Pump Club

thepasty

Well I already knocked up a very crude prototype from 20mm plastic conduit and gaffa tape :)

Sits in the mag and stays put under spring tension. I have access to a lathe so can knock up a more suitable piece if needs be. TBH for where I shoot mainly it isn't really a problem, out of slip, in stand, shoot, back in slip.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Managed to get out and put a few through the M37 this morning. Didn't get off to a great start....Load, pump, "pull", bang, pu...., damn, jammed very first shot. Seems it doesn't like Eley Firsts. Jammed on the next go with the Eley . Ok, what have I got in the bag....RC2s and Gamebore...ok, tried both of those and no further problems. I'll avoid the firsts in the pump then.

Other than that, I started to get the hang of pumping between pairs and even managed to hit a few :) Overall it was good fun and the gun felt really good. I'll look forward to having a go on the next Norfolk flush I can get to.

My Mossy 500 hates Eley Firsts. It will cycle other 67mm carts no problem. I use a 21g Hull Comp x at 65mm in the chamber and ANY 67mm or 70mm other then Firsts in the mag when shooting clays. I think that the closed length of Firsts is coser to a 65mm cart most other brands.

Well I already knocked up a very crude prototype from 20mm plastic conduit and gaffa tape :)

Mine's aluminium and bronze. (The bronze was because I'd run out of suitably-sized ally bar.)

Sits in the mag and stays put under spring tension.

Ummmm, surely mean "sits in the *chamber*"? (At least, that's where they're *supposed* to go.)

I have access to a lathe so can knock up a more suitable piece if needs be.

Ah, I feel something "steam punk" would be in order.

Regards,

Mark.

Mark,

No sits in the mag. I don't see how you could get a safety flag into the chamber of the 37, it would get chopped off no?

The visual sign the gun is empty is not for me, so it doesn't really need to sit in the chamber. All other safe handling procedures still apply of course.

No sits in the mag.

If you merely plug the mag, there may still be a round in the chamber.

I assume that your flag stops the bolt going into battery?

I don't see how you could get a safety flag into the chamber of the 37

It's like any other pump-action except that the ribbon sticks out of the bottom rather than the side. (My homemade flags have *long* ribbons, but even a Napier's is visible.)

it would get chopped off no?

Sorry, I'm not with you, here. The end of the flag will stop the bolt going very far forwards.

The visual sign the gun is empty is not for me, so it doesn't really need to sit in the chamber.

Ah, it's the *chamber* that's the important bit. Even if the mag's empty, you *really* don't want a safety flag that could leave the gun with "one up the spout".

Regards,

Mark.

Mark (chaos)

My problems will eley's first are also failure to eject. I would have to take the barrel off or get a cleaning rod to dislodge the cartridge that is stuck in the chamber. Very occasionally a couple of racks would eject the casing but 9/10 it would get stuck good and proper.

I did think it could be weak exstractors causing the problem. However to this date I have not had one stoppage with one other cartridge. I haven't put this down the cartraidge length as it seems to cycle all other 65mm, 67mm just fine.

When comparing the eley first with other brands the "lip" on the base seems to be quite small and not as pronounced which might not be giving enough area for the exstractor to claw around.

Until this problem occurs with other cartridges I am just happy to avoid the firsts and stick to comp x & super fast. Shame because the eley firsts are very cheap at one of the shooting ground I attend!

Looking forward to giving the M37 another outing soon! :)

I find the M37 LOP very small, I was looking for a screw on exact fit recoil pad to fix this. Such as a limbsaver or kick eez to add an extra 1". However the off the shelf ones are for pre 1970's and wouldn't fit the size of my stock. Any suggestions?

My problems will eley's first are also failure to eject.

I assume that you mean "Failure To *Extract*"? I've had a few problems with my M37s but I've *never* had an FTEj.

it would get stuck good and proper.

My FTEx woes got worse but never got so bad that I had to use a rod to get the fired hull out.

I did think it could be weak exstractors causing the problem.

Indeed. Until I fitted dem spares, the problem didn't *completely* go away.

I haven't put this down the cartraidge length

As far as cartridge *length* is concerned, my M37 appears to "eat" *anything* - from long buckshot (6+1) down to extra-short carts for old guns (10+1).

When comparing the eley first with other brands the "lip" on the base seems to be quite small and not as pronounced which might not be giving enough area for the exstractor to claw around.

You are following my footsteps; I've been through the rim-measuring saga as well. :)

I am just happy to avoid the firsts and stick to comp x & super fast.

Well, at least you have a "solution". Not a *good* solution, but a solution, nonetheless.

I find the M37 LOP very small, I was looking for a screw on exact fit recoil pad to fix this. Such as a limbsaver or kick eez to add an extra 1". However the off the shelf ones are for pre 1970's and wouldn't fit the size of my stock. Any suggestions?

Sorry, I'm not a big guy and LOP wasn't an issue for me on the M37. Recoil? *What* recoil? :)

Regards,

Mark.

P.S. I put a Decelarator pad on my Chiappa 1887, but that was to stop the butt dropping out of my shoulder when working the lever.

If you merely plug the mag, there may still be a round in the chamber.

I assume that your flag stops the bolt going into battery?

It's like any other pump-action except that the ribbon sticks out of the bottom rather than the side. (My homemade flags have *long* ribbons, but even a Napier's is visible.)

Sorry, I'm not with you, here. The end of the flag will stop the bolt going very far forwards.

Ah, it's the *chamber* that's the important bit. Even if the mag's empty, you *really* don't want a safety flag that could leave the gun with "one up the spout".

Regards,

Mark.

I'm not with you I'm afraid. How do you get the flag past the shell lifters? Or do you stuff it in the mag as normal and pump?

How do you get the flag past the shell lifters?

Smart****. :)

I can't actually *visualize* it, right now. I reckon, with the "standard" plastic Napier flag, that it's narrow enough for the forks to pass. (Unless mine are bent wider than yours.) With my spring-loaded one, it's not an issue because the spring keeps the bolt right back.

It would appear that I'm going to have to get me gun out and investigate, later today.

I will say that I've never had a problem using a flag with the M37. (I don't think that those plastic "hole-bunger-upper" types would fit, though, *if* I remember correctly.)

Or do you stuff it in the mag as normal and pump?

Absolutely *not*.

Regards,

Mark.

no one will know if you point it at stuff and mutter 'bang'

Dang. I've been rumbled...

After my last post, I had a quick "grope" on YouTube to see if I could find film of someone deploying a safety-flag. No chance.

Either my "Google-fu" on YouTube is shot to Hell or we need some introductory shotgun videos. (I *have* been finking of doing video reviews of my Ithaca M37 DSPS and Chiappa 1887, but I'm too lazy...)

Regards,

Mark.

Edited by ChAoS

How do you get the flag past the shell lifters?

D'oh! I *knew* the answer to this; I can't believe that I'd forgotten because I have to do this every time I load a round directly into the chamber.

The shell lifters are only down right at the *end* of the stroke. Hence, to load a round - or flag - directly into the chamber, just open the action right up and push the forend a *little* forwards. The lifting arms will obediently shift up out of the way.

Try it and see...

Regards,

Mark.

Edited by ChAoS

I'm taking absense from pump club, my mossy 500 is going in favour of a remmy 1100... :/

My mossy is up for grabs, 1984 Mossy 500AG 8+1 24" with clect choke system, looking for around £160.

:(

Fair one! Good price, should shift easy.

If you like the 1100 fit isn't an 870 very similar in fit and poi ect? Would be a smooth transition back to pumps in the future if you felt the pull!

I am becoming drawn into the idea of owning a Pump action. They do look big and clever me thinks. Not many people shooting clays with them.

I enjoy beating everyone with my old side by side hammergun....its a real bag of **** !! Now it's time to shoot with a pump.

What would you suggest? not got much spare dosh but want something decent. is the SXP from Winchester any good ? or should I go Mossberg..or Benelli ?? 350 squid for an SXP does seem tempting !!

any advice welcome !!

Some 1100's are, some aren't. I had an old wooden stocked one before that was a longer stock that my 870.

My current 11-87 sportsman however feels very similar indeed, 26" barrel, same length stock (only plastic).

my bro's 870 express doesnt fit me like an 1100 :/

870 v supernova

I shot both over the weekend , first with the new supernova, brand new gun and using game bore 32g , got to about 50 carts went to load, gun jams, bolt seized gouging out plastic from roof of gun, few comments they don't do that, so no time to fix switch to 870, no trouble . Benelli gets taken apart that night , scrape marks on chamber roof.

2nd day go to load benelli jams same as first day, take it apart , more scrape marks on roof of chamber, put back together , put about 100 carts and does it again, strip and keep using it.

It's going back under warranty

I like the supernover and I like the 870 but the 870 worked faultless and smooth and I think has a shorter stroke than the benelli, my view

870 v supernova

I shot both over the weekend , first with the new supernova, brand new gun and using game bore 32g , got to about 50 carts went to load, gun jams, bolt seized gouging out plastic from roof of gun, few comments they don't do that, so no time to fix switch to 870, no trouble . Benelli gets taken apart that night , scrape marks on chamber roof.

2nd day go to load benelli jams same as first day, take it apart , more scrape marks on roof of chamber, put back together , put about 100 carts and does it again, strip and keep using it.

It's going back under warranty

I like the supernover and I like the 870 but the 870 worked faultless and smooth and I think has a shorter stroke than the benelli, my view

Stuart

This issue has developed in a friends Supernova after many thousands of rounds, but it is intermittent & we are yet to find the true cause, I know of many others that have been trouble free so it's not a common fault, please let me know of any feedback regarding it after you send the gun back.

I think that in the 870 v Supernova debate each side will have its supporters, I own both & each has its good & bad points & it really depends on what you intend to use the gun for that will determine which one you take out of the cabinet.

The 870 is easier to carry if your out vermin hunting & looks more traditional especially if you like wood on your guns, if your aiming to be competitive at a PSG event then I would choose the Nova due to its speed at reloading it, both are reliable systems, the 870 weakness is the shell stops that snap off at the ends & also extractor claws which break but both are reasonably easy to fix.

The Supernova can be a little rough around the edges out of the box & I have had to smooth out a few issues due to burred edges on some parts within the trigger group in order to smooth things out, but once done they prove reliable & are the gun you need if you want to win in pump division.

As I say, I have both & enjoy shooting them, it just depends what you want to do with it.

N