Learning to decoy

bigfish1

Im new to pigeon shooting got permision on small farm, been a couple of times shot only a couple of birds.when I set decoys up I put them in a u shape plenty of space in middle but dosnt seem to draw many in. Is they anywhere in teeside area u can pay or learn how to decoy properly? Any advise please.

in the same boat mate so dont worry, our last two trips have produced one bird,thats with bouncers and a magnet and decoys but there feeding elsewhere so its not you its the pigeons, out in the morning for the day field has just been ploughed so will be taking the crow decoys in the hope to draw a few in, but it is always difficult at this time of year so just keep plugging away

Get yourself a flapper, add it to your pattern, movement always helps, have a look at the decoy pattern item on this forum, very helpful, but if they still dont come keep trying, change the pattern around, always try to have the wind at your back, watch the birds , see where they are feeding or moving along flight lines, try to get yourself where the birds are most active, if you dont have birds moving around your position it will be very slow. it can only get better as the warmer weather arrives and the crops get going. best of luck :lol:

Keep at it, this time of year is notoriously difficult to get the pigeons to decoy to any pattern!

Although some movement generated by bouncers and/or a magnet would help!

Good luck

Totally agree and try to get yourself under a decent flightline so if they are not decoying you can at least have a go at some flying over.

Keep at it, this time of year is notoriously difficult to get the pigeons to decoy to any pattern!

Although some movement generated by bouncers and/or a magnet would help!

Good luck

spot on tight.

only thing i don`t do is a u shape bigfish, i`ve never seen pigeons land in a u shape so just random but i do leave a blank area for landing birds, like tightchoke said movement is a must for me.but it`s hard everywhere at the moment.

spot on tight.

only thing i don`t do is a u shape bigfish, i`ve never seen pigeons land in a u shape so just random but i do leave a blank area for landing birds, like tightchoke said movement is a must for me.but it`s hard everywhere at the moment.

The 'U' shape pattern isn't used because pigeons land in a 'U', it's just a method of getting the birds in a certain area to kill them. I personally have never seen pigeons chase each other in a 3 metre circle, but i still use a magnet.