you think it would be suited to a novice reloader?

Perfectly suited to a novice there is actually very little you can get wrong if you stick to hornet specific bullets and Lil gun powder. Reason I say that is too long or too short a COL is a common mistake on hand loads made by a newb and also over sizing the shoulder. The hornet has no shoulder as it headspaces on the rim and you would have to be a serious numpty to Jamb a std hornet bullet in the rifling. Lil gun has such a case filling capacity that you couldn't get too much inside, I know some just fill the case to capacity scape off the top and compress a bullet in. (not recommending you do this but it demonstrates my point)