Thinking about .22 hornet

One tip I'd like to give anyone starting to load for the .22 Hornet, get a universal expander die just to slightly flare the mouth of the casing for easier bullet seating, I also do this with most cartridges I reload.

Never done that to this aim- I do however use a VLD inside de-burrer as it eases the bullets passage into the neck once sized, if you use a std die tension rather than a correctly sized bushing for your brass expending is good though

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If I was going for a Ruger (which I wouldn't) it would be the no.1 not a 77 which is just a rimfire chassis. Ruger can shoot its all down to luck of the draw, Cz will shoot its all down to the nut behind the butt. Ruger make far more money from their 10-22 etc than they do with hornet rifles, hence they don't even bother to make / buy in a hornet specific barrel

How do you spell intransigence?

Ford Model T in black, I take it!?

No 1, naturally. :good::lol:

its look like .22 hornets are quite expensive guns to buy.

any idea what scope to go on top of it.

I don't know were you get that from? Cz list prices? forget them total fiction! There are many choices for a point and shoot gun its hard to beat a 6x42 of German quality. I have a leupold variable on mine 6-18 x with parallax and target turrets as I like to mess about with some longer range stuff once you get to about 200 yds and over your pretty much limited to dialing in the dopes . You don't want too big an objective in too high a mount as not only does it make a small lightweight gun unwieldy it also effects your short range shots and the hornet is pretty good for sub 25 yds headshots on bunnies and the like

I bought a CZ 527 second hand and I am delighted with it, not had a real chance to do some reloading with it due to the winter weather and the lack of daylight etc but I am looking forward to the summer months.

I got this sent to me by a PW member when I was deciding which hornet to buy, have a look, I found it interesting.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.tvg/Selectingariflein.22%20Hornet.pdf

I recently nearly went back to hornet (if I did not get the variation I wanted) and it would of been a CZ.

Seen to many and owned one to know how good they are, triggers are easy to adjust and the bolt is easy to slick up too.

They are 1'-14" twist and handle more than 50 grainers that rake fox a treat and don't destroy rabbits.

An Anschutz would be a good buy, seen a mint one turn to rust over the years by a neglecting game keeper, makes my blood boil!

I am put off by the 17, I shot a large fox with one of my hornets (BSA) and struck the front leg (our elbo) but despite joint destroyed and bullet destroyed a nugget still penetrated the chest, a short dash and she was down. 45grns verses 20 or so grns is a bit of a no brainer to me! I spent alot of time with a 17Rem and it did ok, as long as the wind was less than 10mph, no gusts, no rain or even drizzle. In saying all that the 17 will always be very very safe!

There seems a trend these days that to some how far they can brag about long distance shooting fulfills some kind of need in them. I get more satisfaction from a 25yd shot than I ever did from a hundreds of yards shot and there was a few of them. It is always more satisfying getting/being real close to a critter than fiddling with yer scope, doping the wind, lasering the range and so on and so on.

Each their own though and any one with a 17 has my respect all the same and are welcome a walk with me. I would love to see it in action!

Here is a recovered modified cheap S&B 45grn fmj bullet.

hornettest001.jpg

Shot on a to slow a powder for hornet but giving 22mag performance it made a good rabbit load shot from the car at night to around 75yds(head shots) for windy nights.

U.

I was planning to do a lot of reduced load stuff with the hornet, yet when I got out there and just used it I found its simply was not required. I have shot a fair few short range squatting rabbits in the lamp now with full power 45 grn bullets and never wasted a single one. With this same load the energy is certainly ok for a 200yds fox. If you want to push it out further for crow and the likes you can, its certainly more effective being a couple of hundred yards from your bait than within say HMR range once they wise up. Even when the bullet has dropped to 1/3 of its initial muzzle speed a 45 grn bullet is going to be very fatal on a centre mass shot, cant say that about a hmr. Pushing things out to silly ranges on paper is great fun and a cheaper learning experience / practice than getting your 22-250 or .243 glowing cherry red but a std 6x42 on a light in weight hunting rifle taking on all commers up to fox size and shooting on a point and squirt basis out to around 160 yds? well that's why its been around so darn long! The age of the moderated c/f rifle has only enhanced a calibre that burns only half the powder of the .222 rem say with talk of noise abatement and stupid townie neighbours calling in the police chopper . Times of austerity mean we can no longer sniff and say "oh well" when we burn yet another of our barrels out or need to buy yet another tub of powder for our Kerzoomer guns. Most of all though its just sort of fun to use something which is just enough gun for the job!

I was planning to do a lot of reduced load stuff with the hornet, yet when I got out there and just used it I found its simply was not required. I have shot a fair few short range squatting rabbits in the lamp now with full power 45 grn bullets and never wasted a single one. With this same load the energy is certainly ok for a 200yds fox. If you want to push it out further for crow and the likes you can, its certainly more effective being a couple of hundred yards from your bait than within say HMR range once they wise up. Even when the bullet has dropped to 1/3 of its initial muzzle speed a 45 grn bullet is going to be very fatal on a centre mass shot, cant say that about a hmr. Pushing things out to silly ranges on paper is great fun and a cheaper learning experience / practice than getting your 22-250 or .243 glowing cherry red but a std 6x42 on a light in weight hunting rifle taking on all commers up to fox size and shooting on a point and squirt basis out to around 160 yds? well that's why its been around so darn long! The age of the moderated c/f rifle has only enhanced a calibre that burns only half the powder of the .222 rem say with talk of noise abatement and stupid townie neighbours calling in the police chopper . Times of austerity mean we can no longer sniff and say "oh well" when we burn yet another of our barrels out or need to buy yet another tub of powder for our Kerzoomer guns. Most of all though its just sort of fun to use something which is just enough gun for the job!

Precisely.

I am loathe to add more because that really does wrap up the benefit of the calibre in a nutshell. However, here comes the, 'but'. Referring to the "silly ranges on paper" and "cheaper learning experience", there are a range of representative fox targets available - possibly one of the best being by JDV Archery Products. These have no target sites marked so you have to learn/know where to place your shot but the vital areas are lightly marked so that you can check close up whether or not you've got it right (I would imagine that the archers use these as a scoring system). As said, a very cost effective and fun (especially when the target is placed somewhere where the background matches that on the target) learning experience.

I recently nearly went back to hornet (if I did not get the variation I wanted) and it would of been a CZ.

Seen to many and owned one to know how good they are, triggers are easy to adjust and the bolt is easy to slick up too.

They are 1'-14" twist and handle more than 50 grainers that rake fox a treat and don't destroy rabbits.

An Anschutz would be a good buy, seen a mint one turn to rust over the years by a neglecting game keeper, makes my blood boil!

I am put off by the 17, I shot a large fox with one of my hornets (BSA) and struck the front leg (our elbo) but despite joint destroyed and bullet destroyed a nugget still penetrated the chest, a short dash and she was down. 45grns verses 20 or so grns is a bit of a no brainer to me! I spent alot of time with a 17Rem and it did ok, as long as the wind was less than 10mph, no gusts, no rain or even drizzle. In saying all that the 17 will always be very very safe!

There seems a trend these days that to some how far they can brag about long distance shooting fulfills some kind of need in them. I get more satisfaction from a 25yd shot than I ever did from a hundreds of yards shot and there was a few of them. It is always more satisfying getting/being real close to a critter than fiddling with yer scope, doping the wind, lasering the range and so on and so on.

Each their own though and any one with a 17 has my respect all the same and are welcome a walk with me. I would love to see it in action!

Here is a recovered modified cheap S&B 45grn fmj bullet.

hornettest001.jpg

Shot on a to slow a powder for hornet but giving 22mag performance it made a good rabbit load shot from the car at night to around 75yds(head shots) for windy nights.

U.

I thought cz hornet was 1in16?

That is why i am after hornet

how many foxes are shot over 200 yards or even 150 yards.

cheap to run and easy to reload on top of it easy to moderate and light.

i was thinking about .223 but in real life even shooting some moorland area i dont need that much power.

Meaby in futer when my permit expand to some deer shooting i will go for .243.

That is why i am after hornet

how many foxes are shot over 200 yards or even 150 yards.

cheap to run and easy to reload on top of it easy to moderate and light.

i was thinking about .223 but in real life even shooting some moorland area i dont need that much power.

Meaby in futer when my permit expand to some deer shooting i will go for .243.

After owning a stack of different rifles my conclusion is a an air rifle, .22 lr , .22 hornet and .243 win covers all UK needs in the hunting field short of Boar (which few of us have access to anyway) - I believe a true cylinder 12g with a slug can do a far job though in the woods on those though !

Most of boars in Poland are shot with slug.

at the moment i use .22 LR and .17 HMR 410 hushpower and 12b

so there is space for one centerfire.

The HMR can be replaced by the Hornet. I was forced into this action as I was told 7 rifles listed for vermin was too many- I hate to admit it but the head of licencing was correct though from a different standpoint. Sell the hummer and put it towards the hornet IMO if you have no land clearance issues

So another thing. just finish caling 9th gun shop and there is no .22 hornets for sale. just new one on special order (CZ 527 for 580 gbp is it good price)

and gun trader is showing only 6 for sale of wich hal of them is not screw cut for sound mod.

is there any one thinking of seling .22 hornet

So another thing. just finish caling 9th gun shop and there is no .22 hornets for sale. just new one on special order (CZ 527 for 580 gbp is it good price)

and gun trader is showing only 6 for sale of wich hal of them is not screw cut for sound mod.

is there any one thinking of seling .22 hornet

I paid £630 new for an American screw cut, the American comes with a set of medium mounts - the other models do not. The list is about £800 or something equally daft.

A long way from obsolete. Dealer trying to sell you what he's got, rather than what you want.

J.

That's what they are best at ;)

They are like busses them there hornets non about then 10 s apear lol.

Try one of the ones not screw cut see if they will get it done for you as part of the deal. You never know.