Thinking about .22 hornet

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Still waiting.

on that note there is new one. what scope for .22 hornet up to 350gbp.

Depends on what you want it to do a 6x42 S+Bender Hungarian is nice on a walk and point gun OR a fair dialable variable (maybe stretch to a cheaper Leupold) on a varminting gun don't realy need anything over 20x. Both would need to be S/H at todays prices.

I think its honestly down to how hot burning your powder of choice is and how you take care of the cleaning. Actually shooting out a .22 hornet will take at least twice as long as a .222 say based on comparative powder loads alone as a rough estimate but there is more to it than that. I think corrosion is more the killer of hornets, condensation forming in an unprotected bore, dirty gun getting left in the safe, wet ammo being chambered then ejected unfired. I know one keeper who claims to have shot one out but I have seen how he treats his guns and believe you me it had nothing to do with round count :rolleyes: This is one of the good things about the .22 Hornet, not only is each round very cheap in comparison to all other c/fires, one must think twice about playing with a .243" or .22 swift, 22-250 etc. Based on current barrel / replacement gun costs you could do with adding at least 50p to the cost of use every time such a gun goes bang!

so if gun was well loked after its safe to say that after 1000 shots its still ok.

how much will cost (more or less) to rebarrel hornet.

I think its fair to say expect at least 10x as many as that. you wouldn't generally re-barrel a gun that cost less than about £1000 brand new to gain the same calibre. even the real barrel burners are good for 1000 if you don't shoot them continuous rapid fire. The average reasonable heavy user at 500 a year can expect 20 yrs I think

I think its fair to say expect at least 10x as many as that. you wouldn't generally re-barrel a gun that cost less than about £1000 brand new to gain the same calibre. even the real barrel burners are good for 1000 if you don't shoot them continuous rapid fire. The average reasonable heavy user at 500 a year can expect 20 yrs I think

that is good to know ( i am thinking about anschutz )

i did some diging and new CZ 457 is about 630gbp new.

i can get anschutz with sound mod and scope for not that much more.

i know it will shoot like cz but its better on my pocket and stil realy well made gun.

edit

it is Weihrauch not anschutz sorry

Edited by alendil

i did some diging and new CZ 457 is about 630gbp new.

i can get anschutz with sound mod and scope for not that much more.

i know it will shoot like cz but its better on my pocket and stil realy well made gun.

edit

it is Weihrauch not anschutz sorry

Sounds like your comparing a new CZ American with second hand HW. The advantage in the CZ is its barrel and how its cut in one operation, concentricity from were the case headspaces on the rim so along the rifling is paramount to how a hornet shoots. I think The HW is chambered into a barrel blank?

Sounds like your comparing a new CZ American with second hand HW. The advantage in the CZ is its barrel and how its cut in one operation, concentricity from were the case headspaces on the rim so along the rifling is paramount to how a hornet shoots. I think The HW is chambered into a barrel blank?

Keep on hearing this point of view, in fact it's probably the only advantage of the CZ that's ever expressed- or so it seems. The one point that is always absent is the fact that tolerances over-ride methodology.

Bear in mind that The HW is a rear locking bolt.

Also bear in mind that due to not alot of heat generated from a shot from a Hornet any water vapour created on firing instantly condenses on the cool bore. This can form into drops that then linger and start a rust spot and so on.

I don't own a Hornet now but after finding this out for my self I would always run a dry patch down the bore when I came in from a walk with it after a shot or two. Never noticed it in 22mag and did in a heavey 222barrel once!

My 357 gets the same treatment as that too does not get hot from a single shot in cold weather.

Hotter rounds like 223, 243, 6.5x55, 30wcf and 308 I have never seen it happen.

Rain or dew entering just in side the muzzle is a barrel killer too!

U.

Keep on hearing this point of view, in fact it's probably the only advantage of the CZ that's ever expressed- or so it seems. The one point that is always absent is the fact that tolerances over-ride methodology.

The tolerances are actually what we are talking about, its a total myth that cz are cheap nasty guns poorly made. Take a look at the bluing the use of metals were many use plastic, put a bore scope down one. In the past many other makes were of a higher build quality than today CZ seems to have been constantly improving though they always were straight shooters.

Bear in mind that The HW is a rear locking bolt.

Also bear in mind that due to not alot of heat generated from a shot from a Hornet any water vapour created on firing instantly condenses on the cool bore. This can form into drops that then linger and start a rust spot and so on.

I don't own a Hornet now but after finding this out for my self I would always run a dry patch down the bore when I came in from a walk with it after a shot or two. Never noticed it in 22mag and did in a heavey 222barrel once!

My 357 gets the same treatment as that too does not get hot from a single shot in cold weather.

Hotter rounds like 223, 243, 6.5x55, 30wcf and 308 I have never seen it happen.

Rain or dew entering just in side the muzzle is a barrel killer too!

U.

although I harp on about it, you must clean well and get an oiled patch down any gun after use. before use patch out with meths. (maybe exception is the .22 lr as most ammo is full of oily wax and they are the only ones that really need settling in after a clean) just sorting the .243 now after a load test ten rounds through it and I will deep clean and oil even though it will be out again soon, maybe even tonight if the wind picks up. Dryed off steel can still corrode without some protection in a house central heating or otherwise

Edited by kent